Main Menu

2000 AD Cover of the Year 2020 - RESULTS!

Started by Pete Wells, 03 January, 2021, 01:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Well, the spreadsheet has worked it's magic and it really was a four horse race, which is fitting, seeing as we are in the end of days! Places 2-4 were REALLY close, so I'm including the all in the results, but the winner absolutely ROMPED it!

So, in REVERSE order we have...

In FOURTH place, it's Alex Ronald with his beautifully composed, dinosaurs and judges cover which is utterly brilliant and totally 2000 AD!

In THIRD place, I'm DELIGHTED to say, is the masterpiece that is Steven Austin and Chris Blythe's beautiful flower power cover of 2211.

In SECOND place, a droid who had appeared in the winning list pretty much every year, is the force of nature that is Tiernen Trevallion and his stonking, rather terrifying cover to Prog 2209...

But the out and out WINNER, up from third place last year, is everyone's pal, PJ with his gloriously composed, beautifully coloured Noam Chimpsky cover of 2178. A proper stunner that got a HUGE share of the vote! Well done PJ!!!

Here it is in all it's glory!

Thanks to EVERYONE that voted! Here's to another year of thrill powered covers!

shaolin_monkey

Yay! Noam Chimpsky wins the day again! Naturally I am pleased with this result.

Colin YNWA

Thanks so much for running these Pete - absolutely lovely to have you back, even if for only a brief time. All those covers are worthy of there placing and for once I'm delighted to have vote for the winner...

and here's why (well in part, the main why is cos its a wonderful cover), comes some braggery.

I picked that cover up from the delightful PJ Holden. Its a wonderful piece but also starky different to the final cover, showcasing the power of the digital colourist, in this case PJ himself.

TordelBack

What a brilliant lineup of winners, congratulations to all - especially Steven Austin, who places with only his third cover!

Chimpsky swings from last year's 3rd to 1st to win PJ all the bananas in this 20th year since Tharg fitted his restraining bolt. This was the stand-out cover for me this year.

Thanks for running this, Pete! Would I be right in thinking Jake Lynch's multiple stylish Dredds might have split his vote? I was expecting to see him in one of the top spots.

Steven Austin

Thanks so much to everyone who cast a vote for Chris and my 2211 cover.

I'm extremely humbled to have reached top 3 especially among such tough competition, there have been some stunning cover artwork throughout 2020.

A very happy new year to everyone here and I hope to get some more work in 2021, as I have mouths to feed!

pauljholden

Thanks chums, I guess the lesson for me here is to never not draw a monkey on a cover.

-PJ

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 03 January, 2021, 10:48:51 AM
Thanks chums, I guess the lesson for me here is to never not draw a monkey on a cover.

Just think how much more you would have won by if you'd remembered to give him a hat...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Andrew_J

The Chimpsky cover by PJ is a well deserved winner.
Not that I voted for it, mind (although now that I see it again, I wish I did).

Colin YNWA

There's the old wisdom that the most popular covers for comics feature, apes, dinosaurs and the colour purple. Which lead to this classic cover made simply to met those criteria.

You know what to do next PJ!

norton canes

A beautiful cover and deserved winner.

If I could change anything I'd remove the rather superfluous sub-title so as to show it in even more uncluttered glory.

IndigoPrime

It's pretty ropey typography—that's what for me dropped it down to the #2 spot. I do get the feeling 2000 AD's current designer isn't as comfortable with typography as their predecessor was.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 January, 2021, 10:26:26 AM
There's the old wisdom that the most popular covers for comics feature, apes, dinosaurs and the colour purple.

[ ...]

You know what to do next PJ!

Charlton Heston in a rocking chair?