Thrills Over Time

Started by Funt Solo, 09 January, 2021, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 January, 2021, 07:30:17 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 10 January, 2021, 07:22:20 PM
Ro-Busters?
*Throws a tomato at Cosh*
Haha. Savage is linked now but it's easier to ignore for me as it's all about the production line whereas it's explicitly the same characters of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein in Ro-Busters. Of course Starlord should be included. Don't tell me you're planning to start Strontium Dog from Galaxy Killers.

I was cataloguing the Complete Future Shocks books for Barney the other week and something quite fascinating happens around Prog 200 if you fancy tackling that.

Lovely work but I think a bar chart would look better for the page count when your dataset has so many natural gaps.
We never really die.

TordelBack

I issue a challenge: all the Edgiverse strips on one graph/chart, page totals cumulative.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2021, 10:56:08 PM
I issue a challenge: all the Edgiverse strips on one graph/chart, page totals cumulative.
Ha! And you have to visualise it as a pie/donut chart with the segments corresponding to the doors in the Temple of Mithras.
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2021, 10:56:08 PM

So, my Edgiverse Occult Knowledge is weak. I'm going to guess it's Leviathan, Red Seas and Stickleback that have clear links in terms of shared characters and totems. What am I missing?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 10 January, 2021, 10:50:56 PM
I was cataloguing the Complete Future Shocks books for Barney the other week and something quite fascinating happens around Prog 200 if you fancy tackling that.

I'm a little embarrassed, but I actually just had this data lying around (as Future Shocks against anthology totals*):

I also have the separate anthologies tabulated (Twisters, Robo-Tales etc.), but when you combine everything on one chart it gets a bit messy. I didn't include the Megazine on this one, so no Black Museum (yet).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 10 January, 2021, 10:50:56 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 January, 2021, 07:30:17 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 10 January, 2021, 07:22:20 PM
Ro-Busters?
*Throws a tomato at Cosh*
Haha.

You're right - bar chart looks better. Also, combines data well. This one drops the pp vs. episodes thing and just presents the episode total, which reduces clutter:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Ah - realized that my bar chart version of Future Shocks was incorrect as it counted the Shocks twice and then stacked. So, fixed that here:

And then, because that kind of graph works better than a line graph, I thought this was worth sharing. You weren't imagining all those one-offs in the 80s...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Need to stop, but it's too much fun - revamped Sin-Dex as a combo line/bar affair, a bit more spread out:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

So in 1998 Sin/Dex run for the while year?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

davidbishop

Not quite. Prog 1100 was the single Slaine story issue, Lord of the Beasts.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2021, 02:40:02 PMThat's the thing, though: what proportion of Pat's work isn't in (luxury) print?
I don't get this either. There were people on Twitter asking Mills about this exact point, but he seemed to dodge the question or point to specific series that have been overlooked (such as the divisive Finn).

Sure, some bits of recent series haven't been collected yet (and, sadly, the mooted Metalzoic reprint came to nothing), but as others here have noted, he's had a bloody good run when it comes to 2000 AD/Rebellion, which so rarely puts out HCs. And yet he has spent so much time slagging both off, and at times veering into libellous territory.

AlexF

Loving these graphs!
How about combining Caballistics, Absalom and Diaboliks? (and I suppose you could throw Necronauts in which is thematically similar if entirely unconnected plotwise).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 11 January, 2021, 10:57:52 AM
Loving these graphs!
How about combining Caballistics, Absalom and Diaboliks? (and I suppose you could throw Necronauts in which is thematically similar if entirely unconnected plotwise).

Thanks to a reference to Necronauts by Ravne in the second Cabs story, you can make a case that it's all connected.
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

Quote from: broodblik on 11 January, 2021, 06:18:31 AM
So in 1998 Sin/Dex run for the while year?

Murder 101 started in prog 1051 ('97), and that run got interrupted with prog 1077 (the all-Dredd In The Year 2120), then again with prog 1100 (all-Slaine Lord of the Beasts) and prog 1101 (a jump-on), 1111 (a jump-off), then ends with Eurocrash in prog 1139 ('99).

That gives you an 89 prog span (with only 4 blips).

The span includes double episodes (15), triple episodes (1) and the full prog 1138 takeover.

At the time, it felt like the prog was a three-hander with Dredd and Sinister Dexter being the tent poles and Dante being the tent. All the other thrills were just a variety of circus acts.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 January, 2021, 10:15:25 PM
Am I the only one to think, "wait, SinDex is 25 years old?"

That means there will be readers who were born after it started. I know that is the case, and I know that it's not a shock. But somehow I didn't apprecaite it.

I can't quite claim that, but yeah - I was leaving Primary School the year SinDex started, and I'm now a dad in my mid-30s (and feeling more like mid-40s!). Meanwhile SinDex haven't managed a single grey hair between 'em!
@jamesfeistdraws