Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Stainless Steel Rat vs. Shakara Round 2 Heat 128

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 May, 2022, 06:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

And we've done it... we've made it... the final week of the seemingly unending Round 2. It amazes me that we've stayed the distance, not killed each other over the course of these last 16 weeks, our love persists and maybe we need to take a break before charging headlong into anything else? I mean this week ends on a doozy, maybe we should take a break there and reflect.... Orrrr....

...see ya Monday for Round 3!

So here we are the final tie of the Round and what a doozy it is. In preparation for Round 3 we will have to get used to losing thrills we love and this ties exemplifies this. Two very different thrills, arguably at opposite ends of the thrill-spectrum both great BUT ONE MUST DIE... or at least get knocked out. Get used to this, Round 3 is going to be this brutal a LOT more often.

Stainless Steel Rat - more info

Vs

Shakara - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 8th May and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

Difficult one but Shakara was one of the most awesome thrills of all time, great design from the master Flint and great sci-fi from Robbie
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

The Stainless Steel Rat remains the greatest caper story ever in 2000AD.

Carlos' art was just perfect for it. A shame we didn't get more.

abelardsnazz

Ooh this is a toughie. Love the SSR adaptations, they work perfectly. But Morrison and Flint just went for it, and that works perfectly too. I might have a different answer tomorrow, but as there are going to be loads more difficult ones it's no good sitting on the fence.

Shakara.

JayzusB.Christ

It could be nostalgia, but The Stainless Steel Rat.  Shakira had a couple of great Latino-pop hits but some of her stuff was mediocre at best.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Barrington Boots

Pains to vote against that Carlos art, but Shakara is the stronger thrill for me.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

credo

rogue69

sheridan

IndigoPrime

Sorry. Had to be done.

I never really clicked with Stainless Steel Rat. I tried. I read it a few times, but... I just didn't care. The art was pretty good, but that's about it for me.

Shakara was something else entirely. In some ways, it feels like a riff on Nemesis with an enigmatic 'hero' with a bonkers design. But it also manages to build into an increasingly interesting and curious strip that evolves far beyond its initial one-note nature. Flint's artwork is wonderful, and the use of colour is spectacular. I was very glad this was in the UC, and it totally held up on a re-read.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Huey2

Tjm86

Ooh!  A nasty little round here.  Henry Flint vs Carlos Ezquerra?  I mean, Angelina .... as depicted by el maestro himself?  Then again, Flint in full throttle "alien menagerie mode?"  An artist a close second to Kevin O'Neill when it comes to "loving the alien"?

Still by far and away SSR has to be one of the best adaptations around. 

Gah!  What way to go?

Guess it has to be the old nostalgia vote in the end ...

StaNilus Steel Rat [sic]

Southstreeter

Shakara. A mind blowing classic. I loved how it took so long to reveal its secrets. Robot dinosaurs? A planet turned into a space ship? The last human absentmindedly murdered on page 3? Yes please! I may be misremembering this, but I'm sure there was an all time classic run of Shakara, Kingdom, Dante, Stront and Dredd at one point. Absolute perfection.

SSR pretty good, mind. Sorry it's going out.