Main Menu

Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ (High Chance of SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 31 May, 2022, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Ah, but point five what past lightspeed? 0.5% of lightspeed is ~931.4 mi/s, making the Falcon's top speed ~187213.4 mi/s, meaning it would take the ship ~4.231 years to travel from Earth to Proxima Centuri, our closest star beyond the Sun (disregarding relativistic effects). 0.5% of infinity, however, is still infinity, meaning that the Falcon could make the same journey in 0 seconds. Using the JMS interpretation, however, 0.5% of plot means that the uncertainty principle comes into play, making the journey time from here to Proxima slightly too fast, just right, or slightly too slow depending on the nature of the story.

I'll get me waistcoat...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 June, 2022, 02:49:00 PM
the Kessel Run can only be navigated by very circuitous routes, a route plotted in smaller numbers of parsecs is more risky, but quicker because you traverse less distance.

Surely that has more to do navigation and piloting skills, regardless of your ship. Solo was asked if his ship was fast. If someone asked me if my car was fast, I wouldn't reply "She did 12 miles on the M25" because that would be a silly non-sequitor.

I'll stick with my headocanon that he's a chancer who was pulling shite out of his hoop.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mister Pops on 11 June, 2022, 03:15:40 PM

I'll stick with my headocanon that he's a chancer who was pulling shite out of his hoop.

Best explanation so far!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Ah, but hyperspace (the alternate dimension) is entered by going at or past light speed, just not at the ludicrous speeds you'd need to cross the galaxy in a few days.
wookiepedia, hyperspace

sheridan

Tiplodocus

I like some things in this; Ewen McGregor, it being about Leia, it not being Tattooine and Obi Wan having to refind his mojo.

But i find it stupid that he lost his mojo in the first place however. Did I miss something? Has hiding from the inquisitors actively made him rusty?

Anyway, it's all still oddly a bit flat with things not quite joining up for me. "Don't get out of the tank... Your burns aren't healed" and the injuries are then ignored. Meet Wade, goodbye Wade. The dialogue is perfunctory at best (the Leia/Third Sister scene should have crackled).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 June, 2022, 11:21:44 PM
But i find it stupid that he lost his mojo in the first place however. Did I miss something? Has hiding from the inquisitors actively made him rusty?

Many skills atrophy surprisingly quickly with disuse, and it would seem that Obi-Wan has been quite actively avoiding using his. By the time of ANH, there's no gravity-defying shenanigans or moving objects around — a couple of "Jedi mind tricks" and that's pretty much your lot, so I don't have any particular problem with the level of power he's demonstrating here.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 June, 2022, 11:14:09 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 June, 2022, 11:21:44 PM

Many skills atrophy surprisingly quickly with disuse, and it would seem that Obi-Wan has been quite actively avoiding using his. By the time of ANH, there's no gravity-defying shenanigans or moving objects around — a couple of "Jedi mind tricks" and that's pretty much your lot, so I don't have any particular problem with the level of power he's demonstrating here.

SPOILERS FOR THE REBELS ANIMATED SERIES

in the (great) Twin Suns episode, the Guinness Kenobi faces off against Darth Maul for the last time.....and gets in one lethal lightsabre blow before Maul can even react.  The old geezer is definitely a Jedi Master at the top of his game.

That episode was written by Dave Fiiloni, whose fingerprints are all over the Kenobi show, and Feloni's a huuuuge continuity guy, so you've got to assume the two things are still going to join up.

sheridan

At the stage this show began, Kenobi has cut themselves off from the Force, to avoid detection...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 14 June, 2022, 11:56:14 AM
in the (great) Twin Suns episode, the Guinness Kenobi faces off against Darth Maul for the last time.....and gets in one lethal lightsabre blow before Maul can even react.  The old geezer is definitely a Jedi Master at the top of his game.

You're not wrong. As much as I enjoyed it, I sometimes struggle to keep the animated stuff straight in the timeline...

Please amend my response to "Fucked if I know", then...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Episode Five - all previous niggles aside, I enjoyed the Hell out of this episode.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Still all a bit flat in the action department, full of daft "for the plot" plotting,  and studio bound and cheap looking but yeah, that was more fun.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

++SPOILERS++

I did enjoy that episode but...

- Why wait until the ceiling door is opened before boarding the transport?
- It took approximately one second for 200 people to get on board.
- There was one ship shown at all times - where did the decoy ship come from?
- Who was flying the decoy?
- Why didn't Vader stop the real one as he had just stopped the decoy?
- Why didn't Vader see the real one on the ground behind the decoy?
- What's the point of all the Stormtroopers if Vader can just go in alone whenever he wants?
- Why did Third Sister think she could kill him without a distraction *in that moment*?
- How did Obi-Wan escape captivity - it's not clear.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

+++ SPOILERS+++

Following on from Funt as I have those same questions running through my head plus these.

- how do you survive a lightsaber wound that travels through your abdomen???
- why leave a possible "threat" alive as Vader was left and he is now stronger than before driven by revenge?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Mardroid

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 June, 2022, 08:50:20 PM
++SPOILERS++

I did enjoy that episode but...

- Why wait until the ceiling door is opened before boarding the transport?
- It took approximately one second for 200 people to get on board.

Good points. I'd say we don't know that the, more vulnerable didn't board the ship early, and the rest had a lot of stuff to do in the meantime, including fighting off imperials to give [spoiler]Leia time to do her bit.[/spoiler]
- There was one ship shown at all times - where did the decoy ship come from?
It was hidden behind the other one.

- Who was flying the decoy?
I wondered that too, but I'd imagine there were a few off-screen characters capable. Or they used remote control.

- Why didn't Vader stop the real one as he had just stopped the decoy?

Using the Force takes focus. He'd just used it to pull a craft out of the sky and rip it apart (incidentally, wasnt that a cool scene?) and the hidden second craft surprised him. It got away before he could bring his will to hear.

- Why didn't Vader see the real one on the ground behind the decoy?

X-Ray vision isn't part of a sith lord's power-set.The craft was hidden behind the other, and it was a smaller vessel (i think).  His name is 'Darth Vader' not 'Johnny Alpha', or 'Kal-el'. (And they'd have to think there was a need to turn it on.)

What's the point of all the Stormtroopers if Vader can just go in alone whenever he wants?

They have other functions when he isn't around, but I think it's mostly a matter of appearance from Vader's POV in this circumstance. And some of them were busy being slaughtered by Obi-Wan at that point,😉 so I guess they had a.... yeah, I guess they proved kind of useless

- Why did Third Sister think she could kill him without a distraction *in that moment*?

I think she knew she was taking a chance that might not pay off, but it probably seemed a good opportunity when he appeared so distracted. And her recent exchange with Obi-wan likely spurred her on.

Quote- How did Obi-Wan escape captivity - it's not clear.
I agree they should have shown more there. I guess even an unpracticed Jedi (who has improved by this episode, to be fair) is a match for stormtroopers, but there did seem rather a lot of them.