Main Menu

Which Apex Editions would you like to see?

Started by IndigoPrime, 25 September, 2023, 12:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 October, 2023, 09:43:00 PMPersonally I would give...either of my offspring...
Am I being slightly extreme?
You have two kids?
Well there's a reason for the phrase, "an heir and a spare".

An Apex edition might be large but unlike, say, a child, it goes in a cupboard without complaint. Also, ask one of the younger generation to look decorative on a coffee table all day and see where it gets you.
Your children should learn to make sacrifices for what is undoubtedly the greater good.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Magnetica

I've got all the Apex editions published so far, and store them upright in the original boxes between my bedside cabinet and the wall.

I have the second McMahon volume on pre-order and a bit like PJ, forgot that and in a panic almost ordered a second one just before pre-orders closed.

I also have the IDW Dredd art book, but really it's not a patch on Apex editions. It has disappointingly shocking reproduction, especially on the notoriously badly reproduced Father Earth episode with some droids sitting around in the power plant discussing the Mega City mayoral election.

As for other Apex editions I'd like to see:

Glenn Fabry Slaine, especially The King
Kev O'Neill Nemesis (I understand this is in the works)
Bryan Talbot Nemesis, especially the bits at the end of the world

Plus I guess:
Ron Smith Dredd
Carlos Dredd, Stront and Stainless Steel Rat
Colin McNeill America and Mechanismo
Henry Flint Day of Chaos

I am not though planning on getting the Steve Dillon one; not entirely sure why but I just  don't like his art as much as I probably should.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 October, 2023, 09:43:00 PMPersonally I would give any one of my appendages together with either of my offspring and those of my siblings for an Apex edition of the Apocalypse War including Block Mania.  In fact I would quite cheerfully offer up each and every one of my key organs for this.  Am I being slightly extreme or is this "one more for the madness?"
I would absolutely go for this. I mean why not have yet another version? I've already got the original Titan GN's, the IDW coloured hardback and the complete case files, as well as "accidentally" buying the "Essential" version just to see if it was any different. But having the whole thing in one massive Apex sized edition would blow my mind. Even if half of the pages could only be reproduced as printed, instead of art scans, who wouldn't want to see the Apocalypse War in full size?

pauljholden

Quote from: Lorenzo on 21 October, 2023, 09:48:03 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 October, 2023, 09:43:00 PMPersonally I would give any one of my appendages together with either of my offspring and those of my siblings for an Apex edition of the Apocalypse War including Block Mania.  In fact I would quite cheerfully offer up each and every one of my key organs for this.  Am I being slightly extreme or is this "one more for the madness?"
I would absolutely go for this. I mean why not have yet another version? I've already got the original Titan GN's, the IDW coloured hardback and the complete case files, as well as "accidentally" buying the "Essential" version just to see if it was any different. But having the whole thing in one massive Apex sized edition would blow my mind. Even if half of the pages could only be reproduced as printed, instead of art scans, who wouldn't want to see the Apocalypse War in full size?

Can you imagine how much that book would weigh??? The complete thing? Blimey!

Lorenzo

Quote from: pauljholden on 21 October, 2023, 10:05:12 AMCan you imagine how much that book would weigh??? The complete thing? Blimey!
I'm prepared to put in a few extra hours in the gym just to get that on my lap!

JohnW

Quote from: Lorenzo on 21 October, 2023, 10:25:33 AMI'm prepared to put in a few extra hours in the gym just to get that on my lap!
... said the bishop to the actress.                     
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Tjm86

Quote from: Le Fink on 20 October, 2023, 10:19:17 PMSure, I would be interested, but how much of the original art is available for scanning? There wasn't a lot of McMahon's Block Mania in his Dredd Apex, sadly.

I know.  Way too much of the Ezquerra stuff has been snapped up by the sort of collectors that would be unwilling to participate in such a project.  Bolland's stuff for Block Mania doesn't seem to have seen light of day in a while, nor the Smith episodes.

Still, it would be one volume I would order in a heartbeat.

Le Fink

I would be very tempted by an Ian Gibson Apex Edition. There's something about his line work that really appeals. He's still killing it with his recent Lifeboat release. He's done plenty of superior art for the prog, both black and white and colour. Fully painted Dredds which are very nice to look at. There's excellent B&W work in Halo Jones and Robo Hunter.  Does anything else spring to mind? Probably quite a few covers.

nxylas

AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JohnW

Quote from: nxylas on 22 October, 2023, 03:40:23 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on 21 October, 2023, 10:03:22 PMDoes anything else spring to mind?
I Was A Teenage Tax Accountant?

(ducks)
The Amazing Maze Dumoir?

He said that, not me!
(points at nxylas and runs away)

nxylas

Looking at Barney, his first credit on there (in alphabetical order) is a 5-part Ace Trucking story. Weird, I have no memory of anyone other than Belardinelli ever drawing Ace Trucking, apart from recent revivals.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Le Fink

Quote from: pauljholden on 17 October, 2023, 06:53:25 AMNot to make anyone jealous, but I find the best way to read these things is to take one out of the cupboard, put it on a large table and pour over it pge by page with John McCrea.

How do you read yours?

I like to leaf through mine with my cat who I've temporarily renamed Henry Flint. As you can see, he gets terribly excited about the whole thing.

JohnW

Quote from: nxylas on 22 October, 2023, 04:14:02 PMLooking at Barney, his first credit on there (in alphabetical order) is a 5-part Ace Trucking story. Weird, I have no memory of anyone other than Belardinelli ever drawing Ace Trucking, apart from recent revivals.
I remember that one. 'Hell's Pocket' was its name – if it had a name – and it ran at the same time as Block Mania (from which all things Twothy are dated in my personal calendar). It was a good enough story, but the art only served to prove how much Belardinelli was the real star of Ace Trucking.
I never thought too highly of Gibson's work until Halo Jones 3, and evidently he sometimes didn't think much of it himself. The following is his introduction to the 1984 Titan reprint of Day of the Droids.

Magnetica

Quote from: nxylas on 22 October, 2023, 04:14:02 PMLooking at Barney, his first credit on there (in alphabetical order) is a 5-part Ace Trucking story. Weird, I have no memory of anyone other than Belardinelli ever drawing Ace Trucking, apart from recent revivals.

It wasn't reprinted in the Ultimate Collection, but it is in the Rebellion Ace Trucking Vol 1 TPH.

I agree with what JohnW said about it. It was a similar thing to when Gibson did a couple of episodes of Strontium Dog in Starlord instead of Carlos.