Main Menu

Do some artists get worse, or am I an old reactionary?

Started by Dudley, 25 March, 2004, 08:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Looking at Mike McMahon's work on that website. I notice that Judge Dredd. The colourised art has taken a turn for the better.

Though the other stuff, the in game art ( I'm not sure what that is all about?)
 doesn't look quite as good. Some of looks like it's meant for Warhammer 40,000. Which I know is better than this stuff. Looking at this other stuff makes me pine for his much older work.

Steve Green

I would have thought that Mick's designs for the game stuff would be designed with the limitations of the game engine, such as polygon count, camera view etc.

If it's all viewed from a far camera, then it has to be quite bold and distinct to make it easy to recognise different characters, if they were highly detailed they would just be mush.

So I'd say he's trying to approximate what it would look like in game as much as possible.

- Steve

Steven Sterlacchini

This image sends shivers down my spine. The only 2000AD cover I have on my studio wall. Iconic and much copied.

As I have said before, I really like the stuff on the folio site, does anyone know which issues of Sonic the Hedgehog Mike drew? I wouldn't mind getting hold of some copies.

P.S. how do I put a little icon on my posts, the instructions don't seem very clear. I'm using a Mac, could that be the problem?

Link: http://mickmcmahon.onlinefolio.biz/index.asp" target="_blank">Mike McMahon folio site

http://www.joedredd.com/2000AD148.jpg">

Noisybast

"P.S. how do I put a little icon on my posts, the instructions don't seem very clear. I'm using a Mac, could that be the problem?"

How do I get an icon on the message board?

1. Choose your icon
* Icons are 32x32 pixel gifs.
* There are many examples on the website already, just check the properties of the image you want to find its name.
* If you can't find a suitable icon, you can create one and send the image to wake(at)2000adonline.com
* Animated gifs are permissable, but should be no larger than about 5k
* If you can't create one, send a description of the type of icon you would like to the same email address.
* Icons will usually be uploaded to the site the same day, but if it isn't please be
patient.
2. Follow the link to the database chat room (below)
3. Type "/icon xxx" where xxx.gif is the filename for your icon.
4. Find a message on the message board you have previously posted to check. Icons are backdated, so you don't need to write a new message to test them.
5. Enjoy your new found expression!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Steven Sterlacchini

Cheers, now I'll have to sort myself out something more unique.

Goosegash

I'd say David Roach is an example of an artist who's style has changed for the worse. Some of his early black-and-white work is stunning, but it feels like his recent stuff has been spoilt by digital colouring - I think it makes everything he draws look really plain and workman-like. Just compare his work on the Anderson strip "Engram" with his most recent efforts on Synammon - it's no contest, really.

razorednight

And what about Steve Yeowell?  Compare his work on Zenith to what he's doing now on Detonator X.  Nowadays he draws everyone with their eyes shut.  And a lot of his characters have the same face...

ThryllSeekyr

I thought the artwork on the cover was the best part.

I haven't really got into reading the story.

Yet!

You know that with comics one third of the sotruy is the quality of the artwork. The rest is the art direction and the dialoge/narration.

http://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?Comic=2000ad&choice=1534">

ThryllSeekyr

I just try that again!http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/1534.jpg">

Ignatzmonster

Now I'm no McMoonie, but McMahon does no wrong except for not drawing comics. Smith should commission a longer Dredd story from him or a new series that he is the only artist on.

Langely and Critchlow are better now than before.

Most of the artists mentioned I think are just as good just with alterations. Ezquerra needs to go back to pencil and ink. Gibson, I prefer in black and white.

I always liked Dillon, but after seeing the Case Files I have to admitt he has lost some of his touch.

Ignatzmonster

PJ Holden is improving year by year. He's arriving at that point where you just have to see one panel to know who the artist is.