Main Menu

Movie Dredd, which artist?

Started by Steve Green, 09 May, 2004, 06:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Delurking here...

If Dredd made it to film again, which artist's interpretation of Dredd would you think is the best template for a live action version?

Is there anything you would change to make it work better on screen, (codpiece aside)?

Cheers

Steve

Max Kon

Welcome to the board mcwild.

i'm not sure what i would have in a movie.

longmanshort

McMahon would be great, thought decidedly impractical ... would probably go for Steve Dillon or John Burns meself ...

As for changes ... well, everything?
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

IndigoPrime

McCarthy/Riot combo from around 1988.

ESCUBRIA

Get rid of any kind of shiny plastic gold armour, shoulder pads etc... and go for more of a worn leather type, fabric material look to the pads. Silver badge, belt buckle and helmet insignia would look better instead of gold.

Without doubt, Esquerra's style could be adapted to work on screen.

Steve Green

Thanks for the welcome :)

I do like the McCarthy Dredd, I think the trickiest parts are the shoulder pads - It would be interesting to see how they would look if it were more articulated, maybe rigid parts attached to a more flexible base, so there is more give than say the block of gold bars on the movie Dredd.

I think the biggest mistake in the movie Dredd was changing things that made it even more ridiculous looking in live action (codpiece, platforms).

- Steve

Thread Zero

McMahon would be great, thought decidedly impractical ...

It's funny you should say that ? I heard that the original movie makers tried to make some McMahon style boots, but they were so wide that they wouldn't turn properly and the first time Stallone tried them on he couldn't turn and walked straight into a wall where he left his radio microphone on when he was having oral sex with an extra and then Pele broke all his fingers and he let a goal in.

That is a True Movie Story!

Buddy

Silver badge, belt buckle and helmet insignia would look better instead of gold.

Don't think I've ever seen a Judge with a silver badge etc... are we reading athe same strip?

Why would you change that?

ESCUBRIA

If you look at Mc Mahon's early colour strips Dredd has a SILVER badge, not a gold one, and his pads aren't gold either.

I think gold (especially plastic) is too gaudy on screen, silver photographs better.

Floyd-the-k

welcome back. Unlurk anytime!

I`d probably go for Ezquerra, although there have been so many brilliant artists, it`s a tough question.
 I`d want the uniforms and the city to look more lived in.

Dudley

John Burns or Arthur Ranson - basically, the more phoo-real the art, the better, surely?

IndigoPrime

Not really, because you can adapt the more extreme elements of a more stylist artist. The reason I went for McCarthy/Riot, is because the way Dredd's world was presented always felt like some nightmarish future vision in neon - exactly what I always thought MC-1 was. Ranson's MC-1 is like a built-up Reading.

Dudley

Well, with all the hab-blocks, the radiation storms, the general griminess, the mass unemployment, the huge ringrods, the festering sewers... I'd always pictured it more as a future Wolverhampton.

Devons Daddy

hi mcwild
MR carlos E
for me would be the best artist for form.

what to change.i think generally the first movie worked in terms of uniform on many levels.
but i always felt mega city one should have been more blade runner in terms of despair and darkness, tower blocks and mayhem,

with pockets of seeming normality created in a false way. citi block parcs and so on.
littel natural light, lots of neon and glow from advertising boards.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Krustabi

Ezquerra. Welcome to the Jungle.Bonjour...