Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

Exactly, some of the ones you are quoting, even with my basic maths, I can work out that, if growth for the year is 2 percent and the last two quarters of the year have growth of 1.2 percent, the growth in the six months after the referendum must be more than the six months before.

CalHab

Quote from: Old Tankie on 13 February, 2017, 12:48:30 PM
Economy growing faster after the referendum than before.

Growth in Q4=Q3=Q2. i.e. there was no increase in growth following the referendum.

In any case, ONS statistics are only useful in the long term.

Old Tankie

What about Q1? I'm comparing the six months after the referendum with the six months before.

CalHab

Quote from: Old Tankie on 15 February, 2017, 02:19:40 PM
What about Q1? I'm comparing the six months after the referendum with the six months before.

Why?

If you're really interested, you could look at the longer-term trend:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/timeseries/ihyq/pgdp

I don't see an uptick. I'd be happy if there was, but it's not there at the moment.

Old Tankie

Why would you compare two quarters with one? The economy has grown faster in the six months after the referendum than the six months before.

CalHab

Quote from: Old Tankie on 15 February, 2017, 02:42:57 PM
Why would you compare two quarters with one? The economy has grown faster in the six months after the referendum than the six months before.

Have you looked at the chart? What does the line look like?

Old Tankie

You are just on a wind up now :D I'm off to gaze at the art in The Wild Storm comic.

Steven Denton

Quote from: Old Tankie on 15 February, 2017, 02:19:40 PM

It's more helpful to make an apples to apples comparison (q4 this year to q4 last year) and more helpful still to view it as a trend (Q4 for the last 10 years) and then to view that trend in relation to the socio economic events form the time.

The Leave vote has not had the effect often cited in the perditions from the run up to the referendum but that may well be because the predictions were based on David Cameron instantly triggering article 50, which he didn't.

Theblazeuk

I refer to my previous, previous post.

Modern Panther

I'm just glad we have a new positive report, which means we can disregard all the previous negative ones.  It was well worth getting rid of those rights we had.

Hawkmumbler

The Church of England is once again trying to claim monopoly on how 'love' must be perceived, at the expense of myself and other queer folk. Bunch of out of touch old twats.

Old Tankie

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Oh Hawky, my sweet summer child, you should count yourself lucky that you don't live in a region where the DUP carry any political weight.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Maybe not myself, but empathy makes me feel utterly low for my gay brothers and sisters.

Rately

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 February, 2017, 12:42:07 AM
Oh Hawky, my sweet summer child, you should count yourself lucky that you don't live in a region where the DUP carry any political weight.

Hopefully the upcoming election will prove a humbling experience for the DUP. Hopefully they at least get a bloodied nose, and learn the cost of continued arrogance.