Main Menu

Rogue Trooper News…!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 29 January, 2024, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Well this is going to set the board alight!

Did I miss something or is this the first time we've been told this is going to be animated?

Exciting that this one has sprung back to life.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Absolutely brilliant
Going animated is probably a wise decision and a "big" budget movie was probably always out with the financial reach of rebellion.

The interesting part will be what platform it's going to be released on first?

I hope I'm not reading too much into it but final few words from Jason are interesting
"...combines beautiful storytelling from our 2000AD Comic-book universe... We cannot wait for every to see these incredible stories brought to life onscreen."

🤞🏻🤞🏻 More projects to come (if Rogue is a success obviously)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

IndigoPrime

First, I think this could be a really smart way to bring a 2000 AD property to life. Secondly – and I think this is important for the board – it's an important reminder that most people have NO IDEA what is happening with shows and movies that are in production. There had been lots of assumptions that Rogue Trooper the movie was dead. Now, we hear principal photography has wrapped.

nxylas

I agree that going animated is a smart move. A year or two ago, I might have worried that it would hurt the film's chances at the box office, due to the fact that animated films are sometimes seen as lower status than live-action ones, but the Spider-verse movies have been huge hits. I believe the most recent one was one of the top 5 movies of last year at the box office.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Tjm86

I think IP makes an important point about media development.  There's a hell of a lot that doesn't get reported which makes it hard to judge what is going on.  Too much of what gets out is what the big companies can sell.

As for the development itself, aye, animated makes a hell of a lot more sense with the insanity of Nu-Earth.  Not sure how to feel about the fact that they've gone with Friday over Rogue but that's more about the dogs-breakfast it descended into.  War Machine was definitely a very interesting take on the concept. Hopefully that's the focus and then they'll cherry pick some of the best ideas from GFD's run as some of those would be amazing on the big (hell, even the little) screen.

Just have to wait and see ...

Colin YNWA

Rebellion have sent out an email now - well its landed in my inbox so this is all very exciting.

IndigoPrime

I can't imagine they wouldn't look at all the versions and take the best bits from each. Originally RT was quite hokey in many ways. Not sure that would fly in the movies. But the basic premise is strong. So take that, and merge it with some of the updated versions and some more modern sensibilities and you could end up with something interesting. Here's hoping.

(Duncan Jones also seems like someone who can work with limited means. Moon was fantastic.)

Richard

It doesn't say Friday, it just says 19. Maybe that's a reference to the Friday stories, but that doesn't mean it's going to resemble them in any way beyond that detail.

The image in the article looks closer to Rogue than Friday. Maybe wait for the trailer before worrying?

sheridan

Well, having the rebellious clone called Rogue, the sharpshot called Gunnar, the quartermaster called Bagman and the one who ends up in the helmet called Helm might be a stretch on the big screen, so I'm not that unhappy if they call the lead character clone 19 instead.

Should point out it won't even be the first animated film that Jones has directed - World of Warcraft...

sheridan

Now, what's the name of that giant tank in the teaser image?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 29 January, 2024, 04:35:01 PMNow, what's the name of that giant tank in the teaser image?

Hank.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

karlos

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

This is a very interesting announcement. The movie seems to be totally unlike anything that's ever been made before. I can see why people might mention the Spider-Verse films, but they are family-orientated and cost an enormous amount of money to produce. Attempting to do a computer animated feature, aimed at adults, using video game tech, on a modest budget... it could be an act of era-defining brilliance, as long as the quality is there.

Oh, and I hope the allusion to Friday is a false alarm. Certainly the rest of the synopsis seems to be the classic Rogue arc. Duncan Jones would have to have very idiosyncratic tastes to want to use the rebooted version of the character. Even if he did, surely Rebellion wouldn't be crazy enough to go along with it....