Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 February, 2024, 02:29:27 PMMichael Jayston is familiar to those who followed Only Fools And Horses but forever Peter Guillam in the BBC's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
https://www.itv.com/news/2024-02-05/only-fools-and-horses-actor-michael-jayston-dies-aged-88

And that of the Valeyard in Doctor Who
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Former Irish PM John Bruton dies after long illness

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd18yqnke9no
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sebastián Piñera: Former president of Chile dies in helicopter crash
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-68223520
Texts from Last Night

JayzusB.Christ

I'm going to be honest here - I'm thinking of avoiding this thread in future. Not that I want to avoid the subject of death, but because I think the thread has strayed a bit from I thought it was set up for, i.e. to discuss the passing of people whose lives meant something to whoever is posting, for better or for worse, and whose death has had some kind of impact on them

Some sections of this thread seem, at least to me, like a list of all the famous deaths of the day after a trawl through the headlines and feel at best unnecessary - I can look at the headlines myself if I need to - and at worst uncomfortably morbid. This is purely subjective of course, and it's possible I may be misreading some posts. 

I suppose, again on a purely personal basis, I'm at an age when a lot of people, famous or otherwise, that i've grown up with are dying far more regularly than I'd like, so maybe I'm being too sensitive and too harsh. It's just something that's been on my mind for a while as I've visited this thread.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

I missed this at the time, but Bryan Charles Ansell, former MD of Games Workshop, founder of Citadel Miniatures and Wargames Foundry.  Being creator/co-creator of Warhammer, that takes the spotlight, but I'm pretty sure Bryan had something to do with the first Judge Dredd roleplaying game (it coming out at the same time Bryan was head of Games Workshop) and there was a pretty extensive though unfocused range of 2000AD minis from Wargames Foundry.

rogue69

nxylas

Quote from: rogue69 on 13 February, 2024, 05:41:38 PMRadio 2 DJ Steve Wright aged 69

https://inews.co.uk/news/steve-wright-radio-2-death-2904413
Please tell me the time of death was listed as "in the afternoon". It's what he would have wanted.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

karlos

Yeah, have to agree with Jayzus - this thread just seems to be a celeb death list.

I know it's meant entirely respecftully, but I do wonder what the point of it is, really?

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 February, 2024, 06:21:35 PMI'm going to be honest here - I'm thinking of avoiding this thread in future. Not that I want to avoid the subject of death, but because I think the thread has strayed a bit from I thought it was set up for, i.e. to discuss the passing of people whose lives meant something to whoever is posting, for better or for worse, and whose death has had some kind of impact on them

Some sections of this thread seem, at least to me, like a list of all the famous deaths of the day after a trawl through the headlines and feel at best unnecessary - I can look at the headlines myself if I need to - and at worst uncomfortably morbid. This is purely subjective of course, and it's possible I may be misreading some posts. 

I suppose, again on a purely personal basis, I'm at an age when a lot of people, famous or otherwise, that i've grown up with are dying far more regularly than I'd like, so maybe I'm being too sensitive and too harsh. It's just something that's been on my mind for a while as I've visited this thread.

Quote from: karlos on 14 February, 2024, 10:07:44 AMYeah, have to agree with Jayzus - this thread just seems to be a celeb death list.

I know it's meant entirely respecftully, but I do wonder what the point of it is, really?

I don't know about you two, but I realised that I post in here far too often and have now decided to no longer post in this topic.

I personally don't see the point of this topic, should it be used for personal deaths in the family? Noteworthy celebrity deaths? Or a combination of the two...?
Texts from Last Night

karlos

It was, I think, as Jayzus said, a place to mention a passing and then that would prompt a discussion on them, their work, etc.

But it seems to no longer function as anything beyond an endless list of who's just left us.

No-one seems to be using it to talk about the person, just the announcement.

I won't be posting in this thread anymore, either.

The Legendary Shark

I don't dislike it. This thread is a bit like Marcus Aurelius's slave, whispering in our ears to remind us that we're all only human, and mortal. It reminds me that all life, even my own, is finite and to be relished as much as possible by kings and paupers alike.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't mean to suggest that nobody should ever post here any more - I have absolutely no problem with anyone paying their respects here to a person who had a genuine impact of one kind or another on their lives, and I'm happy to read these tributary posts.

I just don't think it was ever meant to be an exhaustive list of today's deaths, which I think is a pointless and somewhat morbid use of the forum.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Batman's Superior Cousin

The trouble is, that hardily anyone ever seems to post in some of the threads anymore.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 February, 2024, 02:24:55 PMI didn't mean to suggest that nobody should ever post here any more - I have absolutely no problem with anyone paying their respects here to a person who had a genuine impact of one kind or another on their lives, and I'm happy to read these tributary posts.

I just don't think it was ever meant to be an exhaustive list of today's deaths, which I think is a pointless and somewhat morbid use of the forum.

On other forums that I (in)frequently visit, this seems to be the exact point of similar celebrity / famous individuals condolences thread(s).
Texts from Last Night

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 14 February, 2024, 03:25:02 PMThe trouble is, that hardily anyone ever seems to post in some of the threads anymore.

On that particular point I'm with you - yeah, it's a pisser. This place used to be thriving but it's a ghost town nowadays compared to its heyday.

I still love the forum though, more than anywhere else on the internet.  Way off topic, sorry, just thought I'd respond to that specific point.

rogue69

Artist/writer Paul Neary aged 74, best known for his work for 2000AD on Tharg's Future Shocks and Abelard Snazz with Alan Moore, Doctor Who weekly/magazine, Captain America, Excalibur & Nick Fury Vs S.H.E.I.L.D for Marvel Comics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Neary