General Chat > Books & Comics

Whats everyone reading?

<< < (1402/1403) > >>

The Mind of Wolfie Smith:
hey barrington, thanks for the kind words. i'm only about a quarter way through and i've slowed right down, sighing at the opening ... this will be a lifetime thing.
i guess i still love the conceit and the potential. but some very fine writers (and some very average writers) have clearly agreed a template from which they must not veer. i dunno ... there are many great books and movies that only come alive at the end and so i perhaps foolishly still have hope. but so far each book could probably be summarised in a short paragraph - and many of those summaries would be near identical ...

Barrington Boots:

--- Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 28 November, 2021, 11:09:10 PM ---...some very fine writers (and some very average writers) have clearly agreed a template from which they must not veer....

--- End quote ---

This I think is the crux of it - these guys are writing to a template, and it means very few of the books rise above a sort of bland mush of bolters and serious men banging on about duty.
I've read some of the Primarch books and they're kinda the same too. I'm not sure what the best Black Library book I've read is... Drachenfels is a contender for sure, but where 40k is concerned I can't think of many that stand out.

rs_jr:
is the Asterix hachette english collection still happening ?

Colin YNWA:

--- Quote from: rs_jr on 06 December, 2021, 01:46:30 AM ---is the Asterix hachette english collection still happening ?

--- End quote ---

Oh I gave up hope on that some time ago. Haven't heard anything new for ... years... it was first floated before the pandemic wasn't it?

Rara Avis:
Purity by Jonathan Franzen. I may have mentioned it before but I am still plugging away at this, really starting to enjoy it though .. it's all coming together (rubs hands gleefully).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version