Main Menu

SPACEWARP - New Venture from Pat Mills

Started by Bolt-01, 05 April, 2019, 08:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

What's he saying about 2000 AD now? or do you just mean in that quote, which infers publishers stopped listening to readers a long time ago?

I, Cosh

Amazon/Kindle specifically seems a weird choice considering Millsverse stuff is already on Comixology.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Doesn't Kindle stuff go across into the Comixology app at least? It'll be interesting to see if a non-DRM form of the comic exists at any point. (I only rarely buy anything of value I can't read in an app I can use without getting sick. Kindle is not one of them.)

broodblik

Not always Indigo. There is some stuff only available on Kindle but not on Comixology like the Camealot 3000 collection (the single issues are availble on Comixology)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

It's a bit steep for digital too. I appreciate that Pat is trying to determine a sustainable financial model but 6.99 for a kindle locked pdf? I'd expect that for print.

broodblik

If you compare FutureQuake that is also available on Comixology for either 99c or $1.99 then the current price tag is way over top
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Yeah, but FQ isn't out to make money - we are a Small Press comic with a focus on helping new talent to gain experience and develop. Hence why so many of the artists and writers we work with go on to become professionals.

If I was to even try to work out how much an issue cost to make at minimum wage I wouldn't be able to carry on.

IndigoPrime

There are no economies of scale for what Mills is doing. On that basis, I'm not against the price per se, but I do hope DRM-locked isn't the only model being used here. If it is, that instantly eradicates my interest in it, on the basis I won't be able to safely read the comic.

TordelBack

Hmmm, I can't even get onto the website - neither Chrome nor Firefox will let me past the Terms & Conditions box. If I do eventually succeed, what are my options for buying it? I don't have an Amazon comics app, and the only Kindle in the house is my daughter's bog-standard one which reduces colour comics to a graphite sludge.

I would like to support Uncle Pat though, and I'm delighted to see Bruno and James Newell on board too - their art contributions here and in FQ were always great.

broodblik

Tordel you can get a Kindle app for both Android and iOS (Apple)

TordelBack

Cheers Broodblik, I did not know this! (so verrrry old)

Sinx

It looks great - there's some terrific art in there and I've always enjoyed Pat's writing.
However, how often is it going to come out? It's really, really hard to get people to like new stuff enough to buy it and if you somehow manage to grab their imagination unless you have more content ready to go interest can tail off very quickly. I think there should have been four issues with defined arcs for each story maybe produced bi monthly. Unless I'm missing something of course

broodblik

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I will be purchasing this just as soon as it goes to print. Not digital I'm afraid, and I really hope it's at least a bi-monthly: that way the stated intended audience (which both my sons are) won't get impatient in between, and wont forget about it. Of course this means I'm down for at least two copies. Sigh.

I would hope Pat has the frequency firmly in hand from the off. If anyone could master that, it's him. Such a shame it's not available in newsagents though. A long while ago Jim gave a guesstimate (if memory serves) quote of half a million (was it?) to launch a new weekly on the high street. Wonder what it is now...

SBT

broodblik

I will most likely will get this (digital is my only option). If this is going to work at least this must be running once a month otherwise as you stated we will forget about it