Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Red Seas vs. Canon Fodder Round 2 Heat 58

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 March, 2022, 06:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Dear Diary it's Week 8 and I'm thinking these dear diary intros have run their course. I mean they weren't that great to begin with and I'm still strung it out. This week we finish the first half of Round 2. We're still a wee bit off half way through the tourney overall (by my calculations that will happen halfway through week 11)... I'm still alone...

Well we know Canon Fodder will get one vote. How many more will it need to cut short the voyage of 2000ad's greatest pirate strip?

Red Seas - more info

Vs

Cannon Fodder - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 10th March  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Red Seas, which I appreciate all the more after reading it in the Hachette books.

abelardsnazz

Barrington Boots

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 March, 2022, 07:49:35 AM
Red Seas, which I appreciate all the more after reading it in the Hachette books.

This sums my thoughts up too.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

Blue Cactus

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 March, 2022, 07:49:35 AM

Yep, same here. Red Seas.

Magnetica

Dark Jimbo

I never warmed to Red Seas as much as I wanted to. There was too much Edginton 'cheeky chappie' dialogue, and far too many characters - I didn't mind when he added Alexander to the cast, but Alex then proceeded to do... not very much, for many, many series. And then he adds Issac Newton (bearing zero resemblance to the historical Newton, incidentally). And then the Chevalier Augustus, who also proceeds to do not very much. And then Sarita. And then...

Canon Fodder was no doubt the more flawed of these thrills - I'm still not quite sure what it was trying to do, or say, or be - but OH. MY. GOD that Weston artwork. And it just plain excited me more, even though I know it wasn't objectively as polished as RS.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Canon Fodder wins this for me. I never really got The Red Seas, and I'm not Steve Yeowell's biggest fan.

SBT

Link Prime

I quite enjoyed The Red Seas, but I think it lost it's way towards the end.
For me the series peaked, and was most memorable, sometime between the Aladdin and Hollow Land story-lines.

Canon Fodder has just enough classic 2000AD moments peppered throughout it's lushly illustrated pages (e.g. God flicking Lucifer's head off) to push it over the finish line in this particular match-up.

Plus, I want Colin to scream in despair at a potential Canon Fodder win, just to have a giant rat throw itself down his gullet, gruesomely killing him.

Southstreeter

The Red Seas had far too many interchangeable characters, and seemed to be going somewhere before it just sort of stopped. Great art though.
Canon Fodder I recall very little of, apart from some fantastically named supporting characters like Deacon Blue and Cardinal Sin.
Red Seas it is.