Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Helium vs. Pulp Sci-Fi Round 2 Heat 57

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 March, 2022, 06:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Dear Diary it's Week 8 and I'm thinking these dear diary intros have run their course. I mean they weren't that great to begin with and I'm still strung it out. This week we finish the first half of Round 2. We're still a wee bit off half way through the tourney overall (by my calculations that will happen halfway through week 11)... I'm still alone...

Two thrills that promised so much and failed to deliver. Pulp Sci-Fi launched as a one off showcase for top talent and ... quickly became not that. Helium burst onto the scene, was glorious and then... well I guess (???) the creators couldn't fit it in with other commitments and it withered on the vine. So err....

Helium - more info

Vs

Pulp Sci-Fi - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 10th March  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

Helium

I mean, much as I liked Pulp SF, in some respects it was a bit of a rebranded FS.  A couple of decent ones but none that really stand out in memory.

By contrast, Helium still does.  Granted the artwork was a definite plus.  D'israeli is always a pleasure.  The whole concept was fascinating, pulling together plenty of ideas from the halcyon days of fantasy and adventure films.  Shades of Warlords of Atlantis, Poseidon Adventure, Goliath Awaits ... fantastical 'underwater' communities, conflict and mystery.  Oh, and did I mention D'israeli rendering this in his own inimicable style?

It is a shame it never did continue and we've been left with a cliff hanger but such is life.  Let's face it, some of us are still waiting for the second half of the animated Lord of the Rings.   :-(

abelardsnazz

Helium as it's great and maybe one day we'll see the rest of it.

Blue Cactus

rogue69

Magnetica

Helium.

Got to be, I still remember it well, especially the last panel.

Can't remember a single Pulp Sci-Fi story.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

IndigoPrime

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Helium.

Reread it recently, and it's wonderful. Pulp Sci-Fi never did much for me.

SBT

Link Prime

I will go with Helium here, not a single installment of Pulp Sci-Fi was memorable enough to remember.

AlexF

Agree that rebranding Future Shocks always seemed to unleash a burst of creativity in writers and artists, but even without the need to pull off a twist ending, telling 5 page stories is HARD.
Perhaps that's why Mr Edginton likes to tell 1,000 page stories and never get around the the actual ending part...

I kid, I kid. And I also vote for Helium, which might actually be my fave Edginton creation so far.
Female-led multi-book epics just can't catch a break, eh...
(Looking at you, Vanguard and Halo Jones. Even Tao de Moto got quietly ended in an annual, in a rather unsatisfying way)

Colin YNWA

One of the Progs most missed thrills - how often have we discussed wanting it back! Well it won't be missing from Round 3 unless there is a massive turn around in this final day of the tie. I'll count up tomorrow morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well Helium might be missing from the Prog, but its clearly not missing from folks hearts and minds and gets a rare shut out. Pulp Sci-Fi's brief dalliance with being a high class Future Shock just doesn't seem to cut the mustard and

Helium

steams into Round 3.