Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Moana. Disney+ sub continue to be good value - I really enjoyed this one. A simple story imaginatively told, with surprise musical contribution from Jermaine Clement, which is never a bad thing. Hair animation is truly stunning.

paddykafka

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 September, 2020, 05:33:49 PM
Moana. Disney+ sub continue to be good value - I really enjoyed this one. A simple story imaginatively told, with surprise musical contribution from Jermaine Clement, which is never a bad thing. Hair animation is truly stunning.

Still having hair at our age is truly stunning!

TordelBack

Oh I still have hair. It's just migrated.

von Boom

Yes, but combing over your back hair is not a good look. Trust me.

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 04 September, 2020, 10:36:04 PM
Yes, but combing over your back hair is not a good look. Trust me.

Hey, why let it go waste. Just gave to train that ear-hair out and up and I'll almost have the full Trump.

Keef Monkey

Watched the second Ghost In The Shell SAC film edit thingy, The Individual Eleven. I thought in terms of the pacing and structure this season worked better than the first in this format, but was quite taken aback by just how ruthless the cuts are to get it to the required 2hrs40m this time! Entire episodes of backstory and relationships excised, but the trade-off is that it rattles along at a great pace and builds to an epic climax. Still not as great as watching the episodes, but made for a good film watching experience none the less.

Also watched Now You See Me, which was good silly inventive fun. For some reason I think I expected something more self-serious or more of a gritty heist movie but it's just an all-out daft romp and I had a blast.

pictsy

I love GitS SAC, but can't bring myself to watch the film edits.  I would probably end up feeling like I wished I just watched the series instead.

I enjoyed Now You See Me.  The sequel isn't up to scratch, suffering from sequelitas... the same but bigger.  Nevertheless, not unbearable to watch.

Apestrife

Insomnia Missed out on this one. A nice little game of rugged cop v a murderer taking place in an ever sunny Alaska. It's summer and the sun never sets. Local cop Hillary Swank is getting help from Al Pacino's LA cop (think HEAT) solving a murder.  Robin Williams is a stand out as a writer who's trying to help Pacino's character. My favorite bit of the film was probably the wear the insomnia and stress has on Pacino's cop. Straight up a really good psychological thriller.

von Boom

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. It shouldn't be possible but the makers of this film found a way to bore the arse off me with dinosaurs. I half slept through it. Dull, uninteresting, utterly charmless.

Colin YNWA

The Girl with all the Gifts

Entirely effective new take on the zombie plague - well kinda zombie. Effective in that it gives a new spin. Takes the premise of 'We're the walking dead' and spins it further to 'We're the monsters" but does much the same as many of these types of films. Questions our inhumanity to ourselves and others. Takes a small group and makes us like them to allow tension and drama to have maximum impact. Annoys the hell out of you with - wait, what why would you do that? moments.

But enjoyable and a fine cast. I stumbles across it on Amazon, if you do the same (moving on soon I believe) well worth checking out.

Edited to add: Just checked and yes its by Mike Carey ex of these pastures and comics in general. Apparently from a book of the same name.

Rately

Game Night.

Jason Bateman and Amy Adams comedy vehicle. Has some great laughs, and is very well put together, with a great cast and a scene stealing performance by Jesse Plemons. I don't know what it is, but Jason Bateman rarely makes a dud movie, and his being in the cast was the reason I gave it a chance.

Rately

Host.

Effective, very well made little Horror movie with some great performances and effective shocks. Seeing as it was made during current times, i would love to see how they put it all together, with social distancing in mind.

Very short running time! Which a lot of movies would benefit from.

[spoiler]Really wish that they could come up with more effective, original monsters than zombie-ghosts.[/spoiler]

Keef Monkey

Also really enjoyed Girl With All The Gifts and Game Night! Game Night in particular was way funnier than I expected.

Closed out my big rewatch of GiTS SAC with the Solid State Society film, have already seen it a bunch and it's great. It was always a film (rather than a heavily trimmed season) so obviously works better than the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven movies, and was good to see it again.

pictsy

The Guyver.

I liked both the animes of this and hope to read the manga one day, but never saw the live action film.  It's crap, but watchable.  Someone, at some point during this production, had passion for the source material.  Then someone else thought it was stupid and joke.  I think there is another live action film with proper Zoanoids, so I might watch that on my next movie night.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Colin YNWA
link=topic=31824.msg1038135#msg1038135
date=1599426505

The Girl with all the Gifts

Apparently from a book of the same
name.

I really enjoyed the book and felt the film made a decent job of it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]