Main Menu

New Trades!

Started by Dan Kelly, 22 January, 2007, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Had quick flick through the Stronty book noticing the prints look alot dark and little bit more difficult to read.

This is due to the pages originally being printed in Color. The Agency Files collection reprints them in gray scale.

I was expecting it to start with Johhny's prelude story of how he how he grew up aand first came into his mutant powers. First story shown 'The year -2180. The place- Caytor. Administration planet of the Dorian Nebula. With a StarLord Blue Printers Label at the top.

Is this the very beginning?

Of course. Strontium Dog started out in the comic magazine Starlord (If I remember right, it was basicly the sister mag to 2000AD at the time) the title didn't last and it was folded into 2000AD with Strontium Dog making the jump the the Prog.

And yes, SD doesn't start with an "origin story", but then neither did Dredd.

Most of the stories appear have Wulf in there as well.

All of the stories have Wulf in there. He's always been Johnny's companion.

Despite my initial confusion, I can still see this stuff is gold.

It's not really that confusing, Starlord was a sci-fi action/adventure anthology series, just like 2000AD, where Strontium Dog made it's debute. When Starlord folded, Strontium Dog made the jump to 2000AD where it continues to this day. The Agency Files reprints all the Starlord era strips and several 2000AD era strips.

Anyway, I got my copy, and my god does it rock my socks. I can see why many see the adventures of Johnny Alpha as being second only to Dredd. If only todays sci-fi comics had this much spirit and adventure bursting from their seems (outside 2000AD that is 'natch)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

:: I can see why many see the adventures of Johnny Alpha
:: as being second only to Dredd.

I imagine once newcomers start reading through Outlaw and especially Rage, they might even swap that around. Strontium Dog really was 2000 AD's other 'dependable' strip, probably the only thing that would have been able to carry the Prog if Dredd had ever been rested.

DavidXBrunt

I think at one point they COULD have rested Dredd and the comic would have prospered and continued until Dredd returned. Stronty, Slaine, Rogue Trooper in the comic? Judge Who?

Tiplodocus

Depends on exactly which incarnations of Slaine and Rogue you mean but, in principle, I'm with DXB block.

This probably contradicts whatever I said on the "Without Dredd, 2000AD is nothing" debate but I can't be bothered being consistent or going back to check.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DavidXBrunt

Well I'm specifically thinking the incarnations that match the Stronty glory days, so that in my mind is black and white Slaine and Rogue still hunting the Traitor General. I'm probably anachronistic as hell but you get the point.

Byron Virgo

I don't know - I knew a lot of people at school who pretty much read the prog for Dredd only, and I couldn't really imagine them buying it still if Dredd hadn't been in it.

Back on the topic of new trades, anyone else heard about this 'Complete Savage' book that's listed as coming out in June, presumably to compliment March's 'Invasion' collection?

ukdane

I think the Savage book is collection the new Savage stories, IIRC Amazon have Adlard listed as the artist (find my thread elsewhere on the site to check)
Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

Leatherjack and Slaine Invasions 3 (both July)are now listed on Amazon as is a re-release of RT: Future of War (June)http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/1905437315.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45803260_.jpg">
Cheers

-Daney

Dark Jimbo

It's quite funny that Amazon, Forbidden Planet and other book sites are more informative about upcoming trades than the 2k book site itself.*

*That's not a dig, Indigo, you do a grand job.
@jamesfeistdraws

opaque

Well it's easy to be ahead of the trend when you just make things up as Amazon often do.
An dit's no good saying somethings coming out when they don't sell it when it's out and give you a lead time of 3-5 weeks on day of release.

The Amstor Computer

Well, in the case of the Rebellion trades - like Leatherjack above - someone must be supplying them with some info & cover images, as they're all done using clean images & in the house style. Of course, that doesn't mean their listings aren't ever wrong... :-)

ukdane

IIRC IndigoPrime(?) mentioned that a lot of Amazon's information is based on ISBN application listings, and therefore somewhat subject to change.
Cheers

-Daney

IndigoPrime

:: That's not a dig, Indigo, you do a grand job.

I can only put online what I'm sent by Jon. Recently, though, we came to a decision to list four months' worth of books on the 'coming soon' pages, because stuff further ahead than that is somewhat speculative and subject to change. Over the next few weeks, I'll aim to get the confirmed releases for June (and perhaps also July) on the site.

ThryllSeekyr

About Johhny and Wulf.

I recall buying a few back progs acouple of years ago that contained that story arc where Johhny time travels to the Viking age and first encounters Wulf.

I had assumed that this would be near the beginning of Johhny's adventures.

Incidently, doesn't 'Portrait of a Mutant' cover
the much earlier life and times of Johhny when he was kid growing up in Milton Keynes and first coming to terms with his funny eyes. Wasn't there a story where some school bullies ripped off his prescription sunglasses.

It doesn't hurt to ask. I haven't started on reading the Case file properly. I suppose I could look it up myself..........

Incidently, how many more Strontium Dog Case file books and Nemesis Case File books are there to come?

I know sombody hinted that there were going to be thirteen in all Judge Dredd books before the present series of JD graphic novels.

Cthulouis

I notice Khronicals of Khaos is coming out soon. Any idea if this will include hellbringer?