Main Menu

UNDT Round 1 - Criminals (Heroes)

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 July, 2020, 06:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Greg M. on 29 July, 2020, 12:12:48 PM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 29 July, 2020, 11:55:51 AM
Just for science, I'm 34.
Fair enough - I've got the Gosnell / Ezquerra collection, and it's perfectly good stuff, but to me, the idea of 2000AD adapting literary material seems a bit of a historical oddity. I can't quite see Jim as a 'real' 2000AD character, even though he's clearly beloved by some fans.

I have recently been re-reading the SSR - for the first time since it was published and I think it is fantastic. For me it fits perfectly in the comedy caper slot that the less serious Strontium Dog stories and the original Robo- Hunter did. Even 40 odd years later there are moments that I clearly remember, which just shows what an impression it made on me.

Dark Jimbo

I've never read SSR, so Jim's out for a start. I think I've read three Tyranny Rex stories (the first two and the last one...?) and they were, without doubt, my least favourite John Smith material. The first two were incomprehensible and the last one deadly dull (when it wasn't incomprehensible!) Tyranny herself just made no impression, lost in the background of her own stories.

Of the two that are left, I think Lobster Random brought most to the table. He's somehow slipped through the net to become a bit of a forgotten character - perhaps because he never got that final story, and certainly because the reprints passed him over - but he deserves to stand with Sam Slade, Gene Hackman, Shakara and Zombo on all those 'group shot' covers and posters.

And Spikes Harvey Rotten, thankfully without a small essay to explain why.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 July, 2020, 09:09:37 PM
I've never read SSR, so Jim's out for a start.

In that case you are missing out. All Squaxx should read it. It's a great caper; it's quite light hearted and just good fun. Plus it has top quality Ezquerra art. The physical trade is out of print and online sellers are asking silly money for it, but it is available for a very cheap price digitally. Basically I highly recommend it.

PsychoGoatee

Hear hear.  :D I recommend the books on top of that, especially A Stainless Steel Rat Is Born.

On the topic of literary characters making it into this sort of online poll thingy. Reminds me of Castlevania's Dracula often being in video game character polls, like at GameFAQs. He is a distinct version, but naturally just being Dracula is gonna get you in the door, coolness wise.

rogue69

Lobster Random and Slippery Jim DeGriz

Colin YNWA

The 'wicked' are closing in, you can hear the sirens, you can only get two of these felons out of here, but who? Quick get your vote in to save your two favourites before the morning when voting closes or they might go down for a stretch.

Tomwe

Tyranny Rex & Spikes Harvey Rotten

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED - Keep it up this thread has been wonderfully busy.

At the top there was little doubt as to who was growing to grab the blag. As

Slippery Jim DeGriz

Steels himself for Round 2.

Runner up spot also seemed to be going one way. Both Tyranny Rex and Lobster Random showed that age old maxim that animal themed criminal 'heroes' just don't make folks favourite characters. Except mine damn you! And charging into the Alamo that will be round 2 goes

Spikes Harvey Rotten