Main Menu

Thrills Over Time

Started by Funt Solo, 09 January, 2021, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Good stuff Funt.

I saw some of Pats tweets Tordel but his earlier works are for me much better; the reason why those have been published. All Slaine/ABC Warrior series so far have been published.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

This stuff just gets better and better. Its funny how 'early' Malone is. I think of that as the opening to 'modern' Sinister Dexter, more driven by the ongoing story lines. Its a shame that this has also mirrors the drop off in frequency as the current format would be far better served if the series appeared more regularly. This is absolutely underlined by Bulletopia which I think is potentially brilliant but being killed by Tharg*.

As for a lovely complete hardcover Sinister Dexter - man I've dreamt of that for so long. Alas there seems to have been so many attempts to reprint Sinister Dexter, which whatever the errors have all died on their arses. There's some glorious alternative reality where I buy another run of Progs to chop up to get my own collections bound.

*Utter guess work who knows whats behind it, so stop being so Facebook Colin!

But it makes ME made

Yes but that doesn't make it someone you've plucked from the airs fault.

BUT me, me I I...

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 10 January, 2021, 02:12:27 PM
I saw some of Pats tweets Tordel but his earlier works are for me much better; the reason why those have been published. All Slaine/ABC Warrior series so far have been published.

That's the thing, though: what proportion of Pat's work isn't in (luxury) print? It's not like it's just Horned God and Charley's War.  have over 2 feet of bookshelf that's just Pat, and more than half of that is HB - including the most recent ABC and Sláine, not just the classics. Looking at recent series (as opposed to Finn and mid-period dinosaur stuff) it's just a chunk of Defoe (brilliant) and a lot of Greysuit (awful) missing, for now (and both had early collections that still lurk in comic shop bargain bins and online sales, so whatever my own feelings, seem to lack a market). What other 2000AD author has most of his work appear in HB almost immediately? Not Wagner, Abnett or Rennie.

Funt's graph highlights for me just how much of Sláine is "recent" (ie Rebellion-era) material, and how lavishly it's been reprinted. I suspect an ABC Warriors graph would show the same. Pertinent issues of rights and reprint fees aside fir the moment, I think Pat underestimates how valued his later work is by readers, and thus how well it's treated by the people who make their living by flogging high-end collections.

broodblik

Even if you look at example Abnett he has not that many works collected. Sin/Dex collections does not even really exists. His only work that has been completely collected is Kingdom.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Brink too. Colin's SinDex fantasy is one I share! Imagine running your fingers along 2381 pages worth of matching HB spines - with ribbons, 'natch.

Does Grant Morrison have the next highest proportion of his 2000AD work in HB?

Dark Jimbo

The most recent (last?) ABC Warriors series- Fallout - hasn't ever been reprinted.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Hey, you're right Jimbo! I hadn't noticed that, and it's actually longer than the three Return to... series, each of which got their own very slim HB volume. It has been less than 3 years, but it does seem odd.

broodblik

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 January, 2021, 05:02:03 PM

The most recent (last?) ABC Warriors series- Fallout - hasn't ever been reprinted.

Yes that is correct but you can not blame me for making the mistake since it read like many of the previous series (it is almost a re-run)

Funt Solo

Talking of ABCs...

That's (under the ABC banner) 209 episodes and 1342 pages. Counting the Nemesis crossovers (books IV, V & VI) you can add 42 episodes and 216 pages. (Counts don't include posters, teasers, covers or text stories.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2021, 05:40:09 PM
Hey, you're right Jimbo! I hadn't noticed that, and it's actually longer than the three Return to... series, each of which got their own very slim HB volume. It has been less than 3 years, but it does seem odd.

I'm painfully aware of the fact as I stopped getting the prog about a year before it ran, and when Fallout started thought 'Well, I'll just get the trade.'  ::)

Be interesting to see if it gets reprinted in the Ultimate Collection before Tharg has put a book out...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 10 January, 2021, 07:22:20 PM
Ro-Busters?

*Throws a tomato at Cosh*

Good point, though. We could include it. Plus the Starlord stuff? (I didn't include Savage, even though it ties strongly into all of this with it's Birth of Quartz. Once you get into the Millsverse, he ties you in knots.)

Narrative-wise, it's easier to drop Ro-Busters than it is to drop the Nemesis crossover (I think), but then we get the Return to Ro-Busters and Pat ties them strongly together.

---

Also wondering about how to do Durham Red, considering that her fingers are in so many pies. *Think clean thoughts*

And as for Anderson ... same pie problem.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andrew_J

These are absolutely deadly Funt. Who doesn't love a good graph.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Wow! Just, wow. This is so good. Thanks very much.

Am I the only one to think, "wait, SinDex is 25 years old?"

That means there will be readers who were born after it started. I know that is the case, and I know that it's not a shock. But somehow I didn't apprecaite it.

Man, I feel old.
Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

'Quantum Salmon Leap' - perfection.

Incredible work, Funt. Thanks for this
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"