Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Epic thread re how South Wales NHS is prepping to care for COVID-19 victims.

It's a must read - a real insight into the 'war footing' hard work that is going on.

https://twitter.com/adavies4/status/1241297992507895808?s=21

von Boom

Called my mum last night to see how things were going there. Everyone seems okay for the moment, but she did tell me that my uncle is in desperate need of quadruple bypass surgery. He's seen the surgeon at the end of the month to discuss the surgery, however it's not likely to happen until the virus situation is somewhat resolved. Given the times we're looking at he's not likely to see the summer.

We need to alter the death toll to include those that aren't receiving necessary treatment because of it.

IndigoPrime

Sorry to hear it, von Boom. Here's hoping your uncle can somehow get through this.

Hawkmumbler

So. I might be going into quarantine.

My manager has been instructed to go into quarantine by HO, she lives with her sister who has been diagnosed with the virus. My last shift was a close with the manager on Wednesday.

I've no nowhere to go besides my family home with the grandparents, an at risk couple.

Honestly have no idea what i'm going to do. After the stress of the last few years this really isn't what I needed from 2020.

Mattofthespurs

I'll come out of a self imposed ban from this site (writing not reading) just to let you all know that my Wife is on day 11 of having this virus.
She has had a dry cough, very nasty sore throat and a mild temperature. She is on the mend but still gets tired easily and is in a constant state of some pain or another.

However, other than feeling grotty she is ok. She is 51, doesn't smoke, hardly drinks and never gets ill. But she does work in London (the filthy place) and think she picked up a couple of good doses from there.

On the plus side my Son and I had a mild cough and sore throat about a week before so we are all hoping that we have had it and seen it on it's way. Fingers crossed. Stay safe everyone.

von Boom

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 March, 2020, 02:24:41 PM
Sorry to hear it, von Boom. Here's hoping your uncle can somehow get through this.
Thanks, IP. I really hope he's able to get the surgery in time. He's only 62 and he took me to see Star Wars in the cinema when I was 7. While I was growing up he gifted me with many of his old scifi/fantasy/horror books. I owe him a lot.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 March, 2020, 02:45:51 PM
So. I might be going into quarantine.

My manager has been instructed to go into quarantine by HO, she lives with her sister who has been diagnosed with the virus. My last shift was a close with the manager on Wednesday.

I've no nowhere to go besides my family home with the grandparents, an at risk couple.

Honestly have no idea what i'm going to do. After the stress of the last few years this really isn't what I needed from 2020.
That's awful news, Hawk. I hope you and your family come out of it unscathed.

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 March, 2020, 03:18:29 PM
I'll come out of a self imposed ban from this site (writing not reading) just to let you all know that my Wife is on day 11 of having this virus.
She has had a dry cough, very nasty sore throat and a mild temperature. She is on the mend but still gets tired easily and is in a constant state of some pain or another.
Glad to hear she's mending, Matt. You haven't been afflicted, I hope.

All the best to everyone.

TordelBack

Jeez lads! Good thoughts go out to you all, and fingers crossed in every case.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Fascinating that a right-wing US website can cherry-pick facts with such confidence that they contradict every single medical practioner and statistician in the world.

I presume the authors will be presenting themselves at the 800 Italian funerals resulting from today's no-worse-than-sesonal-flu to inform them that this is all spun out of proportion by the global liberal elite, probably led by Ocasio-Cortez.

Oh wait, they won't, because there won't be any funerals. Not for those poor people, not for the thousands tomortow and the next day, and not for the millions of US citizens that will follow them.

Tjm86

Thanks Sharky.  A nice, simple piece of work.  Helpful for panicking relatives, methinks.   

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 March, 2020, 05:13:20 PM

Vital Facts About Covid-19.

In the meantime, stay safe folks.

Oh, and if anyone wants a laugh check out recent videos of Trump at press conferences.

There's a great one where he goes full "toddler-tantrum" at a reporter for asking the wrong question and another one where one of his advisers does a face-palm / grimace as he listens to some of the crap Trump spouts.   :o :o :o :o

Hawkmumbler

JustFactDaily is an affiliate of known snake oil merchant Alex Jones and his conspiracy train Info Wars, Sharks.

JOE SOAP

The daily look of 'this wasn't supposed to happen on my watch' terror on Boris's face tells me the consequences of COVID-19 are not hype.

Funt Solo

I do wonder about your motivations, Shark. I assume you've heard of Occam's Razor. If you apply that idea here you just have to ask the simple question of what's more likely?

A. The WHO and plenty of other reputable scientific sources, plus evidence from Italy and China are persuading governments around the world to put their entire economies on hold in order to try and halt the spread of a virus which probably has about a 1% mortality rate and is threatening to overwhelm health service infrastructures on a global scale - which would push that death rate MUCH HIGHER.

B. They're all wrong, but you found the truth on a shit website.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: von Boom on 21 March, 2020, 03:24:30 PM

Glad to hear she's mending, Matt. You haven't been afflicted, I hope.

All the best to everyone.

Thanks. Best wishes.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 March, 2020, 08:06:51 PM

I do wonder about your motivations, Shark. I assume you've heard of Occam's Razor.

I like Newton's Lazer Sword* personally. It's both more precise and more dangerous.

*Anything that can't be proved by experiment should be discounted.
You may quote me on that.