Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Funt is a very bad man. But chuckles are in short supply this morning, so he's forgiven.

Dreading going in to work tomorrow, the Shark Shed seems like a better place to be visiting losing oneself in off-the-wall thinkifying and Ezquerra chat over a pipe or two of the Longbottom Leaf. Stay safe mate, and one day I'll carry out my threat.

For now i'm instead enjoying Rebellion's ingenious gift of a story about a population driven insane by a contaminant from the East prior to the breakdown of society and mass-executions in the street, and the death of half its citizens. Such an escape from grim reality!

Casefiles 5 looks amazing on my phone, the repro seems gorgeous. However, as always I struggle with comic on a screen. Anyone suggest the best viewing App for a pretty teeny Android?

TordelBack

Jim_Campbell

Just in case anyone was uncertain what actual honest-to-God evil looks like, here's a snippet from today's Sunday Times by Tim Shipman, their political editor:

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

shaolin_monkey

I came here to post that exact same things. His 'tactic' lost us days of preventative measures and has likely cost hundreds of lives.

When this is over, let us not forget who brought it upon us.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 March, 2020, 10:10:54 AM

I'm not a fan of violence in any form, but I find myself thinking that if Dominic Cummings' political career ended with a lamp post and a length of piano wire, I wouldn't shed many tears.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

strontium71

For anyone stuck indoors , and likes the radio , I've just come across this link to a dead-easy to use Worldwide station finder. I'm listening to an Oz 80's station , and it's like I'm playing Vice City again!

http://radio.garden/visit/mazara-del-vallo/CSkOWLOq
...because I hate you.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 March, 2020, 10:10:54 AMWhen this is over, let us not forget who brought it upon us.
People will. The Tories will, I'm certain, end up following Trump in blaming the Chinese. When we fall out of EU agencies and the single market, ongoing shortages will be blamed on the EU. It's of course hyperbolic to say we're on a Norsefire trajectory, but we're not a million miles away from that. People are their own worst enemies sometimes, and the Tories are currently polling with an absolute majority (which, if repeated in a GE, hasn't happened since 1931, and would give them well over 400 MPs).

Alternatively, just maybe we'll get a backlash, akin to Churchill after WW2. (And hopefully by that point a decent Labour administration will be around.)

As for C19, the reality is hitting home here. I now feel guilty about going into town, because it wasn't entirely necessary, although I did buy supplies (we have a delivery arriving on Tuesday, but locals have been getting as little as 25% of their orders), and get medication for myself (although I have a small overflow that I built up as we headed towards Brexit). I mean, it wasn't going to pubs, but...

Mrs IP's spiralling. If she stops and thinks, she gets tearful. Iceland stated they are likely to stop all flights soon, and so today she said "I really hope nothing happens to my family, because..." and just kind of stopped. But even internal stuff is going to be like that soon enough.

Mini-G's still bouncy at least. For her right now, this is an extended school holiday, albeit one where her gymnastics sessions are cancelled, and where she's not allowed to see her friends or grandparents. And if we end up with Spain-style lockdown, she won't be allowed out of the house either. I'm at this point very grateful we have a garden at least, which is slowly transforming into something usable after a winter of pretending to be a swamp. (Even our 7kg dog 'sank' in the 'grass' when he went out to do a wee!)

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 March, 2020, 10:10:54 AM
I came here to post that exact same things. His 'tactic' lost us days of preventative measures and has likely cost hundreds of lives.

We live about half-way between a primary school and the borough hospital.  A few days ago one of the teachers from the school died in the hospital.  If Johnson had called the schools out earlier, would she still be alive?  What about all the other teachers, staff and children at the school?

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 March, 2020, 10:44:59 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 March, 2020, 10:10:54 AMWhen this is over, let us not forget who brought it upon us.
People will. The Tories will, I'm certain, end up following Trump in blaming the Chinese. When we fall out of EU agencies and the single market, ongoing shortages will be blamed on the EU
Unfortunately I think you're right.  Even in the midst of Johnson completely failing to show any leadership qualities, before we broke up for home-working at least two people at work said what a great job he was doing.  That was when they were being forced to use public transport (about 80% of usual passengers) with one fifth of usual services.  Even those who normally managed to get seats ended up pressed up against strangers for half an hour.

The Legendary Shark

You're always welcome, Tordels - as are you all (I'm not nearly so scary in real life...).

Anyhoo, I've been reading some second-hand reports about a Bloomberg report - unfortunately, my 'phone can't access the Bloomberg site at all (annoying transcoding error). I'll post what the reports of this report typically say and then the link. If anyone feels like it, could you possibly check the link to see if the reports of the report are real and/or accurate and pass on any links that might be included? Thanks, guys:)

Typical report of the Bloomberg report:

"More than 99% of Italy's coronavirus fatalities were people
who suffered from previous medical conditions, according
to a study by the country's national health authority.
After deaths from the virus reached more than 2,500, with a
150% increase in the past week, health authorities have
been combing through data to provide clues to help combat
the spread of the disease.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte's government is evaluating
whether to extend a nationwide lockdown beyond the
beginning of April, daily La Stampa reported Wednesday.
Italy has more than 31,500 confirmed cases of the illness.
The new study could provide insight into why Italy's death
rate, at about 8% of total infected people, is higher than in
other countries.
The Rome-based institute has examined medical records of
about 18% of the country's coronavirus fatalities, finding
that just three victims, or 0.8% of the total, had no previous
pathology. Almost half of the victims suffered from at least
three prior illnesses and about a fourth had either one or
two previous conditions.
More than 75% had high blood pressure, about 35% had
diabetes and a third suffered from heart disease.
The average age of those who've died from the virus in Italy
is 79.5. As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from
the disease. All of Italy's victims under 40 have been males
with serious existing medical conditions.
While data released Tuesday point to a slowdown in the
increase of cases, with a 12.6% rise, a separate study shows
Italy could be underestimating the real number of cases by
testing only patients presenting symptoms.
According to the GIMBE Foundation, about 100,000 Italians
have contracted the virus, daily Il Sole 24 Ore reported. That
would bring back the country's death rate closer to the
global average of about 2%.
© Copyright 2020 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved."

And the supposed link:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Coronavirus bill: summary of impacts.

"The policy makes provision to postpone elections in England
and Wales scheduled for 7th May 2020 by a year to 6 May
2021. It also makes provision for other relevant elections
and referendums that may arise (for example, by-elections)
to be postponed up to 5 May 2021, and for supplementary
provisions to be made to handle the consequences of any
election postponements."

Eek...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 22 March, 2020, 11:43:01 AM
A few days ago one of the teachers from the school died in the hospital.  If Johnson had called the schools out earlier, would she still be alive?  What about all the other teachers, staff and children at the school?

Fair question.  That said, the 'school closure' is a complete and utter dog's breakfast.  Some schools are open, others are not.  No one really knows who is going to be available to provide staffing or where they are expected to go.  Then again, no one knows how many kids are going to turn up.  FUBAR is definitely an appropriate acronym.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2020, 10:00:13 AM
Just in case anyone was uncertain what actual honest-to-God evil looks like, here's a snippet from today's Sunday Times by Tim Shipman, their political editor:

The final paragraph implies worse.