Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rately on 12 April, 2020, 08:55:53 AMI'm now seriously considering queuing at our local supermarket every day, getting there as early as possible, so I can lift all copies of The Sun, Telegraph etc. and take them all to the Gluten Free aisle and hide them behind the shelves.
Bit harsh on us GFers.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 April, 2020, 11:04:31 AM
Quote from: Rately on 12 April, 2020, 08:55:53 AMI'm now seriously considering queuing at our local supermarket every day, getting there as early as possible, so I can lift all copies of The Sun, Telegraph etc. and take them all to the Gluten Free aisle and hide them behind the shelves.
Bit harsh on us GFers.

Apologies, IndigoPrime.

We all have to suffer during these trying times, but some will have to suffer more than others.

Blue Cactus

Decided to modify this to remove my post cos I was just being a bit moany!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rately on 12 April, 2020, 11:16:45 AMWe all have to suffer during these trying times, but some will have to suffer more than others.
You sound like my MP: "We all have to make sacrifices." But while it's one thing ensuring that I and millions of others will get no financial support, your suggestion I might glimpse The Sun or Telegraph when looking sadly at my restricted range of crap, expensive GF food is clearly a step too far, sir.

(Seriously, forumites: never, ever go GF unless you absolutely have to for medical reasons, or are stark, raving bonkers. And if you aren't GF, please don't take GF food from stores right now, like scumbags locally have been doing, because it's "the only stuff that's left" in some cases.)

Tjm86

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that your local MP is a Tory?

[PS, Rately old chap, the emoticon's do not appear to be working at present.  So sorry]

Rately

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 April, 2020, 01:57:20 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that your local MP is a Tory?

[PS, Rately old chap, the emoticon's do not appear to be working at present.  So sorry]

Just another bloody thing for me to gripe about! - insert  suitable emoticon here -

IndigoPrime

Tjm86: my MP is Ranil Jayawardena, one of those special Tories who's the offspring of migrants and seemingly hates migrants. But he'll be an MP here until he decides he doesn't want to me, unless he does something really very bad indeed. (His predecessor was better, in that he wasn't ERG-leaning, but even he had weird shit going on, like pretending to be a Christian for his entire incumbency.)

paddykafka

Quote from: Rately on 12 April, 2020, 01:59:23 PM

Just another bloody thing for me to gripe about! - insert  suitable emoticon here -
[/quote]

Noticed that myself lately as well. Thought it was something to do with my laptop, or the settings on it... or just my own computer-based technical ineptitude.

Perhaps Tharg's Emoticon chip is malfunctioning?

Hawkmumbler

The entire website has had broken assets and artifacts for me since it's last update...

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 April, 2020, 02:32:25 PM
Tjm86: my MP is Ranil Jayawardena, one of those special Tories who's the offspring of migrants and seemingly hates migrants.

Ah yes, I know the type.  Also strangely enough seem to hate UK non-migrants or rather only like certain types of UK citizens.

As for the feigned faith: please do not get me started.  We Christians have a hard enough time as it is without having to deal with those who think that the Pharisees should be role-models.

I know that in some circles I'm likely to be stoned but I've loved some of the satirical website takes on the Easter story this weekend.  In particular those where they've suggested that the police have attempted to prosecute Jesus for breaching social distancing rules, congregating in groups of more than 2 to get hammered and leaving his tomb without an appropriate reason.  All I would say is try doing that with Islam and see how long you last!

TordelBack

Try doing it 60 years ago in Ireland, and pretty much anywhere 200 years ago. Chrstianity's tolerance of mockery is a very recent development.

paddykafka

Did a double-take, then almost keeled over laughing, at this hilarious example of mis-spelling in a reddit post that I have just seen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/fj5ezw/government_calls_for_pubs_to_shit_from_midnight/

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 April, 2020, 08:08:33 PM
Try doing it 60 years ago in Ireland, and pretty much anywhere 200 years ago. Chrstianity's tolerance of mockery is a very recent development.

We're not out of the woods yet.

Funt Solo

Not sure Steven's comments count as mockery. Maybe righteous indignation?

Quote"Bone cancer in children? What's that about? How dare you! How dare you create a world in which there is such misery that is not our fault. It's not right. It's utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain. Because the god who created this universe (if it was created by god) is quite clearly a maniac. Utter maniac. Totally selfish."

As for Christianity being more tolerant than Islam: yer obvious irony there is that all the other religions tend to line up behind Islamic fundamentalism and support it, on the grounds that religious intolerance is somehow a higher class of intolerance, and should be forgiven. You know: chucking urine-balloons at primary school children would normally be frowned upon, but ... add a bit of religion into the mix and it's all fine, somehow.

I don't mind anyone having their (entirely unfounded) beliefs in the supernatural - but it's a bit rich to go around claiming yours is better than anyone else's. Especially in public.

---

Going off topic a bit, I realize, so here's a pirate in a face mask:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JOE SOAP