Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: sheridan on 26 March, 2020, 06:43:21 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 26 March, 2020, 05:57:39 PM
Just found out our work laptops are ready for pick-up tomorrow so we can work from home! We can take a monitor and a mouse too.

Security is to be informed in case we appear to be looting.  :lol:
Lucky you - we had to provide our own mouses / mice!

Yes, they've been good to us that way. I didn't actually take an extra screen in the end since I don't have my own transport*. My rucksack just wouldn't accommodate it. Not even Bagman**. I also didn't take a mouse since I have one at home. I used a HDMI cable to link my laptop to my TV and use that instead. It worked pretty well.

Oh, after one day of home work, they put us on Furlough leave, so basically I'm on fully paid holiday. I was informed recently we have another 3 weeks, and they reckon after that we'll likely be working from home for much of the rest of this year... not that I mind that.

* A kick scooter doesn't count in these circumstances.

** He has proven very useful for shopping during this period. Since I foot it when I shop, I need to rely on my rucksacks, Bagman and, um, Regular-Floppy-Sack-Man***. A couple of times I've ended up using two if there are a few things, one on my chest one on my back. I must look a right wally walking down the road like that. We have a couple of other people with cars who pick up stuff for us with their own shopping, (they keep a safe distance when dropping it off) which is very helpful, but don't want to rely on that all the time. Besides it's an excuse for me to go out. (I'm careful. I'm talking once or twice a week, and I try to keep my distance from others.)

*** He is strictly utilitarian but quite a trooper in his own way.

Mardroid

Quote from: von Boom on 26 March, 2020, 06:41:58 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 26 March, 2020, 05:57:39 PM
Just found out our work laptops are ready for pick-up tomorrow so we can work from home! We can take a monitor and a mouse too.

Security is to be informed in case we appear to be looting.  :lol:
Surely there can be no confusion.  :)

Heh. While I was there a security guard accompanied me the whole time. He was a nice friendly guy and he told me that it was just to check what I took to note down, but he was there the whole time and didn't write anything.

I don't blame him personally as I know he was just following instructions, but it was a bit much and made me rush more than I'd have liked. Oh and he didn't keep to the 2 metres rule either, even helping me open my sack so I could fit the laptop in. Nice of him, but a bit too nice under the circumstances, I'd think you'd agree. I'd have managed.

I'm not that worried for myself as I reckon I'd cope with the virus okay, but I live with two people in the vulnerable category, so I was a little bemused.

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 March, 2020, 07:33:35 PM
Anyone working from home, please take care to:

- Not overdo hours. Make a schedule that's close to your standard one
- Take regular breaks
- Where possible, get a decent chair — sit at a dining chair and your back and bum will hate you

I've been using an old dining room chair and it is a bit hard on the botty. Literally. I invested in a nice office chair which arrived last week. Unfortunately they forgot to pack the spring washers, so I've another delivery to wait for, but the company were quick to respond.

shaolin_monkey

Just a quick aside, and in no way COVID-19 related:

QuoteSince I foot it when I shop, I need to rely on my rucksacks, Bagman and, um, Regular-Floppy-Sack-Man***

Do you leave the grenades on Bagman? Just wondered if it might help with the social distancing...

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shaolin_monkey

Mardroid

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 April, 2020, 04:04:12 PM
Just a quick aside, and in no way COVID-19 related:

QuoteSince I foot it when I shop, I need to rely on my rucksacks, Bagman and, um, Regular-Floppy-Sack-Man***

Do you leave the grenades on Bagman? Just wondered if it might help with the social distancing...

Heh! There's an idea...

No, Egg-man and Susan* currently reside in one of my clothes drawers.

* I was thinking of calling the second grenade 'Colin' but it occurred to me, why should all my accoutrements be male?  I was thinking of going for an egg or a bomb based pun but I think I'll stick with 'Susan'. Despite her explosive nature when primed, she's a shy girl at heart who doesn't like to come out of her shell.

Just don't ask me which is which.

paddykafka

I was extremely relieved to hear back, from my oldest and dearest friend of over forty years - and resident in Japan for a long time now - that he and his family are all okay. He told me that the government over there has declared a state of emergency but aside from that, not much else. (Apparently, the prime minister, Shinzo Abe has given instructions that two face masks will be issued per family. So if your family is limited to just two members then you're sorted. My friend informed me that this announcement was made almost a month ago and that the masks are expected at any time.)

To say that I am worried for my friend and his family is an understatement.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/japan-facing-catastrophe-in-virus-fight-994752.html

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 April, 2020, 03:26:20 PM

** He has proven very useful for shopping during this period. Since I foot it when I shop, I need to rely on my rucksacks, Bagman and, um, Regular-Floppy-Sack-Man***. A couple of times I've ended up using two if there are a few things, one on my chest one on my back. I must look a right wally walking down the road like that.
Sounds like the Nort G.I.s in their base on the moon (or nu-earth).  I had a look to see if I could see reference pictures online, but having the director of Moon associated with the Rogue Trooper film make it a tad difficult to find...

Tjm86

Ah, you're thinking of the Colonel Kovert mission circa Prog 351.  ["Walking on the Moon" cover tagline].  Art by Cam Kennedy.

shaolin_monkey

‪U.K. folk -  Important reminder: ‬

‪You can help Kings College London track and slow the virus!‬

‪Follow the link, download an app, and just log in once a day for a quick 30 second update on how you're feeling.‬

‪Go here:‬

‪https://covid.joinzoe.com/‬

sintec

Some useful info on the source of some conspiracy nonsense I've been seeing trapsed around on other social media; A Toxic 'Infodemic': The Viral Spread Of COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories

Seems some people don't realise that an osteopath may not be the best source for advice on the spread of infections. Although tbf the individual I encountered spouting this nonsense felt that QAnon was a better source of info that The Lancet so I'm not sure there's any helping them tbh.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Sintec, that link isnt working- at least for me.

SBT

sintec

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 20 April, 2020, 06:41:44 PM
Sintec, that link isnt working- at least for me.

SBT

oops think I screwed up my URL tag - this one worked for me in the preview hopefully good for others too

A Toxic 'Infodemic': The Viral Spread Of COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories | HuffPost UK

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Brilliant, yep that's good now.

I feel like I'mfighting a running battle with people I know in all walks of life over ridiculous conspiracy crap regarding C19. It's like everybody has completely taken leave of heir senses, emptied their heads and is prepared to believe whatever nonsense reinforces their very personal fears.

I had it today with my mum and dad- my father, 83, is refusing to self isolate. Despite my mother having copd, half a lung and receiving a letter from her hero Boris pleading her to stay home, my dad doesnt see the need to protect her. Hes "a trained soldier", you see. When he was in the army, he received injections and was told by the medic "you boys getting these jabs, you'll never get ill". Despite that being 64 years ago and the intervening years bringing cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and continual shits (thanks for that, dad) he somehow sticks by this anonymous cretinous army doctor's word. "I'm still alive" he says, "so he was right".

Sorry, one for the "life sucks" thread really.

SBT