Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid - SEMI FINALS - Colin MacNeil or Simon Davis

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 February, 2021, 06:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I mean you could make it the all Simon final we all crave. Please can I ask all those Simons coming in as ringers just top elevate your name to back off and let the art speak please.

Colin MacNeil - more info
OR

Simon Davis - more info

Alas we have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to the FINAL!!!!!, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well. It really helps if you use BOLD tags or otherwise make your vote clear.

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Sunday 7th February

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys and Quarter Finals[/s] semi finals - I've not updated this - cos we know what we're doing right. There's a tiny bit more about the Semi's here but it's mainly just a post about what's coming after...

Who made the 32 in both tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth again not updated as we're getting good at this now aren't we.

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

abelardsnazz

Hmmm - Colin has been a mainstay for a long time with so much fantastic work. But because I love his painted style where every page is truly a work of art, I'm going with Simon Davis.

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, while Colin has turned in some truly gorgeous work over the years ('America' being the most obvious), I find Simon Davis's art just so expressive and soulful, and has an amazing sense of freedom and movement.

Simon Davis for me!

I know this isn't comic related, and it hasn't swayed my decision, but his portraits are sublime:

https://therp.co.uk/portfolio/simon-davis-vprp-rbsa/

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 February, 2021, 08:28:47 AM
I know this isn't comic related, and it hasn't swayed my decision, but his portraits are sublime:

https://therp.co.uk/portfolio/simon-davis-vprp-rbsa/

What this does show is how lucky we are to have him and clearly comics are an absolute labour of love. Those portraits are stunning (wasn't he President of the Portrait Society or similar?) and the rates he is able to charge for comissions suggestions (noty knowing the economics of all this) that he does comics cos he wants to!

Bolt-01

Oh Simon is an absolute star, and a really nice guy to boot. His work in the 'flesh' is amazing to behold (I'm lucky enough to have a few of his pages from early Sin/Dex) but I'm still voting for Colin MacNeil

O Lucky Stevie!

I bloody love Simon Davis's work, but it can only be Colin MacNeill.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

AlexF

Barrington Boots

Simon's work is sublime but I can't not vote for Colin. He's produced some really 2000-ad defining art for me throughout the years, none less so than Song of the Surfer absolutely blowing me away in the Prog as a teenager. It's always a delight to see his work crop up.

Colin MacNeil for me!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tomwe

Colin MacNeil's work was always great but his current stark contrast style is my fave.

Magnetica

Can't see beyond Henry Flint...er....,Colin MacNeil, a man whose art has bestrode Tharg's publications for decades.

IndigoPrime

Colin's input to key moments in 2000 AD's history (and the Meg's) is obvious, most notably with Song of the Surfer, America and Insurrection. Even so, this is often about your reaction to the way the art impacts on you. And for that reason, I'm going with Simon Davis, whose work just grabs me in the right way.

TordelBack

I think just having SBD near the prog elevates the whole enterprise, his work is genuinely peerless in comics: the imagery he creates, the richness of his faces, the colour of light, the solidity of everything. His lurching unearthly menaces are that much more disturbing because they have quite clearly forced themselves into a real world of texture and space and light. Magnificent man.

But I'll restate my belief that Colin has been the strong backbone of 2000AD and the Meg for the past 30 years, and may be the most criminally underrated* artist working in comics today.

The really crazy thing about Colin is that the day he drew his first Ulysses Sweet page for 2000AD he already had a brilliant style that would serve any artist well. Then he developed another. Then he developed a painted style.  Then he developed another one of those. And another. And another B&W style. And an ink-wash style. And a digital style. And another. And another. And...

He's never stopped inventing new ways to tell stories, and yet he never really needed to: Ulysses Sweet,  A Sorry Case, John Cassavetes Is Dead - those were fine,  30 more years of that style and we'd all have been happy. But no. Instead we got America, Mechanismo, Red Tide, Final Solution, Fiends: Stalingrad, Song of the Surfer, Satanus Unchained, Shimura, Insurrection (several different ones there), Cadet, Tour of Duty, Defoe, Guatemala...  On and on, continuous delightful reinvention.

One day the world will notice, and they'll lure him away from us with lorries full of gold hats and beard-care products, and I'll  be even more glad that I voted for Colin MacNeil, while he was still ours to praise.

*Outside of our tiny corner of comics fandom.

rogue69

ming

My vote goes to Colin MacNeil .  I've not got a bad word to say about Simon Davis though; yet another artist that we're very lucky to have kept nestled warmly in Tharg's verdant bosom.