Main Menu

The Book of Boba Fett [SPOILERS]

Started by rogue69, 29 September, 2021, 08:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

And, lest we forget, the granddaddy of 'em all - Bullitt.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'd add Steve McQueen in a 'stang*  and BMW vs Citreon from Ronin to the list of great movie car chases. DeNiro really nails his performance as someone who knows they're driving way too fast.

*Edit: Shark beat me to it. I'd like to add those cars weren't doing controlled stunt skids, they were actually on the verge of sliding of the road.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

And listen to that Mustang growl!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

OK, I give in.  Some car chases in films are good.  One or two are very good.  Also, I can't believe no one's noticed a certain bike / van chase back in 2012, featuring a jacket that says 'drokk' on the back and a poster of our own poster, Joe Soap.  I fecking love that scene.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I highly recommend The French Connection - it's a properly gritty 70s cop movie. As for realism - the car chase was fairly criminal - the people on the road are real pedestrians on uncleared streets, and the director is filming from the back seat.

I'm a bit of a heathen and have never understood the appeal of Bullitt. I'm probably spoiled by everything that it inspired.

---

Boba Fett. [Staying on topic, here.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Clearly the guy in this show is  some imposter  the sarlacc also swallowed, and I look forward to seeing this guy:

The one true Fett will reclaim his Helmet.
You may quote me on that.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 18 January, 2022, 10:11:03 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 January, 2022, 09:51:10 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 January, 2022, 09:06:35 AM
What is Star Warsy?

Good question which is why I framed it with "feel" and "to me".

It's different things to different people but I would imagine there are some things definitely "not Star Wars" e.g. time travel

Don't watch [spoiler]the last episode of The Clone Wars[/spoiler]

I did of course mean [spoiler]the last episode of Rebels[/spoiler], not [spoiler]Clone Wars[/spoiler].

sheridan

...as for the hover vespas...

They did kind of bring me out of it, though I don't object to them (as some have said) on the grounds that they're shinier than everything else we've seen on Tatooine.  There are plenty of examples in the real world of people living in conditions somewhere between slums and shanty towns, and still putting effort in to making sure they have a shiny chrome vehicle.

The Legendary Shark

I kinda' liked the Vespas, they made me smile. If there can be hovering trains and rocket backpacks, why not these too? The chase was a little tame, though.

Overall, I'm enjoying the series so far, though, and think (as others have noted) that old Boba is a more interesting character here than he is in the films, where his character is little more than a cypher. He's seen the Empire fall at the hands of the more reasonable, but no less kick-ass, rebels - so maybe he's taking a leaf out of their book as well as slowing down a bit due to experience, age, and physical deterioration. I wouldn't be surprised if he teams up with the Mandalorian, or a Jedi, at some stage - after all, even Vader came back over to the light side in the end.

*Edit* Bullitt wasn't a very good film - except for that car chase.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Ah, that'll be when arch bounty hunter Boba Fett acts like a complete twonk in slow motion, bounces off a barge, and falls into the gaping maw of a big creature in the desert.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 January, 2022, 10:26:41 AM
Ah, that'll be when arch bounty hunter Boba Fett acts like a complete twonk in slow motion, bounces off a barge, and falls into the gaping maw of a big creature in the desert.

You forgot to mention the Ned Flanders scream  :lol:

IndigoPrime

It's just so naff. I get why people are annoyed Boba Fett is a bit shit in the Disney+ series, but he's an old fucker now. In ROTJ, what was his excuse for the laboured pauses and not just getting shit done? I mean, aside from allowing the heroes to win, so the rest of the movie could happen?

Anyway, I'm enjoying the series enough to continue. It's not as good as Mando, but it's leagues ahead of the utter dross that was Falcon and Winter Soldier, so I'll take that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 January, 2022, 01:09:02 PM
but he's an old fucker now.

Since this takes place in the Mandalorian timeline, it's actually only supposed to be (what?) seven or eight years after RotJ, which took place twenty-odd years after we saw him as a kid in AotC, so he should only be early-to-mid 40s... maybe 50 depending on exactly how old he was meant to be in AotC, and the slightly nebulous timescale between the films of the original trilogy. I think we're supposed to accept it's the burns and scarring from the Sarlacc acid we saw in Ep1 that makes him look older (Temuera Morrison is 61).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.