Main Menu

Dredd vs Death - bodycount

Started by shaolin_monkey, 08 April, 2015, 10:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Has it ever occurred to anyone that if we exclude Deadworld, and concentrate on fatalities in Dredd's world, Judge Dredd has caused a much higher bodycount than Judge Death and his cronies?  I'm pretty sure Dredd has killed far more than the Dark Judges, what with nuking the odd city here and there etc. 

Surely this makes Dredd the ultimate Dark Judge?

Any thoughts?

Steve Green

I think it's been mentioned before - you can add alternative earth getting nuked via the Apocalypse Warp...

Maybe even in the 'It's a Dreddful Life' story.

Dandontdare

Dredd has killed more people than anyone else on the face of the planet ever!

Dark Jimbo

Death himself has referenced this two or three times now - he must see Dredd as the biggest hypocrite going!
@jamesfeistdraws

glassstanley

Discounting Deadworld is cheating a little - Death did wipe out the entire population of his world.  Dredd hasn't quite achieved that yet.

Also, the Apocalypse Warp was activated by the Sovs, so you can't lay the blame for that with Dredd...

Steve Green

He launched the TADs - still bodycount even if it wasn't intentional.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 April, 2015, 10:10:40 AM
Has it ever occurred to anyone that if we exclude Deadworld... Judge Dredd has caused a much higher bodycount than Judge Death and his cronies?

Worth pointing out that even if you include Deadworld, Dredd is personally responsible for more than twice the deaths caused by the four Dark Judges combined! His Apocalypse War/Judgement Day tally gives him approx two billion, more than twice the population of Deadworld, even before you take into account the many executions we've seen him commit on the streets of the Meg in the past 38 years (and depending on your point of view, you could even lay the blame for the 350 million of Chaos Day at his door).
@jamesfeistdraws

Jacqusie

Dredd kills people in the name of Justice and the law that he up holds, which in his eyes makes that 'Just' tough and fair. I suppose that he racks up the bodycount as part of this process makes him by definition a killer & taker of human life... but in a justified way... or is it?

Death and his squad see all life as injust and therefore see their creed as a way of bringing justice to the living by killing everyone. They see that as a fair and just cause.

Take that to it's end point where they only survive and they have done their work of bringing justice to the living & everyones dead. What really do they stand for any longer? Justice? It can't really exist.

I'm not sure if the ends and the means have always justified themselves in Dredds decisions, but I'd like to think he's a bit more balanced in his work than Death is?

ZenArcade

He's sure zapped a lot of peeps, although to be fair the initial retaliatory strike during the Apocalypse War would have been authorised by the Chief Judge (or someone else from the remnants of the Council of Five); he did launch the missile silo strike so that's 500,000,000; he has wiped lots of cits but possibly 'only' in the thousands; the strikes on the several Mega Cities during Judgment Day (loathe as I am to acknowledge the story) was again an agreed (if idiotic) course if action by an amalgam of world leaders; DOC was probably on the cards whoever hit the button on the second Apocalypse Strike (it was revenge for getting beaten, the Sovs showed little reluctance in killing over 400,000,000 million Meg Citizens in their 'pre-emptive' strike at the start of the war).
So in my estimation JD still falls well short of a Billion. As ever subject to immediate and detracting correction. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

In the Dreddverse, everyone is a murdering bastard. Dredd and Death just to a higher degree.