Main Menu

Dredd: The Complete Case Files

Started by Arkady, 24 August, 2015, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 September, 2023, 11:33:04 PMWhy would they do that, Jim? It didn't need improving. The new "E"s are worse, with their shortened bottom line, and the "M" is all curved and too big for its boots.

After Tom's death, his family felt it would be appropriate to 'retire' Tom's custom lettering font, so I imagine that any existing Frame digital lettering that, for whatever reason, hadn't been converted from live text to outlines would need substituting for something that looked reasonably close to the Frame droid's work.

Given that it's based on someone else's hand lettering (Marian Churchland's, obviously!) the Churchland font is a surprisingly good fit, although I run it with the horizontal scale up a little for the 'Frame tribute' style I use on Spector.

It's possible that Rebellion hold/held a copy of Tom's original font from back in the day, but there are any number of reasons why they might not be able to use it (not least because it might well be in the deprecated .ttf format, which a lot of print workflows will no longer accept).

So... my money is on an automatic font substitution routine that hit a glitch here and somehow slipped through the net.

(Please note that everything I've said here is speculation: I have no insight into the production/pre-press pipeline at Rebellion.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 September, 2023, 07:29:20 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 September, 2023, 11:33:04 PMWhy would they do that, Jim? It didn't need improving. The new "E"s are worse, with their shortened bottom line, and the "M" is all curved and too big for its boots.

After Tom's death, his family felt it would be appropriate to 'retire' Tom's custom lettering font, so I imagine that any existing Frame digital lettering that, for whatever reason, hadn't been converted from live text to outlines would need substituting for something that looked reasonably close to the Frame droid's work.

Given that it's based on someone else's hand lettering (Marian Churchland's, obviously!) the Churchland font is a surprisingly good fit, although I run it with the horizontal scale up a little for the 'Frame tribute' style I use on Spector.

It's possible that Rebellion hold/held a copy of Tom's original font from back in the day, but there are any number of reasons why they might not be able to use it (not least because it might well be in the deprecated .ttf format, which a lot of print workflows will no longer accept).

So... my money is on an automatic font substitution routine that hit a glitch here and somehow slipped through the net.

(Please note that everything I've said here is speculation: I have no insight into the production/pre-press pipeline at Rebellion.)

Thanks, Jim. That makes sense and I am glad it's likely a problem arising out of respect. Not that it helps those affected.
Lock up your spoons!

dan200

I'm pretty sure it's just a technical glitch with the digital versions. The printed versions have no such issue.

Richard

I have the printed issue. That's what I took a photo of.

dan200

My bad, I got confused with an earlier post showing a digital version with the whole book in the wrong font.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 September, 2023, 07:29:20 AM...
It's possible that Rebellion hold/held a copy of Tom's original font from back in the day, but there are any number of reasons why they might not be able to use it (not least because it might well be in the deprecated .ttf format, which a lot of print workflows will no longer accept)....

I think you meant PS Type 1 fonts which Adobe stopped supporting this year. .ttf are still used alongside .otf, the only difference being copyright control and max glyph totals.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Lorenzo on 01 October, 2023, 09:28:37 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 September, 2023, 07:29:20 AM...
I think you meant PS Type 1 fonts which Adobe stopped supporting this year. .ttf are still used alongside .otf, the only difference being copyright control and max glyph totals.

I haven't used a .ttf in years, and a number of font houses have stopped offering them as an option so they may not be 'officially' deprecated but the format's days definitely seem numbered (and I've seen some print specs that specifically ask that fonts in that format aren't used). It's been so long since I encountered a Postscript font in the wild that I'd forgotten they still existed!

I'm not up on the technical differences between .ttf and .otf, but .otf seems to have much better ligature/autolig options.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Is/Will the problem be fixed in future editions...?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

dan200

Probably worth emailing Rebellion about it so they can fix it on the digital versions for future printings, they may not be reading this thread.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Thanks, I'll do that sometime this week
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Tu-plang

I'm pretty sure that font isn't Churchland though--it's Tom's font, from around 2000-2003. After c.2003 it was  replaced by the rounder version in the second image. So they've replaced one Tom font with another.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Richard on 27 September, 2023, 06:40:12 PMSo in Case Files 42, page 143, there has been some kind of error where some words in bold type have been left out of a speech bubble:

Here is the original from prog 1482:

I've contacted Rebellion about this problem and will hopefully update this thread when, or even if, I finally receive a response.
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

@Richard , sorry for the double post but I've finally gotten a response from Rebellion.

QuoteHello there, I hope you're well and apologies for the wait.
We've of yet only had one printing of Case Files 42 and I've just checked three different copies here at the office and not one of them has the error you mention so I suspect that Forum member Richard's copy must be one off.
(At least, as far as I can tell)

If you DO pick one up and it's got this error you let me know, with a picture ofc, and we'll happily replace.

Regards,
2000 AD, Rebellion Publishing and Unplugged
Texts from Last Night

Le Fink

I have the same problem in my copy.

One-off, right...

nxylas

Release the East-Meg Sleeper cut.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!