Main Menu

Recent posts

News / Re: Regened is returning – to ...
Last post by broodblik - Today at 07:17:55 PM
adding to this it will have a more regular run as well
Last post by broodblik - Today at 07:15:01 PM
Interesting move. Basically it is just replacing the reprints (which in most cases I have not read at all)
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 07:11:34 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on Today at 05:37:18 PMA snap from the Vertigo edition for the heck of it. The paper quality is so-so but the repro is OK.

It's the so-so paper quality that stops the colours from over-saturating — I think that looks great, TBH!
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 07:08:56 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on Today at 06:08:12 PMSo this must just be a case of using page count in the Meg to build content for subsequent collections.

Pure speculation on my part, but this suggests that the TPBs have sold well enough for it not to really matter where the serialised pages run, as long as there's a book's worth at the end. (Which would kind of bear out what we've both been saying about Da Kidz preferred format for comic consumption.)

QuoteSo, for now at least, we'll be getting more original strip, for the same cover price.

Given that a lot of people say they don't read much of the reprint anyway, you'd think this was a win-win — they can just not read this new material as well, but at least it is new material. Well, you'd think it was win-win, but I've seen people bitching about the announcement on FB already.

Ahhh... fans.
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 06:52:53 PM
I'm looking forward to Scrappy-Jargo taking over editorial duties in the Meg.

++Harsh punishments bring results in Dreadnoughts Daycare!++
++Laugh as Devlin Waugh and his naughty demon sidekick, Cucumber Sid, get up to their usual shenanigans!++
++Armitage promotes welfare reform for youth offenders in Nappies for an Old Man.++
Film & TV / Re: Rogue Trooper News…!
Last post by The Legendary Shark - Today at 06:50:49 PM

The Horror!
Last post by Le Fink - Today at 06:28:44 PM
The Meg seems a very odd home for all-ages. I'd be happy to see those strips you mentioned continue in tooth.

There are arguably 3 all-ages strips running in tooth at the moment. Dredd, with its Stephen King like young protagonists (hey, I said arguably, c'mon), the 3riller, and Intestinauts. All top tales as far as I'm concerned. All-ages is fine if it's done well.
General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 06:10:08 PM
QuoteAs part of Rebellion's continuing mission to hook a whole new generation on Thrill-power, strips such as Cadet Dredd, Departmetnt K and Pandora Perfect will find a new home in the [Judge Dredd Megazine].
Source.

Well, I didn't see that coming. So as to not derail this thread with Regened discussion, I've set up another thread here: https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=49750.0
News / Regened is returning – to the ...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 06:08:12 PM
I figure this one needs a thread of its own. 2000 AD has just announced that Regened wasn't dead after all – it was just sleeping:

https://2000ad.com/news/thrills-for-the-future-all-ages-comics-return-to-2000-ad-this-summer/

Judging by this, relevant series will continue to exist in 2000 AD, but initially will be in the Meg. We'll be getting new Pandora Perfect and Dept. K, and later in the year more Cadet Dredd.

Now, I'm all for two of those. Langridge/Welsh on Pandora and Harltey/Walters on Dept. K seem like good pairings. And while I don't care for Cadet Dredd, it's notable that these strips will replace a chunk of reprint. So, for now at least, we'll be getting more original strip, for the same cover price.

This all seems good. The one snag will be the massive tonal whiplash in the Meg from these strips, and the rather obvious point that no-one in their right mind will let their kids leaf through quite a few Megs for those strips. So this must just be a case of using page count in the Meg to build content for subsequent collections.

Either way, it's certainly an interesting approach. And, again, I'm happy to see the return of two fab strips. But how this will actually work out, I've no idea.
General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by Le Fink - Today at 05:48:41 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on Today at 04:55:41 PMI have it on good authority, having liaised with the Rebellion team, that although this book will follow the Eagle Comics' colouring scheme, it will be tweaked so that the page ratio issues are addressed. I am reasonably reassured and will be going ahead with this purchase.

Let us know what you think. The colours shown in the screenshots in this thread put me off rather! I think B&W Carlos art should take colour quite well so I'd love to see it re-coloured using a more modern approach. Not enough money in it I suppose, shame.