Main Menu

Completely Self-absorbed Top 100 Comic Runs You Need to Read

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 October, 2023, 03:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JohnW on 16 November, 2023, 10:14:03 AMI hadn't seen The Wire when I read this, but the comparison is apt. But imagine if Penguin or the Riddler popped up from time to time in The Wire. The absurdity would deflate everything around it.
Gotham Central was very nearly a hard-boiled slice-of-life cop story and very nearly a Batman story for grownups, but narrowly missed both marks.
(...And then didn't it balls up the lot towards the end by dragging itself into a big fat DC crossover event of some sort?)
I'm possibly being unfair. I remember this as high-grade comics, but I also remember my frustration at its just-a-couple-of-inches-too-short shortcomings.

That's a really good take. I think I approached it as good batverse stories told really well. As with all these things it what the reader brings to the party... and I've completely forgotten if there's a big crossover thing tied in at the end... or blanked it... its entirely possible.

Important to say its DEFO not as good as The Wire, if The Wire was comics it'd be top 20!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 November, 2023, 10:20:17 AMOne I'm incredibly ignorant of, but a curiosity or two has been piqued. On the pile it goes, cheers Colin.
Actually surprised how little none Vertigo DC stuff I own.
Grant and Breyfoggles Batman stuff, Ostranders original Suicide Squad stuff and that is sort of it.

Well I'll be helping there (or not!) there are 15 or so DC titles on my list. Though fair to say many of them are DC Universe and don't all feel very DC. Grant and Breyfogle Batman is defo amongst them.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 November, 2023, 07:47:51 AM

Number 130 - Orbital

Keywords: Cinebooks; Bande dessinée; Sci-fi; 2000ad

Creators:
Writer -  Sylvain Runberg
Art - Serge Pelle

Publisher: Cinebook, in UK, Dupuis for the original French publication

No. issues: 8 albums
Date of Publication: 2009 - 2020 (in UK); 2006 - 2019 (in France)

Last read: 2021

Orbital is an 8 volume French series published in the UK by the wonderful Cinebook. I'll be talking about the UK versions here as my French and indeed ability in all languages is embarrassingly lacking.

Thanks for this one, looks quite something.  Puts me in mind of Colin Wilson's Real: Into the Shadow of the Sun.  The first volume of a trilogy originally published in French, only the first got translated.  it's pretty typical Wilson artwork of the kind he was doing on the early Rogue Trooper.  Like you, I can't speak French, I am however tempted occasionally to get the complete edition and just luxuriate in Wilson's art.

Think I'lll be adding this to my list of things to look out for.

BadlyDrawnKano

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 November, 2023, 11:50:27 AM
Quote from: BadlyDrawnKano on 15 November, 2023, 11:11:09 AMpoor old Peter does seem to have been forgotten about a bit.

He does, and most unfairly, IMO. I was heartened to hear our very own Matt Smith mention Milligan/McKeever's "The Extremist" as his choice of under-rated comic (on the most recent Comics for the Apocalypse podcast). Also, "Enigma", which, in a better world, would be mentioned as reverentially as Watchmen.

I loved both of those as well, and though his modern work is a little patchy (Dogs Of London didn't work for me, but The-Excellent did) it would be great if he was able to have a huge hit on his hands again, if only so that his earlier work might be reprinted.

Le Fink

Really enjoying these submissions Colin. Am working through Copperhead, yep, it's a good un. Have ordered the initial Orbital volumes - they look really good art wise. And will give the first volume of Nowhere Men a go. My shelves are already groaning.

I did get a few issues of Nexus back in the day - when Dark Horse started publishing it. But just didn't get into it. It was perhaps too thoughtful for me at the time - looking back I was more into Lobo (on the back of the Biz drawing a couple of series)!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BadlyDrawnKano on 19 November, 2023, 09:16:30 AM[Pete Milligan] and though his modern work is a little patchy (Dogs Of London didn't work for me, but The-Excellent did) it would be great if he was able to have a huge hit on his hands again, if only so that his earlier work might be reprinted.

Yeah I've read a bunch of the recent Pete Milligan minis, it did seem for a while like he was an IP facotry running off short story after short story. All of which were enjoyable but to varying degrees. Dogs of London was probably my least favourite but there were some beauts as well. X-Cellent was really good and will be wrapped up into an entry coming later in the list...

Quote from: Le Fink on 19 November, 2023, 04:16:40 PMReally enjoying these submissions Colin. Am working through Copperhead, yep, it's a good un. Have ordered the initial Orbital volumes - they look really good art wise. And will give the first volume of Nowhere Men a go. My shelves are already groaning.

Cool and also YIKE! One of the aims of this list was to try to point folks to what I think are some of the best comics out there and its super great that folks are being turned onto things because of my yacking. That said as its so much my list and so idiosyncratic I'm also nervous when folks are actually spending their hard earned money at least in part based on things I say! Really hope you enjoy them. Do report back, glad you are enjoying Copperhead.

Colin YNWA

Number 127 - Giant Days

Keywords: Sheffield; needs a reread; slice of Life; comedy

Creators:
Writer -  John Allison
Art - Lissa Treiman, Max Sarin, with inks by Julia Fleming for much of the run
Colours - Whitney Cogar
Letters: Our own Jim Campbell

Publisher: Boom! Studios

No. issues: 54
Date of Publication: 2015 - 2019

Last read: 2010

Well this one is VERY interesting and raises a number of questions, being:

Why is this so low, even accepting all the comics on this list are GREAT.
Why does this need a re-read since its not been very long since I read it - the answer to which will in part, I suspect, answer my first question.
Why haven't I mentioned the Letterers before now and only do so here 'cos its our Jim?

I will try to answer all this and more when I discuss...

Copyright - them what created it...

John Allison, writer and creator of Giant Days - and before folks jump on me, yes I know there's artists involved but John Allison did all the creative stuff on the webcomic that precedes the comic book... and I should note I've not read that and this guff only refers to the comic series - ahem where was I... oh yes John Allison writer and creator of Giant Days went to University of Sheffield in the mid to late nineties (judging by his age) and so did I. Giant Days uses that as a reference point and tells of the experience of three students in their three years at Sheffield Uni, though admittedly set later than my adventures there (I think).

The three are... well actually the panel below perfectly tells you so rather than me butcher it read this...

The comic is hilarious, charming and fantastically drawn, by all three artists. The humour is playful, but doesn't undercut the wonderfully observed characters, not just the three leads but the supporting cast as well. The drama is mundane and yet carries the melodrama we all give small things as we live these moments of self discovery through our quiet realities. It's just great comics. Damnit, it didn't only get nominated for Eisners, by the end of the series it was winning them.

So why the hell is this appearing so early in this list? Bloody good question and one I will attempt to answer... but I'm a little mystified myself. See this has moments of feeling deeply personal to me. Not only can I relate so closely to many aspects of the different characters and their struggles... well their struggles...ish, I find myself laughing at myself for having gone through such pains over such silly (but important) things.

It's also genuinely set in Sheffield. I mean it doesn't labour the point BUT damn it is Sheffield. See that Library in the panels above that really is Western Bank Library, they are sat in the postgrad screened off bit (I mean they shouldn't really be in that bit but no one checked.) I tended to 'study' on the mezzanine literally above that bit, you can see the shelves that held the biology books above their heads as they study.

When they go to the train station, even though it's not featured in massive detail you can tell it's the train station, and when I say 'the' I mean it's specifically Sheffield Train Station. They even mention the bloody Cobden View, I used to live on the street that backed onto and drank in there a fair bit.

The thing is no one ever called it The Cobden View Arms (as is done in the panels above), no one. It's the Cobden View, or more likely The Cobden. I mean it's entirely possible that it's actually called Cobden View Arms, I strangely don't know. All I know is no one ever referred to it as that. And that, right there is my problem with this... my problem, not the comics. This is simply wonderful comics... but I'm too close to it.

When I started to read this I was bowled over with it. These are  amazing comics recounting my life, in my city, the city I love. Sheffield isn't over-stated, it's not one of the main characters in the way Mega City One, Gotham and Downlode are. Rather it's a supporting character, helping to shape the tone and feel of the series a little, giving a very real setting, especially to those that know it.

As I read on and the comics arguably gets better and better I found myself feeling a bit put out. This wasn't really my life, it reflected different aspects of my life but it wasn't really mine. It was close enough though that as it told its own stories, had its own reactions to adventures I'd almost lived, it started to grate a little. Those initial connections and intimate shared experiences seemed less and less important. Less and less significant. Just as they should. For 98.7% of readers that wouldn't matter a jot and it really shouldn't have to me.

But it did. I felt a little jilted. Too close to not still love it, to separate to be able to get past the fact it was changing, growing beyond me. And so I had a very silly, childish even, reaction, I started to resent things, feel annoyed and the characters started to grate, simply because they were living their own life, as they rightly should. It really is my problem, but it's also very real to me, entirely my honest reaction, however wrong that might be.

That's the only reason it's not much higher, my reaction, my silly childish needs from something that felt so perfect for me having the cheek to grow in its own ways. So if you are reading this and shaking your head in pity for me. GOOD. That's the appropriate reaction to this write-up. That's how it should be and you really should go and read these wonderful, charming, hilarious comics and pity my stupid personal reaction.

It's also why I really need to re-read it again. I need to give it a bit more space and come in again, fresh with my expectations adjusted. With a bit of time and distance I'll be able to read these as just great comics, set aside my childish, oh so personal objections and just appreciate the craft on display here.

Now to the final question (you know the one's I posed at the beginning, go back, check um) why don't I mention lettering much, if at all. Well I'm a little ashamed to say I'm not great at analysing lettering. I'm more often than not in the school that the best lettering goes unnoticed... that is until I see the very best lettering (or bad lettering I guess) and I go WOW! Lettering is super important and part of the art... but day to day I have to be honest I don't have the skills to understand what makes it good, aside from knowing it helps with the flow of reading and doesn't interfere with the art. Or where the art doesn't take account of the lettering and the letterer has to work like billyo to make it work as best they can.

SO since this is turning into a confessional (and there will be a lot of that in these posts) now seems the perfect time to apologise to all the letterers who contribute to the works I discuss and I ignore and don't acknowledge. Again it's me, not them that's the problem. Which given the amount of comics I read is pretty poor. So sorry Jim, I do appreciate you, just not in a way I can articulate!

So yeah Giant Days, wonderful comics that expose so much about how this is a very personal list and how you should all just really ignore me and do your own list... well except you should all read ALL the comics on this list as they are all super good!

Where to find it

There are a load of trades omnibus and other collections out there.

I got these digitally in a sale a good while ago and Humble Bundle is a great place to look out for great comic deals that also support some great charities - always remember to add a little extra if you can to boost the amount that goes to the charities and doesn't stiff the creators. You'll still be getting a crazy good deal.

The floppies are getting pretty hard to get comprehensively as I've discovered.

Learn more

Obligatory Wikipedia page

Nerdist has a short, but decent write up.

To be honest there's not a great deal out there - and there really should be - even publisher Boom! doesn't have much to say. So I guess you'll just have to read them!

Barrington Boots

Great review this Colin, really appreciate the personal reasons you have for loving (and falling out of love with) this one.

I've read a bit of Giant Days and as someone who was at university in the 90s (not at Sheffield) can confirm that there's some perfectly observed moments in there and that this comic can be very charming. I'm sad to admit I'd forgotten all about it, but this has inspired me to pick up a copy of the first collected edition for my wife, who I'm hoping will enjoy it.
Something I really like is the title. I'm not sure why John Allison picked it, but I love it as a description of that period of my life.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 November, 2023, 09:51:21 AMI'm sad to admit I'd forgotten all about it, but this has inspired me to pick up a copy of the first collected edition for my wife, who I'm hoping will enjoy it.

On the gift front, it's worth mentioning that Boom are currently releasing the whole series as a set of handsome hardcover books — each of the 'Library Editions' collects eight issues, so the series will run to seven volumes with 1-3 already out and 4 coming in January. They're a pretty reasonable twenty quid each on Amazon.

(The whole thing was fully funded on Kickstarter, so Boom will definitely be releasing the complete set.)

Thanks for a lovely review, there, Colin. After fifteen years and somewhere north of 75,000 pages professionally lettered, Giant Days remains the favourite thing I've ever worked on — it's not just that the book is very funny, but it's also wise and kind.

I lettered about a thousand pages of Max Sarin's artwork in the course of doing Giant Days and every single one held something that brought me genuine joy. Max is, IMO, an absolute genius.

For anyone who missed them, John and Max also teamed up for Wicked Things from Boom, a murder mystery starring a grown-up Lottie Grote (who pops up in Giant Days a couple of times), and The Great British Bump-Off from Dark Horse... all about sinister shenanigans going on during the filming of a well-loved British TV show, "UK Bakery Tent", which in no way resembles the Great British Bake-Off.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 November, 2023, 10:47:21 AMOn the gift front, it's worth mentioning that Boom are currently releasing the whole series as a set of handsome hardcover books — each of the 'Library Editions' collects eight issues, so the series will run to seven volumes with 1-3 already out and 4 coming in January. They're a pretty reasonable twenty quid each on Amazon.

Arh damnit I keep meaning to get a nice phyiscial copy of these as I only have these digitally, to encourage the aforementioned re-read. This might have just got you a sale... how is this thread costing me money as well!?!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 November, 2023, 09:51:21 AMGreat review this Colin, really appreciate the personal reasons you have for loving (and falling out of love with) this one.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 November, 2023, 10:47:21 AMThanks for a lovely review, there, Colin. After fifteen years and somewhere north of 75,000 pages professionally lettered, Giant Days remains the favourite thing I've ever worked on — it's not just that the book is very funny, but it's also wise and kind.

I think you've mentioned this before Jim (well you defo have) and I was consious of this when writing this one. I tried not to be but failed which pervsely has turned this into my favourite one of these I've done to date (not to say best or even good!) as it gets to the personal reflection better than any others have!

Hence what Barrington very kindly said.

Barrington Boots

It's the nice hardback version of GD volume 1 that I just bought!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Le Fink

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 November, 2023, 07:42:05 AMCool and also YIKE! One of the aims of this list was to try to point folks to what I think are some of the best comics out there and its super great that folks are being turned onto things because of my yacking. That said as its so much my list and so idiosyncratic I'm also nervous when folks are actually spending their hard earned money at least in part based on things I say! Really hope you enjoy them. Do report back, glad you are enjoying Copperhead.
No worries, I'll let you know. Anything vaguely sci-fi I'm interested so I'm definitely applying a filter. How attractive I find the art also a factor.

BadlyDrawnKano

It's really interesting what you said about letterers their Colin as up until very recently I felt the same way as you did, and had never paid attention to their work that much. But I'm in the process of producing my first comic and the letterer has improved it an enormous amount, and in a number of ways (partially positioning the text in the best possible way, but also breaking it up in to separate speech bubbles to make it more effective, along with the times where they've used a different font for a specific effect), and it's given me a whole new perspective on the work they do, and has had a knock on effect while reading comics over the past few weeks and I'm much more aware of their contribution. The campaign finishes this week and I've busy few weeks ahead of me, but when the dust settles I'll start a thread about lettering, as I feel the best letterers really do improve comics in a way I've never really given them credit for in the past.

Tomwe

I'm currently on the Giant Days re-read myself thanks to the Library Editions. I have them all preordered via FP where they can be got for more like £16, though you have to factor postage too.