Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I agree. And note that those arguing against having her death twinned with a political message are usually making a political message themselves in doing so.

Her life was based around helping others and she was pro-remain. Honouring her includes these things, not eradicating them from her history.

Professor Bear

It's fine to campaign for the causes Cox supported and to do so in her memory, but doing it before she's cold does seem a bit opportunistic, and opens the door to her memory being hijacked by sections of the media: there's a few Guardian columns written within hours of Cox's murder that ascribe the act to anyone who supports Leave for any reason, and for good measure ties it all into the paper's (largely fictional) "investigations" into internet trolling.

IndigoPrime

I disagree. When acts like this happen is the perfect time to talk about why. Otherwise you end up in that state the US is in when a gun crime happens and they say they should talk about it later, but never do.

I haven't seen any articles ascribing the act to anyone supporting leave, but to the general atmosphere pervaded by that campaign and the media as a whole for years now. Things do not happen in isolation. People have tipping points. But I doubt anything will change, and nor, sadly, do I imagine her hopes will come to pass next week.

Michael Knight

I really feel the tragic death of that poor woman is more to do with with the murderers mental health than 'Britain first', in the same manner that attacker in Leytonstone had nothing to do with 'Islamic State' and more to do with his mental health problems. The media make me absolutely sick the way in which they hijack these tragic events to sell stories and create more fear and hurt than already has been caused. 
Obviously both these individuals political beliefs were a factor but more of a catalyst than anything else.

Professor Bear

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 June, 2016, 02:52:12 PM
I disagree. When acts like this happen is the perfect time to talk about why.

I don't have a problem with talking about why a murder happened, I just have a problem with rushing to use that murder as a justification for a particular political viewpoint.

Michael Knight

couldn't agree more mate

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 June, 2016, 11:42:19 PM

I don't have a problem with talking about why a murder happened, I just have a problem with rushing to use that murder as a justification for a particular political viewpoint.

Hear, hear.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

A desperatly sad loss. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 June, 2016, 12:16:01 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 June, 2016, 11:42:19 PM

Hear, hear.

Really? I'm surprised to see such a comment from someone who regularly uses human tragedy as a springboard for their ideology.
You may quote me on that.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 June, 2016, 02:52:12 PM

I haven't seen any articles ascribing the act to anyone supporting leave, but to the general atmosphere pervaded by that campaign and the media as a whole for years now.

I've backed off from reading a lot of what is being said since reading Toynbee's article this week about how we need to respect politicians more. Part of me is unsurprised.  We have a broken political system that is increasingly disenfranchising the population.  Granted you can vote but for what?  There seems to be a complete refusal to acknowledge how divorced from life and experience politicians now are. 

So many in this country are now in unstable employment, dire or challenging circumstances or worrying about what is coming next.  Yet all that seems to matter is that City of London is okay.  Is this event some indication of the underlying fears and tensions in Britain today?  Maybe it is too much to ascribe a generalisation to a single act  but at the same time I do wonder.  It's not just this campaign but the whole of our political discourse that seems so aggressively negative to me. 

IndigoPrime

In a sense, this is why the 'democracy' angle regarding the EU is a red herring. Really, the people being most screwed when it comes to democracy are the English outside of London. Really, we need wholesale political reform at the very least, from local council level through to both chambers. If the Lords was a regional senate, that would be a start. If there were no safe seats, that would be a start. But there's no political will from the big two (bar Labour flirting with a watered-down version of Green/Lib suggestions for the Lords), and so it's hard to see what will change.

Tjm86

Not just the English but I take your point.  I would also suggest that there are quite a few in London that are excluded in this process as well.

Unfortunately the reform that we are getting with the changes to boundaries are more likely to entrench safe seats.  As you say, there is no political will since both of the big two parties are two afraid to take those risks.

What will change?  Pretty much nothing.  I'm willing to bet that before the week is out any talk of moderating political discourse will  have died out.  Sorry but I have no faith in the political classes in this country any more.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 June, 2016, 10:44:58 AM
In a sense, this is why the 'democracy' angle regarding the EU is a red herring. Really, the people being most screwed when it comes to democracy are the English outside of London. Really, we need wholesale political reform at the very least

I have a feeling that — however the referendum shakes out — future commentators may point to these last couple of years as the end of the two-party system as we know it. The euro-phobic right wing of the Tories is unlikely to go back into its box in the event of anything other than a crushing defeat* and are far more in tune with the mood of their grass roots party than the majority of their MPs; the Blairite right of the Labour party are apparently unwilling to cooperate in the sensible running of their party, despite being massively out of step with the rank and file.

Meanwhile, strange things are happening in grass roots politics — Corbyn has energised Labour membership, while card-carrying Tories are a dying breed. In my town council elections (we were gerrymandered out of Ken Clarke's constituency a few years ago, but this place is as blue as you could imagine), all the local councillors resigned from their political parties (Conservative and LibDem) and stood as independents. They were all re-elected over the candidates their former parties put up.

Strange days...

Jim

*Which looks pretty unlikely. Can you imagine their fury if they get a win, but can't get a vote to invoke Article 50 through parliament?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Michael Knight

Guy Fawkes was one of the few people to enter parliament with honest intentions!  :lol:

Tjm86

I get your point Jim.  There seems a massive disconnect between the PLP and the rest of the Labour movement.  There's a sense in which they think that those that supported Corbyn are either trouble makers who joined to implode the party or muppets who haven't a clue.  Not good.