Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

One thing about Brexit is that it may have crippled the TTIP, as the UK was one of its staunchest advocates. Now, with France, Germany and Austria showing opposition and neither Trump nor Clinton in favour of it, the TTIP may finally be dead.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

TTIP was screwed anyway, and now it's on life support at best. Why? Because British Tories were some of TTIP's strongest advocates. So now what happens? We probably try for a deal with the US ourselves, but as an economy a fraction the size of the EU's. That is not going to end well for us, not least when rampant Tories will be gleefully "free of red tape" (i.e. regulations).

The Legendary Shark

I don't think size matters much. So long as the UK can trade with the USA at proportionate levels, who cares? There's no point trying to take a bigger percentage than we need. The danger, one of the dangers, is that Washington and London will negotiate a deal that makes the TTIP look good to Europe. This may be good for the UK, giving it deals and concessions better than it would have got as part of the EU to sugar the pill, but bad for our neighbours on the continent.

Although I am against the very idea of free trade deals (free trade means just that, not regulated trade), it will - in theory at least - be easier for the British people to scrutinise and influence any local deals than deals made by faceless bureaucrats hidden away in Brussels. It brings any "government" dealings one step closer to the people they are meant to serve, which is a good thing in my view.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

COMMANDO FORCES

Just for clarity that there are always two sides to the story

UK's Service Sector Grows

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 September, 2016, 06:14:48 PM
I don't think size matters much. So long as the UK can trade with the USA at proportionate levels, who cares?
It matters because of leverage. The smaller parties always get crapped on in these deals. The UK's about to find out just how small it is compared to the US, China, Japan and the EU.

The Legendary Shark

Small has its advantages. One nation is able to react quicker, reach agreements and compromises more easily and maneuver with greater freedom. Larger blocs are more cumbersome, more prone to competitive in-fighting and require the consent of all members to make a decision.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 September, 2016, 08:44:53 PMOne nation is able to react quicker, reach agreements and compromises more easily
Reach compromises is the problem. Look at this just from the view of the NHS or food and doing a deal with the USA. They're, respectively, likely going to want full access for private heath and a reduction in UK standards to US levels. We can either push back (but have no leverage and will therefore not get a deal) or compromise. The US won't be doing any compromises though, in the same way massive corporates don't tend to compromise when buying out tiny indies.

Meanwhile, Ryanair is the latest company to say "fuck the UK", stating it will base all 50 of its new planes elsewhere.

Zarjazzer

Is that preening cock of a boss at Ryan air going with the planes? Strange how all these supposed lefties are now worrying about capitalist pigs and their movements.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

IndigoPrime

Supposed lefties care about the ramifications for the economy when companies are upping sticks and entire countries are making threats.

GordonR

And, just this week, EasyJet announced they're moving their entire fleet maintenance operations - which were mostly based in the UK - to Malta.

Brexit specifically reported as a reason for the relocation.

Still, the devalued pound and extra tourist income, eh?!

TordelBack

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 07 September, 2016, 10:29:52 PM
Is that preening cock of a boss at Ryan air going with the planes?

Preening cock he may be (or publicity genius, your call), but before he showed up it used to cost several hundred pounds to fly Dublin to London. Life for those if us with the need to make that journey often was a succession of hideous 12+ hour ferry and coach journeys that still cost more than a return flight booked a few weeks in advance does 25 years later.

Michael Knight

Agreed Tordelback. Having uncovered a few tickets from Brit cit to Emerald Isle from when i a lad recently i know what you mean.
For all the criticism they get i always find Ryanair staff to be nothing but polite and helpful. Certainly more cheerful than some of the staff at my local supermarket anyways.  :lol:

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 September, 2016, 09:21:50 PM
The US won't be doing any compromises though, in the same way massive corporates don't tend to compromise when buying out tiny indies.

... and the truth of that statement is evidenced in our extradition treaty.  The success rate for US requests compared to UK requests is disturbing and has been for decades.

The Legendary Shark

You're right, I.P., everything is shit, there's no hope, we're all doomed.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

"Lefties"

Why don't we go around saying "Righties"?

Because it would be bloody childish and sound incredibly silly.