Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 15 February, 2012, 05:35:59 PM
let's see how the first Movie does before we start writing the sequels.

I've almost finished writing mine.

Stan

At the end of it all, reaction to the first film will largely determine how far they could go with a character like Death. If it's well recieved then they'll have a built-in audience who're at least partially aware of the character and pre-conditioned to accept the more wackier elements that come with him. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the number one villain on people's lips and I can't see there being much danger of jumping the shark.

Stan

What frustrates me about movies sometimes are the wasted opportunities. I'm sure there are many people who would kill to have villains like the dark judges to play around with.

Not that some changes don't work for the better. It's just a little irritating when something unique gets watered down beyond all recognition.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Stan on 15 February, 2012, 06:47:51 PM
It's just a little irritating when something unique gets watered down beyond all recognition.

Its really just to appeal to a larger audience than the niche that still dwells in mothers basements. $$$$$$
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Gonk

Quote from: Goaty on 15 February, 2012, 03:37:49 PM
Honest, the Dredd film aimed for a darker and more realistic tone, with humanity and realism being the basis of the film, with Mega-City in Cursed Earth. Better for film if stick to realistic, and give it very interesting. Just leave the Sci-fi, Aliens, fantasy to the comics.

Yes. I think it will be an interesting take on Dredd, without the off the wall, avant garde, comic strip thrills. Looking forward to it.

Quote from: Lee Bates on 15 February, 2012, 04:58:28 PM
I'm still holding out for a sequel featuring Karl Heinz Pilchards-in-Tomato-Sauce Clayderman.
LMAO!! and what a sequel that would make![/quote]

Who'd write the film score for it though? Andrew Lloydd Webber? :D
coming at a cinema near you soon

darnmarr

Wow! Saucer of cream for table Michealvk!

Failure in life and obsession with a fictional character may often be found together, but they are by no means siamese twins. I cant speak for other Dredd obsessives, but I thought that the thing, perhaps the only thing, that we people on this here board got in common is a fascination and familiarity with these stories, these stories that in our childish imaginations were imprinted with a colour and depth that create an extra level of investment, an extra attachment to the hopes, fears and expectations of the upcoming film, ( that you worked on ) because the last celluloid outing was, for us, as someone on ecbt2000ad put it: "Like waking up on Christmas morning to find a Santa-suit with your father's corpse in it..."

I know I'm part of a niche, but I'm sure that most of this niche dwell overground: they're just a bit more into Judge Dredd than is explainable to those what aintsomuch.

I'm very greatful for your input, and if I took you up wrong,- I apologise.

Pete Wells

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 15 February, 2012, 04:50:19 PM
The terror angle would work better.

Midnight Surfer and Total War or America mixture would be cool.
Chopper as the face of freedom with Dredd as his polar opposite and Total War going nuts in the middle causing all sorts of shit to the back drop of Supersurf 7.

Now that's the film I want to see! I don't want Judge Death for the reasons many have stated and I certainly don't want a corrupt/crazy chief judge (again.) Taking Dredd away from the justice dept always seems a  bit lazy to me, it's like some execs sit in an office and say:

Exec 1: "So, whut's this Dredd fella's motivation, what makes him tick?"
Exec 2: "The law, I think..."
Exec 1: "Well whuf if... That was all taken offa him..."

I like that the first film seems quite procedural and is focussing on one particular kind of futuristic crime. Good sci-fi doesn't always have to be too out there.

Grimmyx22

Judge Death, hmmm. The outstanding element in the original Death stories was the fantastic interpretations of Mr Bolland. All subsequent tales have lacked the impact of the first two. Death as a character and concept seems to me to have worked so well simply as an outlandish branching off of the main thread of Dredd stories up until that date. A breath of fresh (foetid?) air from the norm. He has always been a very unlikely addition to the Dreddiverse and in my 'umble should be left WELL alone regards a movie version of mega city one. So much of the social and political examination of our future society has yet to be explored and to my mind provide a much more fruitfull and relevant storehouse of ideas than a simple 'anti-Dredd' character. Dredd has always seemed to me very much a cautionary tale regarding the forward-march of our own society. This seems to me to be the most logical and fertile territory for future Dredd movies. (Assuming we get so lucky).

PreacherCain

I have no real interest in seeing Bizarro Dredd on screen.

But Supersurf?!!? Oh by grud, yes please! 

That might actually make the 3D somewhat bearable  :D

bigjobs67

No hints as to what might come next @ the end of the leaked script?
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Stan

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 February, 2012, 07:04:38 PM
Quote from: Stan on 15 February, 2012, 06:47:51 PM
It's just a little irritating when something unique gets watered down beyond all recognition.

Its really just to appeal to a larger audience than the niche that still dwells in mothers basements. $$$$$$

I'm on daylight strike until I see Necropolis transferred panel for panel to the silverscreen.

Grimmyx22

I dont want to see movie versions of comics ive read, i want new, fresh explorations of all the avenues Mr Wagner has opened up for us. Long live Dredd!

Richmond Clements

And yeah, so you do the Judge Death story... brilliant! That's the first ten minutes of the movie filled up! What's next?
The Dark Judges too? There's another hour tops, if you're lucky.

Death just isn't a strong enough or dare I say it, interesting enough, character to use in a movie.

darnmarr

Hear! Hear!It was Bolland made him beautiful.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 15 February, 2012, 05:18:40 PM
Just on the notion of America ever being filmed:

The problem with 'America' as a film is that, although it is one of the more mature stories, it is bound completely to the strengths of the medium of comics. The ambiguity (of the gender) of the narrative voice, ( which in the comic is read rather than heard) is key to the story's success. The 'reveal' is dependent upon that voice speaking to an audience in a way that is neutral: neither male nor female nor freakily in between. Despite it's maturity, I reckon that 'America', of all the Dredd stories, is the one that would transfer least well... it's also practically a musical!

It would only conflict with the story if told from the aspect of a narrator which probably wouldn't be a 'device' adopted for a Dredd film anyway, at least not throughout. The story could equally be told from a different perspective and work just as powerfully.