Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Did you feel a great disturbance in the force when Thomas Kinkade's liver gave out?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 13 April, 2012, 01:00:47 AM
and if you're offended, well  :'(...

I don't get offended, it's too whiney. I never said I was liberal, if you want you could point out where I said that.

You posted: "I'm an unapologetically right-wing Christian evangelical Zionist social and economic conservative with libertarian leanings" and if that's not a statement of one's political dick I don't know what is. I tolerate the fact you can post that statement so maybe, if you feel like it, you could tolerate my opinion that I find it a mass of contradictions. Simple as. No offence but take it on the chin.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 13 April, 2012, 01:05:39 AM
Did you feel a great disturbance in the force when Thomas Kinkade's liver gave out?

I had never even heard of that gentleman until you mentioned him here, so I'm not sure what you're getting at...

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 April, 2012, 01:18:31 AM
I don't get offended, it's too whiney. I never said I was liberal, if you want you could point out where I said that.
You posted: "I'm an unapologetically right-wing Christian evangelical Zionist social and economic conservative with libertarian leanings" and if that's not a statement of one's political dick I don't know what is. I tolerate the fact you can post that statement so maybe, if you feel like it, you could tolerate my opinion that I find it a mass of contradictions. Simple as. No offence but take it on the chin.

I never stated you WERE a liberal, Joe dude, I merely stated it's only after I happen to express my own personal socio-religio-political viewpoints on this thread and others, that the derogatory and derisory comments start flying, and as far as my "...unapologetically..." post goes, I was only stating my own personal viewpoint in the same way others had before me, I more than tolerate dissenting opinions, I actively encourage them, the more the merrier, it's the seemingly inbuilt condescension and knee-jerk visceral reaction from some that occurs once you actually express said views that I was talking about, but whatever...

I'm done with this subject now, back to Dredd... now would be a very good time for the trailer, methinks!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

clavell

Calm down, you two.

Now, who knows how they're going to do those flashes on Dredd's - and the other Judges' - helmet visors ? After the cross-piece on the nose, and the respirator "badge", they're part of the signature of Dredd's look, so they ahve to be there, right ?

- C
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 10 April, 2012, 02:46:01 AM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 10 April, 2012, 01:07:27 AM
2003 called and it wants its website back.

I don't get it...

Quote from: A.Cow on 10 April, 2012, 02:09:24 AM
Yes, I always find that pre-Industrial Revolution, slave-owning, dead US Presidents provide tremendous insight into the social & political issues of the 21st Century.

It's not specific issues that I quoted Jefferson about, it was certain broadstroke truths he espoused that have relevance to this day (the dangers of a central bank, pitfalls of foreign intervention, the primacy of individual liberty, the dangers of an unelected-therefore-unaccountable judiciary acting as proxy legislators, etc) and as far as owning slaves goes, it was just the mindset back then, and the U.S. Founding Fathers had very real reservations about the issue of slavery, which is why the three-fifths clause was inserted in the Constitution, to limit the influence and over-representation of slave states in Congress relative to their population demographics... and I would take Jefferson or any of the Founders over ANY Euro-trash leader any day of the week and twice on Sundays, never has a more enlightened group of scholarly, learned, and genuinely wise men ever been involved in the founding a nation state, period!

Whoooaahh Beaky have you been at the lemonade WTF.Please have a seat I have bad news , first God doesn't exist.I know you believe you have firm evidence from the talking snake and folk who wrote the gospels decades after the event but put a bit a thought into what you believe.Lets discount the 'anomalies' like the Earth is only a few thousand years old,God is a man ??, Moses was hundreds of years old (I won't bring Methusalah up), the inbreeding required from Adam and Eve, Jonah living in a fish,the Dinosaurs , the Ten Commandments that focus heavily on God (not, dont torture, rape, molest children  etc etc etc), the dire warnings to believe 'or else', the wierd contradiction of Hell (the bad guy punishes bad guys??) the wierd God sent himself on a suicide mission saga, the repudiation of evolution-I could go on but I won't.Lets also discount the fact that modern man ie homo sapien sapien existed for literally hundreds of thousands of years before Christ showed up, or that millions upon millions of humans have lived and died even after Christianity completely unaware of it.Lets just look at the pure fact that humans have a rational mind and what you believe makes no sense, so.........(for the sake of argument) come the Pearly Gates everyone can just say 'you expected us to believe THAT oh come on??Before you dismiss this argument look at the tenets of Scientology or Mormonism  which are even more bizarre and how many followers they have (simply believe doesn't cut it)

Next you diss all Euro leaders as trash -well to be fair you have a point there are a fair few in that catergory.Yet its the Greeks that came up with Democracy and us poor Brits that came up with Paliamentary democracy, so really you do owe us big time.As for the founding fathers -'slavery was a 'mindset', oh please, they had a choice like anyone else.Last piece of bad news -most of your 'founding fathers were ATHEISTS and some hated Christianity.

Benjamin Franklin 'Lighthouses are more useful than churches'

Wise men as you say.

Right wing Christian Zionists are ,in my view a huge threat to World security.Correct me if I'm wrong but the Zionist bit refers to the biblical prediction that the 'end times' will come with the fall of the temple mount  and the battle of Meggido which necessitates the existence of the state of Israel.Basically this gives unqualified support to Isreal from US Christian conservatives which undermines Middle East peace as witnessed over the last 60 years.

I still think you're a good bloke Beaky ,this is just a retort to something you brought up (can you tell it's a pet hate of mine  :lol:).

blackmocco

I liked this thread way more when we were discussing Dredd.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

TordelBack

Curse you Sherman Kid, with a single post you've completely shattered my world view.  Now I'm fightin' with Beaky Smoochies block!   

This isn't the place for this sort of thing.

Noisybast

Holy shit - I just read on the internet that they're making a film of Judge Dredd!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Danbo

So,lawmaster..... Wonder if he will use its bike cannons?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 April, 2012, 12:57:52 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 12 April, 2012, 12:16:22 PM

[spoiler]Both films are about law enforcers fighting their way through a load of gangsters, advancing up the levels of a city block towards a confrontation with the gang boss.[/spoiler]

It's closer than that: [spoiler]both films are about elite law enforcers ascending a city block that contains a drug factory and a drug Baron that must be taken down.[/spoiler]

Yeah, no, still don't see a problem. Lucky me.

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 12 April, 2012, 11:13:25 AMTHE RAID appears to be very Martial Arts orientated type of pic, Bruce Lee with machine guns.

DREDD should have enough that's different about it, a Futuristic Action thriller rather than a contemporary Cops vs Robbers story to distinguish it on it's own.

That's what I'm thinking too.

Dredd has a huge story/fantastical world behind it and I'm itching to see how they realise it. I love action movies, nothing wrong with whambamthankyoumam flick with action and not much else and I'm sure I'll enjoy the Raid, but in Dredd's case, we get the whole shebang, story and setting and characters and action galore. Awesomecakes :)

Spaceghost

Right wing Christian zionists are the closest thing there is to pure evil. They want to stifle, trample, control, enforce, destroy and crush. Fuck them and their simplistic, harmful beliefs.

More importantly, [spoiler]yes, Dredd uses the bike cannons. He even shouts "BIKE CANNON!" if I remember rightly from reading the script.[/spoiler]
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

klute

Quote from: blackmocco on 13 April, 2012, 06:56:13 AM
I liked this thread way more when we were discussing Dredd.
Same here can we keep the religious and political stuff in the other thread?
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Angry Vince

Okay, right now I'm torn between two of my favourite things -
1. Telling people to shut the fuck up
2. Jumping feet first into an religious argument.

And.... since we're here (nominally) for Dredd, I'll call down a 'Shut The Fuck Up' for all this shit about religion and politics. Those of you who read my blog know where I stand on those things and are any and all are happy to bash my head in there.

So what happened to this big announcement that was supposed to relate to one of the crew/actors? Or was that all just a feed-line for some poor April Fools Day jokes?
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Richmond Clements

Step away from the religious arguement - or at least take it to another thread.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Lee Bates on 13 April, 2012, 10:36:07 AM
Right wing Christian zionists are the closest thing there is to pure evil. They want to stifle, trample, control, enforce, destroy and crush. Fuck them and their simplistic, harmful beliefs.

And that's a simplistic generalisation.

It's clear the extreme, radical wings of many religions/beliefs are pretty equal when it comes to evil. And I'm not talking of just the rightwing side; I'm liberal and I know damn well how ugly liberals can be. Eg I wonder if Archbishop Rowan, and other male 'leaders', would be so open to sharia if they were the ones who had to wear a burkha. Yeah, no, I don't have to wonder.

... And I was doing so well resisting getting drawn in. DREDD. FILM. DISCUSSION. Come on, now!

I saw the trailer for Looper is out, which is due in September too, so fingers crossed we shouldn't have to wait too long for Dredd's.