Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlurbaninternational

*flails* Karl and big guns!!! Yes!!! Thank you for the photos.

Goaty

To those moaners about lack of film info or trailer, please read this A.Cow post, it is perfect, and with his last comment, it very worth right!

Quote from: A.Cow on 27 May, 2012, 01:05:44 PM
Quote from: HunterZolomon on 27 May, 2012, 12:35:04 PM
It's not just about the trailer, even though a lot of people (myself included) find it strange it hasn't been released yet. [...] Where would the harm be in showing Dredd trailers during the summer blockbusters?

Er .... 'cos it costs MONEY.

Advertising is wasted if people will have forgotten it by the time the film comes out.  That's money pissed down the drain.

Other films' big advertising bucks can create a prologed, sustained run of multiple trailers and stepped promotion but it all costs $$$.  My (very quick) research suggests that on average a Hollywood movie costing $30m will typically spend a further $15m on advertising.  (And that's an average.  A lot of the $100m+ movies exceed the cost of the movie in advertising alone.)

Additionally, I'd presume there's a higher premium incurred attaching a trailer to a big movie ('cos movie distribution is a business, after all).

The lack of an official site, teaser, trailer, interviews, no press screening in Cannes, all of that is what is strange.

And who is going to pay for all that?  You think flying actors to Cannes is free?

Also, do you think that the average punter is going to notice?  Walk down the street, stop somebody and ask them to name three movies shown at Cannes that they've heard about in the press.  (Certainly in the UK, a handful would say the Kylie Minogue thing and that's about it.)  Press screenings only generate buzz for blockbusters or films that would otherwise be ignored.

It is after all the comic book audience they're aiming for. A very internet savvy group who go to see the comic book movie summer blockbusters.

Why waste money targetting a very small demographic group of comic book fans?  You're talking around 0.05% of the population.  (UK comics sales max 20k of 60m population; US comics sales max 150k of 370m population).  Especially a group that fails to evangelise your product, preferring instead to gripe about continuity errors.

Quote from: dracula1 on 27 May, 2012, 12:51:05 PM
Minty is a good example of revealing with confidence your creative ability with good positive feedback as a result.

And it's left this punter pissed-off with having to wait for the final product to appear.  That's negative publicity in the long run.

I'm guessing that the DR3DDTM promotion will come in a short, sharp shock when the time is right for maximum efficiency with a small budget, which is probably around 2-3 weeks before release.

dracula1

Well the short Sharpe shock tactic of promoting the movie better capture the attention of the big buck cinema goers in the US otherwise this  will bomb badly.  Two to three weeks is laughable.  Cinema goers will still be discussing the big events of the summer block busters to notice this short Sharpe promo campaign.

PreacherCain

It's still 3 1/2 months away. Calm down, people.

They're not actually sticking to calling it DR3DD are they?! Awful idea if so. Dredd is Dredd.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: dracula1 on 27 May, 2012, 06:27:02 PM
Well the short Sharpe shock tactic of promoting the movie better capture the attention of the big buck cinema goers in the US otherwise this  will bomb badly.  Two to three weeks is laughable.  Cinema goers will still be discussing the big events of the summer block busters to notice this short Sharpe promo campaign.

What he says -but without the spelling mistakes  :) ;)

PreacherCain

I'll wager they're going to really kick things off around the time of the next Batman film's release. My wagering has gone really well so far.

It's great that they actually addressed most of Wagner's concerns too. I wonder if Ezquerra has seen it? :)

Michaelvk

While, yes, a theatre trailer and poster campaign costs bucketloads of money, a teaser on youtube costs nowt..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

dracula1

Michael you are once again the voice of reason on the forum and one of the big two people really in the know.

P. S.  Can l have yours and Jocks autographs. ;-)

Michaelvk

Why? The check is almost positively going to bounce..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

wadew1

All I can say is that DREDD and KILLING ME SOFTLY are the only September releases that haven't released a trailer or a teaser. And no, September isn't filled with MEGABUDGET movies. I'd also say if it's less than two months before September 21st and there isn't a trailer, be worried because the movie will probably be pushed back. Releasing your first trailer and starting your advertising with less than two months to go rarely ever happens.

Michaelvk

Movie's done.. Finished.. It's a question of duplication for distribution and marketing now. If anything the release date is the most accurate thing Wu know about it.

Michaelvk

Wu? Stoopid phone.. WE..

A.Cow

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 May, 2012, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 27 May, 2012, 01:05:44 PM
And it's left this punter pissed-off with having to wait for the final product to appear.
You're pissed off that something you're getting for free is taking too long? And you would have done it differently how? Not said a peep? Not shown anything?

Please accept my sincere apology -- I appreciate that you've put a heck of a lot of work into the project in your own time, and that we're all benefitting from it.  I wouldn't dare suggest I could do any better.

"Pissed-off" was a stupid thing to say.  "Frustrated" is more accurate, and it's a frustration borne of how-things-have-to-be, rather than anything aimed at the Minty crew personally.

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 May, 2012, 03:32:21 PM
The only reason the teaser trailer appeared when it did was because Scojo took it on himself to rob a couple of shots from my reel that I updated after I got made redundant. It forced our hand to put something official out there.

My suggestion was that a long empty gap between teaser and final product can have negative effects, which seems to be re-enforced by the fact that you didn't want to release one so early, and would have left it to a later stage if Twatjo had stayed out of things.

Anyway, sorry for sounding like a twonk.

Stan

Quote from: CraveNoir on 27 May, 2012, 04:17:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see both trailer and poster in the next couple of weeks.

Paul Hampshire was Karl Urban's stunt double during filming. The photos here are new to most people as the high res versions have been inaccessible until a few days ago... as was most of the site!

http://www.paulhampshire.com/2011/06/09/judge-dredd-2011/

The photos are of the weapons training (run by Dan Hirst I think), and there's a location photo taken beneath the Civic Centre which rewards careful study.
The woman is Olivia Thirlby's stunt double, Fleur van Eeden, and the man holding the sandbag is Adam Horton of Hooligan Stunts.

Thanks. I hadn't even seen the originals.

The skedway thing makes me wonder if, due to budget constraints, certain elements of the Dreddverse will be established as inexpensive nods which will then be expanded on later (or at least hoped to).

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. For all I know someone put it up there for a laugh.

Stan

Though I suppose it would look a bit bare if it's under construction.