Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: A.Cow on 28 May, 2012, 12:43:45 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 27 May, 2012, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 27 May, 2012, 01:05:44 PM
And it's left this punter pissed-off with having to wait for the final product to appear.
You're pissed off that something you're getting for free is taking too long? And you would have done it differently how? Not said a peep? Not shown anything?

Please accept my sincere apology -- I appreciate that you've put a heck of a lot of work into the project in your own time, and that we're all benefitting from it.  I wouldn't dare suggest I could do any better.

"Pissed-off" was a stupid thing to say.  "Frustrated" is more accurate, and it's a frustration borne of how-things-have-to-be, rather than anything aimed at the Minty crew personally.

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 May, 2012, 03:32:21 PM
The only reason the teaser trailer appeared when it did was because Scojo took it on himself to rob a couple of shots from my reel that I updated after I got made redundant. It forced our hand to put something official out there.

My suggestion was that a long empty gap between teaser and final product can have negative effects, which seems to be re-enforced by the fact that you didn't want to release one so early, and would have left it to a later stage if Twatjo had stayed out of things.

Anyway, sorry for sounding like a twonk.

No worries, cheers - believe me I share your frustration.

The Sherman Kid

[/quote]
Quote from: wadew1 on 28 May, 2012, 12:06:00 AM
All I can say is that DREDD and KILLING ME SOFTLY are the only September releases that haven't released a trailer or a teaser. And no, September isn't filled with MEGABUDGET movies. I'd also say if it's less than two months before September 21st and there isn't a trailer, be worried because the movie will probably be pushed back. Releasing your first trailer and starting your advertising with less than two months to go rarely ever happens.
Quote from: Michaelvk on 28 May, 2012, 12:25:47 AM
Movie's done.. Finished.. It's a question of duplication for distribution and marketing now. If anything the release date is the most accurate thing Wu know about it.

Release date is Sept 7th  :P

a chosen rider

Quote from: Michaelvk on 27 May, 2012, 08:08:09 PM
While, yes, a theatre trailer and poster campaign costs bucketloads of money, a teaser on youtube costs nowt..

Well, that's not true, they've got to pay a licence fee for any music they use in the trailer (or pay the costs for the music if they're using original score to duck paying a licensing fee).  And unless the internet teaser is identical to the theatre trailer - which, as A. Cow says, can actually have a negative effect if it's released too early and then no new material comes out for months and months - there are going to be additional production costs of paying someone to edit it, produce the ad copy, and the fee for the voiceover.

Just because sites like Youtube and Facebook are free to upload to does not mean a professional for-profit company can put material up on them without having to pay everybody involved for their time and the rights to use their work.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

a chosen rider

...And I belatedly realise I'm talking to somebody who was involved in the production and probably knows more than me, so perhaps I am completely misinformed about how these things are handled. :lol:  I guess as a freelancer I am just automatically deeply suspicious of the idea that any sort of marketing work 'costs nothing'.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Bubba Zebill

photo taken beneath the Civic Centre which rewards careful study.
[/quote]

'Sked Way Construction'
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

wadew1

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 28 May, 2012, 09:44:10 AM

Quote from: wadew1 on 28 May, 2012, 12:06:00 AM
All I can say is that DREDD and KILLING ME SOFTLY are the only September releases that haven't released a trailer or a teaser. And no, September isn't filled with MEGABUDGET movies. I'd also say if it's less than two months before September 21st and there isn't a trailer, be worried because the movie will probably be pushed back. Releasing your first trailer and starting your advertising with less than two months to go rarely ever happens.
Quote from: Michaelvk on 28 May, 2012, 12:25:47 AM
Movie's done.. Finished.. It's a question of duplication for distribution and marketing now. If anything the release date is the most accurate thing Wu know about it.

Release date is Sept 7th  :P
[/quote]

I forgot that it's being released in the UK a couple of weeks before everyone else.
The 21st is the release date in the US.

opaque

Spending money on trailers/publicity etc costs money but how much would it cost to give 2000ad (online and print) a few photos or an interview? Look at how some of us felt when the Dark Judges pictures were slowly released, I'm thinking along those lines really. If you had a bit of publicity to those who are ALREADY interested it would surely have little or no cost and would keep it bubbling along nicely until the end of August when they release more general publicity for the uninformed public.

I'm looking fowards to it, just hope it gets a decent amount of time in the cinema as well, so many films seem to come and then go in just a couple of days. Mind you if it is good I have my Cineworld Unlimited card and intent to make the most of it!

Bat King

I'm really looking forward to Judge Minty by the way...  everything I've seen so far is excellent, wish I'd known about the call for volunteer extras at the time...  I'd not need much make-up to be a mutie!!!

I've stopped looking at Minty a bit ago to avoid spoilers.

I am starting to think I'm in a minority in just how much I like not knowing what will happen in films (books, comics, etc).  Clearly the average TV viewer wants to know everything in advance, or there wouldn't be a gazillion TV mags that do just that 'A murdered next week!!!' but if I cared about A I'd prefer being shocked that A was murdered, not look forward to it for a week...

I also see Planet Replicas as a sort of traler for Minty even though they are a by-product post Minty... So each time I see a pic of Lauren in her uniform I think of Minty... yeah, who am I kidding with that one? But you get my meaning, the one I meant as in I look forward to seeing Minty due to how great the Planet Replica stuff looks - even Judge Burdis gives me tingles of anticipation.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Spaceghost

Quote from: Dark Bat King on 28 May, 2012, 01:55:48 PM
Judge Burdis gives me tingles

If he starts to give you tingles while he's in his red Zardoz pants, start to worry...
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

shaolin_monkey

He has Zardoz pants?!?  Legend!

James Stacey

TordelBack

darnmarr

From JDMN:
One (2nd-hand) tweet, post-Cannes, probably referring to The Wagner Quibble;

Robbie Collin ‏@robbiereviews

Heard some early word on the new JUDGE DREDD film from a secret Cannes market screening. Apparently it "doesn't look very expensive".

[/size]

Well that screening was for investors, so maybe they have a vested interest in whether they can see their money, rather than if the film an engaging story told well...

darnmarr

is an engaging story told well!

Editfunctionmuttergrumble

IndigoPrime

Well, it isn't that expensive in the scheme of things.