as long as it looks as futuristic as Logan's Run I'm happy

Diminished Responsibility

Oh god the embarrasment, been playing too much Diablo.... :( sob
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 15 June, 2012, 01:50:44 PM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 June, 2012, 01:39:04 PM
context, people..
Well we can only talk about what we know, and we don't know very much.
Just reassure me that it's not gonna look like 'Soylent Green' and I'll be fine ;)

If it's a film as good as Soylent Green I'll be happy.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 15 June, 2012, 01:33:06 PM
Dredd and Anderson look fabbo, but I have to confess I'm a little underwhelmed by this Mega-City mufti; it makes even the toned-down practical version of Dredd's 'garb of Justice' seem kinda eccentric to me in comparison.

Dredd and the Judges always stood out from the citizens, it's part of the point.

darnmarr

I'm quite fond of Soylent Green meself; just not crazy about the art departments work on it.
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 June, 2012, 02:46:48 PM
Dredd and the Judges always stood out from the citizens, it's part of the point.
But they did all seem to co-exist in the same, visually heightened, ubiquitous knee-pad, culture.
If everyone is in standard modern civvies 'cept the Judges... it's harder to see them 'belonging'.
As MichealVk indicated, context shall probably clear this up - but just from those pics; the Mega-city mufti seems disappointing to me.
Surely I'm not alone in this?

Michaelvk

I can guarantee you that if you're watching the movie, the scene's action and composition will make sure that the last thing you'll be looking at is the extras.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

No, I made a similar point.

As a guess the makers might argue that as with riot cops today, the average person in the street doesn't wear kneepads to match them.

I'd have to see it in context, but I totally get the argument that if you have someone in contemporary clothes, judges are going to look a little odd in comparison, particularly with a comic faithful helmet.

darnmarr

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 June, 2012, 03:21:18 PM
I can guarantee you that if you're watching the movie, the scene's action and composition will make sure that the last thing you'll be looking at is the extras.
Good point,crowd scenes in the comics were always static, giving us time to pore over sumptious sartorial detail.

darnmarr

Quote from: Steve Green on 15 June, 2012, 03:23:37 PM
...you have someone in contemporary clothes, judges are going to look a little odd in comparison, particularly with a comic faithful helmet.
It is also the helmet that I found 'jarred' my eye a little, still...here's hoping that, in context, it shant be an issue.

Stan

That's a great shot of the Karlmeister. I'd say the new gear completely works but it looks slightly less impressive on Anderson. Just one of those things I suppose.

HunterZolomon

Hm, I don't know about those extras, if they indeed are extras. They really do look very, very normal and contemporary. Surely creating a certain style of fashion for MC-1 citizens wouldn't need a huge budget, just some imagination and ingenuity.

Karl and Olivia look awesome fortunately. There is a point in making judges stand out, just like Steve mentions in his post about modern riot cops. I just hope they don't look out of place in the finished film.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Diminished Responsibility on 15 June, 2012, 02:00:07 PM
Deckard Cain

Doesn't look too sci-fi there, and Blade Runner is regarded as one of the best visualizations of near future America.

You mean Rick Deckard - Deckard Cain is a character in the Diablo games!

-- Mike

JOE SOAP

Well if MickVK -who worked on the shoot- has more or less implied 'context' in terms of the fashion presented by the background extras in the picture, I think we can more or less take it as a given that this is the style of the film and trust that it works. I haven't seen a valid argument that says that it won't.

If RoboCop didn't look totally out of place in his plated futuristic cyborg armour amongst the Dolce & Gabbana suits and hoodies of near-future Detroit, I don't see why the baroque lookin' Judges in their not so futuristic uniforms should.

Danbo

Re the clothes....so what? Levis are still worn today and they have been around since 1853,hoodies were around in the 30's.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Goaty

Let me get it, sorry for my poor grammar, but loads of debates on this thread is moans about the bike? the lack of eagle? The helmet too big? The van in 2 secs UNTESTED footage? Lack of trailer? and now those crews or extras clothes? come on, DanboJohnJ is right, about Levis, what clothes you expect? As people riches in Mega-Cities to get future clothes or kept it realistic as it can, as with many photos and poster, it looks sooo awesome, and for me, I will see the film at cinema in September no matters what. Cant wait!