Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Wait'll Scojo gets a hold of this.

dancornwell

I can't wait for this film, although I will have some doubts about the vehicles. Seeing as Dredd entered service in 2079 or so and from what's been shown their justice dept vehicles are Toyota hilux. I know top gear said they are indistructable but come on. 60 years in the future cars have not changed? Or have they set the date of this film earlier? Basicaly changed dredds history. I know mr Wagner has some problems with this too, I wonder what they responded to him?

dancornwell

Also the fashions haven't changed. Jeans hoods and t-shirts. Still.....can't wait.

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 June, 2012, 04:29:47 PM

Oy vey! Haha!

It's just a tiny niggle. Probably completely unnoticeable in the finished scene especially if the camera's moving and for all I know, this is common in all these movies. I know in animation we cheat this stuff all the time for the sake of having something look cool at the expense of technical correct-ness.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

darnmarr

Quote from: dancornwell on 16 June, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
... I will have some doubts about the vehicles. Seeing as Dredd entered service in 2079 or so and from what's been shown their justice dept vehicles are Toyota hilux. I know top gear said they are indistructable but come on. 60 years in the future cars have not changed? Or have they set the date of this film earlier? Basicaly changed dredds history...
I reckon they just set out to make the very best film they could with the relatively tiny budget they had. Not an exact recreation of the strip: something that will work on cohesively on its own merits: the smart approach in other words.

Frank

Quote from: blackmocco on 16 June, 2012, 04:22:11 PM
Couple of explanantions: The building's lobby's walls are slightly angled? Feel like this is unlikely as the shuttered door to Dredd's left follows the same angle as the entrance. The cityscape in the background is actually just concept art, not a finished shot from the movie?

Forced perspective, as seen in The Last Supper; that and camera lenses distort images. Take a ruler to your TV screen and see if any of the vertical lines are flush.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 16 June, 2012, 05:17:05 PM
Forced perspective, as seen in The Last Supper; that and camera lenses distort images. Take a ruler to your TV screen and see if any of the vertical lines are flush.

Camera lens distortion wouldn't occur as straight vertical lines. They'd be curved.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: dancornwell on 16 June, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
I can't wait for this film, although I will have some doubts about the vehicles. Seeing as Dredd entered service in 2079 or so and from what's been shown their justice dept vehicles are Toyota hilux. I know top gear said they are indistructable but come on. 60 years in the future cars have not changed? Or have they set the date of this film earlier? Basicaly changed dredds history. I know mr Wagner has some problems with this too, I wonder what they responded to him?

There's no date set in the film.

blackmocco

Quote from: bikini kill on 16 June, 2012, 05:17:05 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 16 June, 2012, 04:22:11 PM
Couple of explanantions: The building's lobby's walls are slightly angled? Feel like this is unlikely as the shuttered door to Dredd's left follows the same angle as the entrance. The cityscape in the background is actually just concept art, not a finished shot from the movie?

Yeah, but even with forced perspective vanishing points have to match all the elements in the shot. The buildings in the background are a straight up-and down whereas the building Dredd's exiting is not. The most likely explanation for me looking at the shot is that the fx guys didn't take the live-action shot's angle into consideration when they placed the two elements together. Anyway, like I said, just a tiny niggle...

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Bubba Zebill

I saw that but I don't think there's any point in picking on the perspective. Perspective systems are a means to create the illusion of depth on flat surfaces, but it doesn't always look right or coorespondents with reality. Secondly, as this is a dramatic production they will be using a kind of accelerated perspective, as in stagecraft, this intensifies the depth. Vertical lines that tend toward the edges of a camera are lens warped. Sometimes you have to do it wrong for it to look right. I've heard it said the vertical lines on the grill of the Rolls Royce are not true 90 degrees, but slightly off for this reason. Beyond that, your own eye warps the world. Leonardo Da Vinci realized this and developed the curvelinear perspective system, nobody uses it, but it is supposedly more 'correct' to the eye.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Michaelvk

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 June, 2012, 04:29:47 PM

I'll happily have a quiet word about it with him..  ;)
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Michaelvk

Quote from: dancornwell on 16 June, 2012, 04:49:38 PMI know mr Wagner has some problems with this too, I wonder what they responded to him?

..can we borrow a few quid to fix it?
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

blackmocco

This is the shot as is:

Forgive the crudeness of some hastily produced Photoshop but here's something close to the proper perspective for the cityscape:

I agree with all your points Booda. This stuff is cheated all the time.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Radbacker

the midget Judge on the lefty cracks meup.

Cu Radbacker

Bubba Zebill

...and many who've claimed the moon-landings were faked based their 'theories' on seeming perspective anomalies from lunar photography, in each case failing to see we don't live in a straight-line universe.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105