Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waltev

Quote from: brendan1 on 27 June, 2012, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 27 June, 2012, 03:18:12 PM
Quote from: Mike Carroll on 27 June, 2012, 01:19:22 PM
Hmm... The first entry in the Empireonline list strongly indicates that the writer has no understanding of Dredd and I'm guessing she's never read a single Dredd story:
Quote"...he's a ruthless, murderous bastard."

-- Mike

Tell that to East-Meg One...

They fucking well deserved it. East-Meg scum.

Or Mega-City Two, Sino-City One, South-Am City,  Rio de Janeiro and Djakarta - Indonesia...  ;)

Goaty

And parallel Hippy Earth. 

JOE SOAP

Stan

That's actually one of the major stories I never read. I'll have to keep an eye out next week. Poor hippehs.

Stan

Though I imagine Death would've found them sooner or later.

Cactus

Quote from: Goaty on 27 June, 2012, 03:28:50 PM
And parallel Hippy Earth.

Surely that's the Sovs' fault for building the Apocalypse Warp, regardless of who launched the dimension-hopping nukes?

That's a pretty good write-up from Empire overall, and has tempted me into buying the mag for more pictures to cut out and put on the walls of my hab.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

COMMANDO FORCES

Dredd is good, criminals are bad!
It really is that simple and if you think differently then what have you got to hide you perp?

JOE SOAP

And the reason why it's called Peach Trees is because that was the name of the cafe Garland & McDonald first met Wagner. Should be a sit-com.

CraveNoir

Quote from: blackmocco on 26 June, 2012, 05:46:38 PM
Quote from: strontium71 on 26 June, 2012, 05:40:08 PM
Just had a thought - in the trailer there are what looks like three captives with Ma-ma? I presume its them that end up falling down the shaft in the middle. If they were doped up on Slo-mo , what must it feel like to be falling that distance in 1% normal time? How long would it take for them?

In their perception...? Could be hours, right...? Oy vey.

If they fall 200 floors (2000 ft/610m)... and their terminal velocity is about 122mph, and say their average speed is more like 120mph as they need time to get up to terminal velocity... then the fall takes 11.37 seconds.

Slo-Mo increases perception 10,000% (making the world move at 1% normal rate), so the fall appears to take 1137 seconds, or 18m57s... approx. 19 minutes of thinking time.

You could resonably knock a bit off and say it appears to last 1134 seconds... which would be HELL on an upside-down calculator. Also I think the storeys in the film are more like 11 feet tall... so a 12.48 second fall or 20m48s.

Let's just say it's 20 minutes!

Fisticuffs

It's a very interesting concept, for no matter how much the Perp's perception of time is adjusted, time is still passing at the same rate for him, relative to everyone around him. So would he experience the whole fall in slow motion? Would he experience the beginning of the fall in slow motion and then be cut off as his body hits the ground (ahead of his perception)? Or does this all not make sense in the slightest because it's a film and we shouldn't think too much about it?

The last one...   ;)

Stan

We don't even know if they're on Slo-Mo™. >:(

JOE SOAP

I think it's pretty clear the user would experience any activity in slo-mo otherwise what's the point?

I think the deeper philisophical question is how fast is your awareness/thinking of the experience of slo-mo? Are thought-processes slowed down or only base physicality, emotion and sensation? Does it feel like paralysis?

blackmocco

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 27 June, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
It's a very interesting concept, for no matter how much the Perp's perception of time is adjusted, time is still passing at the same rate for him, relative to everyone around him. So would he experience the whole fall in slow motion? Would he experience the beginning of the fall in slow motion and then be cut off as his body hits the ground (ahead of his perception)? Or does this all not make sense in the slightest because it's a film and we shouldn't think too much about it?

The last one...   ;)

I'd assumed he'd experience the whole fall in slow motion. It's his perception so even though it feels like twenty minutes to him, it would just pass as normal time to anyone else. Don't actually like to think what the last few minutes of the experience would be like watching the concrete inching closer...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

shaolin_monkey

Also, that shot of Dredd busting down the door and shooting the Slo-Mo addicts - presumably, although their brains would be sped up to perceive time moving slowly, thus seeing the bullets coming towards them, their physical reactions would not be able to keep up, or otherwise they'd just move out the way before the bullets hit them...?

Fisticuffs

Everything would be slowed down I assume, the bullets and thier reactions, so they'd just get shot in slow motion, not gain a Matrix-like ability to dodge rounds.

I guess!!!