Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunterZolomon

Just saw the trailer for the remake of Total Recall. How did that film get a $200M budget??! It looks great, the cityscape especially. I'm not saying it has much bearing on the overall quality but imagine what Dredd could've looked like with a budget like that.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 06 July, 2012, 12:35:04 PM
Just saw the trailer for the remake of Total Recall. How did that film get a $200M budget??! It looks great, the cityscape especially. I'm not saying it has much bearing on the overall quality but imagine what Dredd could've looked like with a budget like that.

Limited pallete is much better, seriously, with a bloated budget there can be just as much wasted potential. Distractions. Also, as I keep saying...sorry if I'm boringly repetitive, but, the lack of an orgasmobudget means they have to work harder with less...I honestly believe that's the recipe for success here because it won't look like so many other future visions...and will look maybe a bit more like early 70's sci-fi...essentially before star wars. It may feel a bit Soylent Green or Clockwork Orange or THX1138 (before Lucas went back and doctored it). To --- with what the mainstream idiots think...this will fit what I grew up with and what Dredd grew up with, a mix of cheap westerns and cheap sci-fi...and that's Dredd's  --- ing soul. Add to that what I've seen in the trailer...holy shit, I can't wait. Big budget can kiss my arse, few are any good. Warped by greed like everything else. None of the great art or stories on this comic were created with an eye to bucks.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

HunterZolomon

I was actually mostly surprised that something like a remake Total Recall would get a budget like that. I wonder if this means Robocop will reach those levels as well.

Big budget can be good, or it can be bad. Palette is a decent metaphor. From what I've seen of the Dredd trailer I agree with you, it does look awesome. However, bringing the comicbook version of MC-1 to life in all its glory would require a bigger budget. As would several other Dredd concepts.

Goaty

But remake of Total Recall and Robocop are aimed for young generations.

radiator

Lack of budget can be a blessing - I have no doubt that DREDD is going to be - at the very least - a much leaner, tighter film that Total Recall.

Goaty

Now it in this week 2000AD prog! Nice!

blackmocco

Yep. $200 mil. And watch it crash and burn at the box office. Dredd would've too with a budget like that. All style, no substance. What we've got is way better. Leaner, meaner.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 06 July, 2012, 03:08:02 PM
I was actually mostly surprised that something like a remake Total Recall would get a budget like that. I wonder if this means Robocop will reach those levels as well.

Big budget can be good, or it can be bad. Palette is a decent metaphor. From what I've seen of the Dredd trailer I agree with you, it does look awesome. However, bringing the comicbook version of MC-1 to life in all its glory would require a bigger budget. As would several other Dredd concepts.

Maybe the budget is up because PKD is more broadly known in the film industry as a genius because of Minority Report and a Scanner Darkly etc...but it is surprising. I thought the Arnie version seemed to date overnight.

Of course it would be great to see Dreddworld come alive. But I think if they had that dream budget they'dbe tempted to try and show everything, this way they have to allude and concentrate on what they have and not get lost. And this world will be distinct. I still can't believe this is happening.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: blackmocco on 06 July, 2012, 03:41:30 PM

Yep. $200 mil. And watch it crash and burn at the box office. Dredd would've too with a budget like that. All style, no substance. What we've got is way better. Leaner, meaner.
That the spirit!

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: radiator on 06 July, 2012, 03:14:36 PM
Lack of budget can be a blessing - I have no doubt that DREDD is going to be - at the very least - a much leaner, tighter film that Total Recall.
:)

blackmocco

General movie-going public has no idea who PKD is, Booda and even if they did Total Recall doesn't bear much resemblance to his work. This is a point-for-point remake of the Schwarzenegger one but to be "clever" they don't go to Mars. At least Arnie's version was fun. This just looks leaden and pointless.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Teivion

"Its not where you're from its where you're at."

"Its not what you wear, its how you wear it."

"Its not how much money you have, its how you spend it."

dracula1

Wise, wise words forumite.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: BOODA on 06 July, 2012, 03:46:07 PM
I thought the Arnie version seemed to date overnight.

Exactly what I felt as well, it looked awful just a few years after release, hence my surprise.
Then again, judging by the level of quality of average "remake" films, perhaps I shouldn't be.

I guess I just feel that Dredd deserves an epic level of buzz and budget. Even though the version we're about to get might be just the right recipe. ;)

JamesC

Quote from: Teivion on 06 July, 2012, 04:00:32 PM
"Its not where you're from its where you're at."

"Its not what you wear, its how you wear it."

"Its not how much money you have, its how you spend it."

Is that from 'The Cannonball Run' theme song?