Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 07 July, 2012, 11:23:16 AM
Quote from: Mark Taylor on 07 July, 2012, 07:25:48 AM

Really? I thought it fell straight into the abyss right from Stallones immortal opening line "I em... the Ler!", a rendition which is mercilessly mocked and lambasted throughout all of internetland - and rightly so.

The thing that I first objected to is his self-satisfied smirk as he gets off the Lawmaster in the very first shot of his face. It's like he says "Hey, it's me! Don't I look awesome in this costume."

Couldn't agree more. He looks smug and self-satisfied. Dredd is anything but. Even his pose is wrong, everything is wrong. The follow-up where he spouts some bullshit about being out of range of the weapons the perps are using therefore there's no need to take cover is wrong. What? He can see through walls and tell for sure nobody's lurking around with anything more deadly now? Dredd would never be so complacent. Wrong, wrong wrong. The Dredd we're watching here is closer to Mark Millar's Dredd than anything Wagner ever wrote, and we all know how wrong he got it. Even then, it still misses the mark. Stallone's Dredd really doesn't resemble any version of Dredd we know from the pages of 2000AD.

Bubba Zebill

When Stallone discovered how much the fans hated his version of Dredd, he was heartbroken and sought advice from one of America's greatest actors...this was all captured on film, true story, honest. This is what that actor said...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPRwq3QJsk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Mark Taylor

Quote from: BOODA on 07 July, 2012, 01:00:12 PM
When Stallone discovered how much the fans hated his version of Dredd, he was heartbroken and sought advice from one of America's greatest actors...this was all captured on film, true story, honest. This is what that actor said...

Perfection. :lol:

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 07 July, 2012, 01:03:30 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 07 July, 2012, 01:00:12 PM

Perfection. :lol:

That's brilliant!  I laughed till snot came out.

wadew1

Jock liked it

QuoteHeading to the #DREDD movie panel at LFCC. Loved the movie. A visceral, violent, beautiful looking thriller....

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 July, 2012, 11:24:31 AM
You're not thinking about the consequences of that wish. If Stallone issue #'95 had been successful we'd have been subjected to yet more bad Stallone films posing as Dredd simply because their way of doing it would be proven as correct in their minds and we wouldn't be getting the more genuine and authentic Dredd we're getting now, so yes, it's a good thing Stallone issue #'95 was a flop.

You're not getting me Joe. I'm talking about a GOOD Dredd, not merely a financially successful one.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Steve DGenerate on 07 July, 2012, 07:59:09 AM
Best movie Stallone has ever been in is "Copland" (with possibly "Deathrace 2000" as runner up?).

Copland he actually acted in that and pretty well I thought. Mind you the character portrayed complimented Stallone to a t.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 07 July, 2012, 04:08:36 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 July, 2012, 11:24:31 AM
You're not thinking about the consequences of that wish. If Stallone issue #'95 had been successful we'd have been subjected to yet more bad Stallone films posing as Dredd simply because their way of doing it would be proven as correct in their minds and we wouldn't be getting the more genuine and authentic Dredd we're getting now, so yes, it's a good thing Stallone issue #'95 was a flop.

You're not getting me Joe. I'm talking about a GOOD Dredd, not merely a financially successful one.

Whats to say this one wont be good and financially positive ?
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Stan

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 07 July, 2012, 12:49:53 PM
Quote from: HunterZolomon on 07 July, 2012, 11:23:16 AM
Quote from: Mark Taylor on 07 July, 2012, 07:25:48 AM

Really? I thought it fell straight into the abyss right from Stallones immortal opening line "I em... the Ler!", a rendition which is mercilessly mocked and lambasted throughout all of internetland - and rightly so.

The thing that I first objected to is his self-satisfied smirk as he gets off the Lawmaster in the very first shot of his face. It's like he says "Hey, it's me! Don't I look awesome in this costume."

Couldn't agree more. He looks smug and self-satisfied. Dredd is anything but. Even his pose is wrong, everything is wrong. The follow-up where he spouts some bullshit about being out of range of the weapons the perps are using therefore there's no need to take cover is wrong. What? He can see through walls and tell for sure nobody's lurking around with anything more deadly now? Dredd would never be so complacent...

I never did get that scene, especially since there were bullets hitting the floor all around him. It's like they deliberately tried to make it as pointlessly nonsensical and stupid as humanly possible.

Stan

Quote from: karlurbaninternational on 07 July, 2012, 11:31:03 AM
@Danbo: Yup.
Saturday: 5.00pm-5.45pm (UK time)
Sunday: 5.00pm-5.45pm (UK time)

Anyone who makes an appearance is commanded to ask the following question(s).

"Were the other dark judges in the Death's Head Judge Death script, and were their origins the same as the comic?"

Frank

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 07 July, 2012, 04:08:36 PM
I'm talking about a GOOD Dredd, not merely a financially successful one.

There's Sophie's Choice for yez!

Entirely hypothetically, if you had to choose between a Dredd that was financially successful (but was as shit as the Stallone film) and a Dredd film that was a great film that really conveyed the essence of the character and his world- but died a death at the pictures- which would you all choose?

First one to point out that we all want a Dredd film that does both is a boring bastard.

shaolin_monkey

We all want a Dredd film that does both.

Beeks

So someone has tweeted about that London comic convention and said DREDD will be an 18 cert?!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Goaty

Quote from: Beeks on 07 July, 2012, 06:54:19 PM
So someone has tweeted about that London comic convention and said DREDD will be an 18 cert?!

Awesome!!