Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but anyone else spot that the blood and some particle effects are actually leaving the frame at points? Wondering if that's a neat trick to maximise the 3D, looks pretty cool .

The clip itself looks tremendous, like comic panels come to life. I'm so happy.

Goaty

Yep here, Keef Monkey :)

Quote from: Goaty on 13 July, 2012, 06:27:35 AM

Nice bullet fire effect!

Blood over the widescreen? Nice unexpected for 3D viewers!

High ex!!!

Michaelvk

GAGH!!! Looking at those images is making me all wibbly inside..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Goaty

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 July, 2012, 09:47:48 AM

hehe! Someone in IMDB was mention of how you change ammo in the Lawgiver as voice-actitived is out of question, is it?

Michaelvk

Quote from: Goaty on 13 July, 2012, 09:56:29 AM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 July, 2012, 09:47:48 AM

hehe! Someone in IMDB was mention of how you change ammo in the Lawgiver as voice-actitived is out of question, is it?

If you can voice activate your car's sat nab, why can't you do it 100+ years in the future on a computer controlled firearm?
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

One extremely gratifying thing that came through from the reviews was that  - despite many doubts - people are really warming to Urban's Dredd as a character in a way that Stallone's Dredd-lite utterly failed leave an impression.

He's a tough sell as a character, and very tricky to get right. Sounds like they have really nailed it. Could this be the point that an American audience finally 'gets' Dredd?

Steve Green

Not sure whether the blood leaving the frame is a conceit for youtube (seen it done in some viral ads) or if it's that way in the film - it might be a good way of addressing the complaint that 3D doesn't really come out, it just goes in - it's a bit gimmicky but sits well in this kind of film.

As for the gun, hope it works better than Siri... "I'm sorry Steve, but hi-ex is not available in the UK"

Michaelvk

Quote from: radiator on 13 July, 2012, 09:59:14 AM

He's a tough sell as a character, and very tricky to get right. Sounds like they have really nailed it. Could this be the point that an American audience finally 'gets' Dredd?

I already spotted (I put the link up last night before I signed off..) someone asking what Dredd stories to read to brush up on the character..

James Stacey

I've had one person on FB asking where to start too

Kudos

Not sure if this has been posted up here already. I couldn't find it...

SFX have the clip of Dredd up on their site http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/13/dredd-hard-hitting-clip/

And they also have some panel footage from London Comic Con http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/13/dredd-hard-hitting-clip/

DeFuzzed

I can't get over how 'gloopy' it sounds. It doesn't just look wet and messy, it sounds it too. Makes me cringe - in a good way! :)

Anyone come across a fuller write-up for the Masters of the Web panel? I've only seen pieces of info dropped out of twitter, and that interview thing above.

Steve Green

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 July, 2012, 10:04:15 AM
Quote from: radiator on 13 July, 2012, 09:59:14 AM

I already spotted (I put the link up last night before I signed off..) someone asking what Dredd stories to read to brush up on the character..

There have been a couple of threads about this - and I just suggested an official page might be a good idea.

Depends which era really...

Mandroid and Satans Island are good standalone ones

Brothers of the Blood

America

Terror/Total War

Mechanismo

I'd probably skip 1 and possibly 2 of the case files to start with, the retro feel may put them off. 2 would need to be read before Origins though.

Tour of Duty collections

Goaty

Case Files 3/4 is good start, to the Dredd, before the biggest changes of events in Case Files 5!

Ooh this thread got to 400pages? Is it awsome!

Still happy about how the Dredd went and lots of positive reactions to it! Def the sleeper hit of 2012!!!

On the day it out on 7th September, I will watch it at cinema, dont care about subtitled as watch it on IMAX at Odeon Cinema at Metro Centre! Can't wait!!

Goaty

Also I would like if the more Dredd films with scripts on their own than based on stories in Dredd, as there is two different format, comic and films... that would be great! AND NO MORE LEAK SCRIPTS!!!

Goaty

Now the clip in Total Film! more positive reactions,

spread the drokk love!

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/new-gore-soaked-clip-from-dredd-watch-now