Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoops

Sorry! Yeah, it was before the new Spidey film...right up there with Total Recall and Batman... and holding it's own - i was hearing just as much noise after the Dredd trailer as the Bats one :)

hoops

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: hoops on 17 July, 2012, 05:39:27 PM
Sorry! Yeah, it was before the new Spidey film...right up there with Total Recall and Batman... and holding it's own - i was hearing just as much noise after the Dredd trailer as the Bats one :)

Sweet.The news keeps getting better and better.....

Spikes

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 17 July, 2012, 05:03:37 AM
Not bad,even my Marvel XMEN buddy from work whos has never read 2000AD  is fed up with IronMan/Thor etc and wants to tag along for some justice....
Folk are fed up with spandex whingers moaning about their girlfriends/parents.

This is where i can see Dredd really taking off.
In a lot of ways, it might be viewed as a much needed alternative to the usual big budget extravagandas that so often fail to deliver. A nice little short sharp shock.

radiator

QuoteThis is where i can see Dredd really taking off.
In a lot of ways, it might be viewed as a much needed alternative to the usual big budget extravagandas that so often fail to deliver. A nice little short sharp shock.

Don't count on it - look at all the other recent dark/violent comic adaptations like Watchmen, Punisher War Zone, Constantine, Kick-Ass... All of them performed weakly at the box office.

Alex Garland's isn't just being modest when he says it'll be tricky to hit $50m in the US.

Dredd is riding high on geek cred right now, but there is no guarantee that that will transfer into box office success.

karlurbaninternational

I hope it does. Really really hoping.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 17 July, 2012, 06:07:04 PM
Don't count on it - look at all the other recent dark/violent comic adaptations like Watchmen, Punisher War Zone, Constantine, Kick-Ass... All of them performed weakly at the box office.

One of them is a good film and one of them is getting a sequel.

Stan

Batman doesn't really help since that's probably seen as the main alternative to glowy spandex and emo teen Marvelistas.

Though even as a fan I'm a little apprehensive about seeing another long-winded Nolan flick. I'd like to see a film without risking several DVTs in the process.

blackmocco

Quote from: radiator on 17 July, 2012, 06:07:04 PM
QuoteThis is where i can see Dredd really taking off.

Alex Garland's isn't just being modest when he says it'll be tricky to hit $50m in the US.

Dredd is riding high on geek cred right now, but there is no guarantee that that will transfer into box office success.

Difference is, they're all shit. Dredd's a far better movie than any of them.

$50 mil will still be a tough sell but feeling a lot more optimistic about it after seeing it and the buzz after the screening. People know this is coming now.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

Sorry. Just to clarify, IMHO they're all shit.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Steve Green

Quote from: Stan on 17 July, 2012, 06:20:11 PM
Batman doesn't really help since that's probably seen as the main alternative to glowy spandex and emo teen Marvelistas.

Though even as a fan I'm a little apprehensive about seeing another long-winded Nolan flick. I'd like to see a film without risking several DVTs in the process.

I know what you mean, I'm tempted to forget about TDKR until the Blu-Ray...

radiator

Just out of curiosity - what is meant by Dredd being a 'Hard R'. Obviously I know the intended meaning, but is there any technical difference in real terms? If the same age group can get in as a regular R rated movie then why should that affect the box office negatively? I mean, District 9 was R Rated and made over $100m...

QuoteOne of them is a good film and one of them is getting a sequel.

Difference is, they're all shit. Dredd's a far better movie than any of them.

Oh, come on - we all know that a film's quality/critical reception makes no odds to it's success or failure. I thought Kick-Ass was tremendous and it got great reviews, but it really didn't do well at all. It is getting a sequel, but I believe that's because it ended up eventually making some money through the home market, and it's unclear if Lionsgate will be involved this time round. I'm getting a slight 'straight-to-DVD' vibe from KA2.

I am delighted about all this buzz and positive reviews though - Dredd was clearly, undeniably one of the films of Comic Con - wouldn't have dared dream that even a couple of weeks ago. Even trying to be subjective, I'd say it's chances of success just went up significantly.

a chosen rider

I think one advantage Dredd has is that it's relatively straightforward to pitch to audiences with zero interest in comics: "violent sci-fi cop movie" covers it pretty well, and ought to give people a solid idea of what they're  in for and whether it sounds like their thing.  Explaining what something like Watchmen is about and why you'd want to watch it if you're not into comics is a much harder sell.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Stan

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 July, 2012, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: Stan on 17 July, 2012, 06:20:11 PM

I know what you mean, I'm tempted to forget about TDKR until the Blu-Ray...

I was actually just thinking that as I typed. I'd probably end up going by myself anyway (like with Begins). Both sad and lame.

radiator

QuoteI think one advantage Dredd has is that it's relatively straightforward to pitch to audiences with zero interest in comics: "violent sci-fi cop movie" covers it pretty well, and ought to give people a solid idea of what they're  in for and whether it sounds like their thing.  Explaining what something like Watchmen is about and why you'd want to watch it if you're not into comics is a much harder sell.

Very true. Also, ever since it was announced I have suspected that Dredd will go down very well with the 'Dad' or 'Bloke' market - the types that usually go for Neveldine-Taylor and/or Jason Statham films. Hopefully it will have the relatively broad appeal to fans of sci-fi and action, not just comic fans.