Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Wow, and then saved.
Cheers, Mr Goaty:thumbsup:

DKCX

How was Dredd's helmet secured to Mr. Urbans head?
I'm curious after seeing all the intense action scenes, did the helmet go flying off at any stage ?
Did any actor walk into a wall due to the restricted vision with the nose piece ala the famous Star Wars Storm Trooper scene?
Or was it so well designed and heavy that it stayed in place by itself without any chin strap or aid?
Anyone have insight into this?

JOE SOAP

Goaty

He headbutt with his helmet! is that enough?

COMMANDO FORCES

Glue and a nail through the top!

junox

i thought it was a  "SCREW ON " helmet

Stan

So if distribution rights are sold to Lionsgate for $7 million, I'm assuming the production companies themselves still get a cut of the box office? Considering the cinemas themselves get roughly half(ish), it must be a small cut of the overall pie.

MR. ELIMINATOR

They should do a Kickstarter for Dredd 2 if doesn't make enough. Just saw that miniatures thing got $100,000! Absolutely amazing.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 16 October, 2012, 02:03:15 AM
They should do a Kickstarter for Dredd 2 if doesn't make enough. Just saw that miniatures thing got $100,000! Absolutely amazing.

They won't though. It's a hard truth that most people here seem to be unwilling to take on board. It was a business venture. It failed. Like it or not, and I loved the movie, there will not be another one.

GordonR

Quote from: Stan on 16 October, 2012, 01:25:33 AM
So if distribution rights are sold to Lionsgate for $7 million, I'm assuming the production companies themselves still get a cut of the box office? Considering the cinemas themselves get roughly half(ish), it must be a small cut of the overall pie.

That $7 million is what the film's UK distributor is supposed to have paid. (And have hence taken a fairly hefty loss so far on their investment.) Lionsgate was the film's US distributor, and would presumably have paid a lot more.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 October, 2012, 10:01:02 AM
Like it or not, and I loved the movie, there will not be another one.

Yep. Sorry, but Dredd's failed not once, but twice. The first time, it was a big star vehicle that sacrificed fidelity to the source material in favour of blockbuster tropes, and it failed. The second time, it was diametrically opposite and it still failed, even in the face of fantastic word of mouth and great reviews.

What this tells any potential investor is that Dredd, as a brand, has no breakout potential in the mass market. Depressing, but true.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 October, 2012, 11:49:32 AM
What this tells any potential investor is that Dredd, as a brand, has no breakout potential in the mass market. Depressing, but true.

S'right.  Dredd3D gave us a recognisable Dredd that accurately translated a sizeable portion of the strip's appeal to the screen, and had no little charm of its own as a production.  The message is that outside of a small-ish group, no-one cares. 

On the positive side, the more I read on the web, the more sure I am that the effect on the comics side of the Dredd operation will be a good one: within the audience that did see it, Dredd's credibility has never been higher, and this is unlikely to fall-off any time soon.  Maybe in 20 years' time Justin Bieber's DreddSmellovision will take 'em by storm.

GordonR

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 October, 2012, 12:34:39 PM
On the positive side, the more I read on the web, the more sure I am that the effect on the comics side of the Dredd operation will be a good one: within the audience that did see it, Dredd's credibility has never been higher, and this is unlikely to fall-off any time soon.

Even though the frequency of the Megazine - the comic that actually bears Dredd's name - has just been downsized from 13 to 12 issues a year?

Molch-R

Quote from: GordonR on 16 October, 2012, 01:12:33 PM
Even though the frequency of the Megazine - the comic that actually bears Dredd's name - has just been downsized from 13 to 12 issues a year?

That's a distribution issue, rather than anything to do with the health of the Meg.

It's also worth noting that in the past two months we've had to hurriedly reprint seven major GNs, all of them Dredd, due to selling out.

radiator

I've said it before, but Dredd (the movie) hasn't reached a massive audience yet, but I think it's going to find it's real audience on home formats - and though that admittedly (probably) isn't enough to get a sequel made, what it will do I suspect is continue to attract people to the comics and trade paperbacks for many years to come.

It really is a great advert for the comics.