Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Reading between the lines, it seems like much of the conjecture and confusion comes from Dredd having a more inclusive arrangement for the writer and producers and having a director on more of a work-for-hire basis than in total control. We're so used to hearing about directors driving films and even paying scant regard to source material, and every now and again you hear about a writer who felt privileged to be on set for a little bit. Here, you have a writer driving the film, a director directing it, a DP making everything look great, and so on. That such a collaborative effort isn't more commonplace and has been questioned repeatedly (and now being defined as 'studio interference') is baffling.

radiator

QuoteI think you may be on shaky legal ground with this sort of statment...

If there's anyone on 'shaky legal ground' (and there isn't) it would be Total Film.

Noisybast

Well they're definitely wrong about the Director's Cut of Daredevil...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 October, 2012, 02:41:13 PM
So it's just one man's word against anothers and you have choosen who to believe. None of us were on set, so we could not possibly know.

The second part of that statement's entirely true, Rich. I stated the reason why I think the "insider gossip" seems unlikely to have much substance (last page), but I suppose if Garland was lying about the amount of footage they shot and the amount of footage that was used, my reasoning would be unsound. I'm a big Larry Sanders fan, Rich, so I'm under no illusions about how much deception and self-deception goes on in the entertainment industry.

COMMANDO FORCES

When I see the words According to insider gossip, I just roll my eyes!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 October, 2012, 02:41:13 PM
QuoteAs long as the author of that article's just making shit up

I think you may be on shaky legal ground with this sort of statment...

Taking the article by itself, the author added nothing to the original rumour started on IMDB (by someone who said he heard that everything in the film looked like a car-park) I think he just repurposed what hearsay he gathered on the internet for the 'article' and conflated it. I doubt the author has personal contact with any 'insider'. Putting it all under the heading 'Studio interference' is the giveaway for me that the writer is just filling web-space.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Pete Travis said it was bollocks as well in an interview with Empire.

HunterZolomon

Found an interesting article about the Economics and Ramifications of Dredd

Sorry if it's been posted before.

Also, DVD and BluRay release in UK January 14th, 2013. But I guess you already know that. ;)

Goaty

Radbacker

woo hoo, IT'S DREDD TIME MOTHERDROKKERS
Im off to the cinema

CU Radbacker

Goaty

ThryllSeekyr

Just saw it, and it satisfied me.

Stan

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 24 October, 2012, 03:16:08 PM
When I see the words According to insider gossip, I just roll my eyes!

My super secret sauces disagree!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 25 October, 2012, 02:11:38 PM
Just saw it, and it satisfied me.
Can't say fairer than that!

Radbacker

man that was rather arsom, very pretty to look at for such a violent flick [spoiler]the end of Ma Ma a particular highlight[/spoiler].  Really hope it does just  enough to get a sequal it was great and all, hell that was Dredd, just like a single or two part episode straight from the prog but the story was just a little bit too small, im greedy and want a Mega Epic.  Perfect for what we got though and well even though there was only about 20 people in the cinema they all seemed to be quite impressed by the end and the walking out chatter was very positive. A group of younguns (about 16 or 17) in front of me all comented they were glad they saw that instead of Taken 2 so hopefully word of mouth gets around a bit next couple of days, im certainly goingto do my part.
speaking of which i had no idea people actuallygo to the cinema not knowing what they're going to watch tehre was a couple in the line infront of me who were getting the synopsis read to them by the attendent so they could decide what to watch :o ive never seen that before, anyway despite my gentle attemt to persuade them to see Dredd (i shouted thats the one to see when she was talking about Dredd) they decided to go see Argo, which im sure is good and all but ifeel the poor buggers missed out a bit :P

CU Radbacker