Dredd Comic Reference abeit slightly.
Vid slugs
The window reads from Spanish as the following
books
vid slugs
gift cards for adults

in response to your wishes

58:11 into the movie.

Agree completely regarding morons praising the movie and wishing they had known about it despite my one man campaign with my friends.  >:(

JOE SOAP

Quote from: PreacherCain on 29 January, 2013, 09:38:01 PM
There is no comic-con crowd. Pretty much every film that has screened there to rave reviews and fan geek-outs has flopped at the box office.

Except for District 9, which debuted at Comic-Con.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Michaelvk on 29 January, 2013, 07:34:45 PM
Quote from: radiator on 29 January, 2013, 06:11:13 PM
QuoteThe thing that's most frustrating for me is that the general public are only now realising how good of a film Dredd is. Such a damn shame.

Yep. I imagine many of us have had conversations like this:

"Woah, Dredd is amazing!"

"Yeah. Shame it flopped and they probably won't do another one".

"Yeah, that's so annoying!".

"Yeah, so did you go and see it at the cinema?"

"Um... No...".

Yep..

And also that feeling of people telling me Dredd was awesome.. I. FUCKING. TOLD. YOU. MONTHS. AGO!!!!!

I am getting exactly the same.  It's insane. 

'Oh yeah, Dave, I saw Dredd the other day.'
'Did you like it?'
'Yeah, loved it. I wish I'd seen it in 3D now.'
*sound of me banging my head on my desk*

Bat King

Yeah, I think we are all going through this by the sound of it...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Hoagy

I can't get that following music out of my head. DNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN d, d, d,didudendundnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 January, 2013, 09:56:17 PM
There is no comic-con crowd. Pretty much every film that has screened there to rave reviews and fan geek-outs has flopped at the box office.

Baffling.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BOODA on 30 January, 2013, 09:21:46 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 January, 2013, 09:56:17 PM

Baffling.

Not really. A ComicCon audience is not a barometer of mass appeal, it's just an reaction indicator from a certain sub-culture. Bringing your film to the public is a different matter.

Molch-R

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 January, 2013, 10:22:47 AM
Not really. A ComicCon audience is not a barometer of mass appeal, it's just an reaction indicator from a certain sub-culture. Bringing your film to the public is a different matter.

Well, I'd argue that it wasn't what most people mean when they say 'ComicCon audience'. I attended the screening at SDCC and the vast majority of the audience weren't ordinary cinema-goers, they were professional film reviewers, both from print and online, who promptly went and gave the film massively positive reviews. Which is where the buzz came from.

JOE SOAP

I can see that all right with the increase of attention given to the con in recent years but I suppose it can be a but of a red-herring to believe that a positive critical reception, from any screening, should translate to the box-office when there is so much luck - and money - involved in other areas.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rusty on 29 January, 2013, 05:38:05 PMThe only film there that deserves it going by the past films is Bourne. The rest can suck a dick. Hope they all bomb.
Having watched the most recent one, which was like some kind of patchwork script of bits of ideas, I'm not sure I'd go that far.

radiator

As I said, there are certain film series in that list that were once decent, or at least respected.

I actually really like the first Austin Powers movie, for example, but each installment has got exponentially worse - the sequel was poor and I found the third one completely unwatchable. As I understand it, the most recent Bourne movie was almost universally despised. I wouldn't know because I don't go to see movies I know will be mediocre at best. A lot of people have a soft spot for the first Pirates or Transformers movies, but finding someone with good things to say about any of the sequels... I find it baffling that hordes of people continue to turn out for these tired old franchises, long after they have completely run out of steam.

Of course, I never expected Dredd to be a huge hit on release (I always doubted it would break $100m worldwide), but the absolute apathy/ignorance it was met with was a real shock.

Still, District 9 and Looper did well, so at least some decent genre movies can still succeed simply by being good.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Molch-R on 30 January, 2013, 10:26:56 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 January, 2013, 10:22:47 AM

Well, I'd argue that it wasn't what most people mean when they say 'ComicCon audience'. I attended the screening at SDCC and the vast majority of the audience weren't ordinary cinema-goers, they were professional film reviewers, both from print and online, who promptly went and gave the film massively positive reviews. Which is where the buzz came from.

That all makes sense...but I still can't get my head around it. Excellent film, big buzz, biggest DVD seller....uuuh.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

radiator

Out of interest, does anyone have a link to those two funny Dredd reviews from those Christian websites?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: radiator on 30 January, 2013, 11:41:33 AMOf course, I never expected Dredd to be a huge hit on release (I always doubted it would break $100m worldwide), but the absolute apathy/ignorance it was met with was a real shock.
Quite. It's also a pity that the one comic-book movie to not do a disservice in some way to women also got so overlooked. Those women sci-fi fans I follow (notably journo Laura Sneddon) were very positive about it, and it even got coverage in feminist blogs; but, again, the audience wasn't reached, because most of the people who saw the film appeared to be blokes. A pity.

radiator

It's sad to see it described as a 'bloke's film', as it really isn't - out of the four friends of mine who really loved the film the most, two were girls.

My sister opted not to watch Dredd as she "doesn't like that sort of thing", an attitude that always really bugs me. There are certain genres I'm inclined to like such as sci-fi/action, but I don't discriminate - I will happily watch romantic comedies and musicals, for example - so long as they're good.