Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 January, 2013, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: Rusty on 29 January, 2013, 05:38:05 PMThe only film there that deserves it going by the past films is Bourne. The rest can suck a dick. Hope they all bomb.
Having watched the most recent one, which was like some kind of patchwork script of bits of ideas, I'm not sure I'd go that far.
Yeah, I mean the first 3 with Damon in them (even if the 3rd runs out of steam). I haven't watched the Legacy one, but I hear it's not that great. First 3 were top tier, though.

Hawkmumbler

Got two chums to wtahc it. One decribed it as 'to bright compared to the Dark Knight movies' and the other 'not as good as the one with Stallone'. There both idiots.

radiator

Everyone I know who saw it (probably about 10 or so people) either liked it or loved it. My neighbor, who it turns out is a bit of a Dredd fan, thought it was OK but had some issues with the less futuristic, less comic book look of the film.

vzzbux

Dredd v Chan. Just noticed the indentation left on Chans neck after Dredd chopped him.
Attention to detail, nice.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

radiator

Try freeze framing when Anderson mows down Lex - he fucking disintegrates - his chin explodes and everything. It's awesome, but I didn't notice it at all until I got the Blu.

judda fett

I put a mate on to it the other week, not a genre fan at all but really enjoyed the film. During the cold snap the other week he managed to slip a "Freeze, why?" Into conversation. Needless to say I was pleased.

COMMANDO FORCES

Only had one complaint from anyone who I know and he said he didn't like the CGI blood on screen.

Fast as Drokk I came back with a witty retort saying [spoiler]FUCK OFF[/spoiler]

judda fett

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 30 January, 2013, 08:16:17 PM
Only had one complaint from anyone who I know and he said he didn't like the CGI blood on screen.

Fast as Drokk I came back with a witty retort saying [spoiler]FUCK OFF[/spoiler]

Concise and to the point.

Stan

Quote from: radiator on 30 January, 2013, 08:09:12 PM
Try freeze framing when Anderson mows down Lex - he fucking disintegrates - his chin explodes and everything. It's awesome, but I didn't notice it at all until I got the Blu.

I didn't notice the chinplosion either. She's a right bitch with that MP5.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: vzzbux on 30 January, 2013, 07:46:51 PM
Dredd v Chan. Just noticed the indentation left on Chans neck after Dredd chopped him.
Attention to detail, nice.

V
That made me whince a bit. Not easy to do to a chap who's favourate film is Videodrome.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: judda fett on 30 January, 2013, 08:19:30 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 30 January, 2013, 08:16:17 PM

Concise and to the point.

Touché
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 30 January, 2013, 08:09:12 PM

I'll need to watch that closer, still didn't spot it on the blu-ray.

At the point where Anderson escapes and puts the gun under the gang members chin and fires up through his skill me and my girlfriend both turned to each other in a kind of 'fecking hell' sort of way. We'd both seen the film in the cinema but I'd been under the impression the muzzle flare obscured any fine detail, on the blu-ray there's a ton of gory detail we saw for the first time. Same goes for a few of the shootings actually, it's way more visceral now that you can appreciate the chunky aftermath of the bullets more. I probably sound like a sick puppy right now...

Incidentally, my girlfriend loved it and is always up for watching it again, so all that 'blokes film' stuff seems way off the mark. She's even started picking up the PSI Files collections since seeing it the first time.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 31 January, 2013, 09:28:58 AMIncidentally, my girlfriend loved it and is always up for watching it again, so all that 'blokes film' stuff seems way off the mark.
Here's the thing: women like kick-ass action films, too. What they don't like is action films dripping in sexism and tokenism, which is more or less all of them in that genre. Even films that largely lack the former usually end up with the latter—a pretty good example is Predators. That wasn't a bad film, but it was clear at some point someone important went "er, guys, we might want to have one woman in this, you know, for balance", hence the final line-up of eight blokes and Alice Braga. Given the nature of the film, there's really no reason why that was skewed so heavily. Dredd, by contrast, has Anderson arguably as the most important character and also Ma Ma—two of the three leads. (Or if you want to count Wood Harris as a lead, that's stlll a 50/50 split.)

Fisticuffs

You mean two-way split surely? ;)

radiator

QuoteHere's the thing: women like kick-ass action films, too. What they don't like is action films dripping in sexism and tokenism, which is more or less all of them in that genre.

Absolutely. I'm the same with rom-coms - just as with pretty much every other genre, most of them are lazy, offensive, pandering shit that I have no interest in whatsoever. But if they're well-written, well-acted and ring true they can be among my favourite ever films, like say When Harry Met Sally.