Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I was with him up til this bit:

QuoteOne of my favorite guilty pleasures of the year.

Guilty pleasure? Fuck off.

Quotean interesting building of tension as the ammo begins to run dry

This was something that ever so slightly irked me on my last viewing of Dredd - as he enters the slo mo lab, he guns down two armed guards but fails to take their weapons even though he is already running low on ammunition, which minutes later almost costs him his life. In fact he only actually bothers getting more ammo when he can source ammo for his own gun, which is a little weird.

Hardly story-breaking - and does make for the ace 'hi ex' scene, but still.

darnmarr

QuoteThis was something that ever so slightly irked me on my last viewing of Dredd - as he enters the slo mo lab, he guns down two armed guards but fails to take their weapons even though he is already running low on ammunition, which minutes later almost costs him his life. In fact he only actually bothers getting more ammo when he can source ammo for his own gun, which is a little weird.
Perhaps it can be justified thusly: The technology for 'user-identification-based booby-traps' is available to Judges,- why wouldn't a version of the same technology find it's way to the street gangs?
Obviously not every gang and every weapon,- but just occuring often enough to make it an inherent element of Judge-training that the truly prudent Judge always avoids using unknown weaponry as a matter of life-preserving policy?

radiator

QuotePerhaps it can be justified thusly: The technology for 'user-identification-based booby-traps' is available to Judges,- why wouldn't a version of the same technology find it's way to the street gangs?
Obviously not every gang and every weapon,- but just occuring often enough to make it an inherent element of Judge-training that the truly prudent Judge always avoids using unknown weaponry as a matter of life-preserving policy?

Nah. That's a huge stretch, and regardless it would have been worth the risk in a life-or-death scenario. And besides, judging by Kay's reaction, the lawgiver booby-trap isn't even common knowledge among (fairly high-ranking) career criminals to begin with (presumably because judges are so scarce and thinly-stretched in the movie version as evidenced earlier in the film - "You know how often we get a judge up in Peach Trees?").

Rusty

I assume he never went for one of their guns because he was still surveying his surroundings for possible threats. Note how he never once lowers his Lawgiver. If a perp pops out from behind one of those vats, he has to be ready to fire. He'd be taken off guard if he was stooping down to pick up a rifle, then examine it to see if it's ready for use. Also, the scenario was similar to that of when he killed the other judge: he had back up coming any second around the corner. Dredd became aware almost straight away that the other two judges were behind him and had entered the room where he was, so going for the other weapons was out of the question.

JOE SOAP

The more Justice Dept. ammo he uses, the more free vouchers he gets for the canteen.

Dandontdare

But why didn't he ransack the first judge for ammo after stoving his throat in? - I suppose he may have done off-camera, but he runs out almost immediately afterwards.

I'm guessing these lawgivers are individually-coded, ratehr than any-judge coded (this seems to vary over the deacdes in the comic) as he doesn't take that judge's gun, and nor does Anderson when she takes out the other judge.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 February, 2013, 02:49:30 PM
But why didn't he ransack the first judge for ammo after stoving his throat in? - I suppose he may have done off-camera, but he runs out almost immediately afterwards.

I'm guessing these lawgivers are individually-coded, ratehr than any-judge coded (this seems to vary over the deacdes in the comic) as he doesn't take that judge's gun, and nor does Anderson when she takes out the other judge.
I think he didn't have the time to do that one. He's still on his feet when the other two arrive so it could only be a few seconds between Dredd leaving and then getting there.

Hawkmumbler

I'm beging to wonder if, every time money falls into Alex Garlands bank account, a 2000AD fan somewhere starts fapping. How much have the over all efferts resulted in thus far in earnings (box office, DVD/ BD sales, prop sales etc)?

darnmarr

Quote from: radiator on 12 February, 2013, 01:53:28 PM
Quote...The technology for 'user-identification-based booby-traps' is available to Judges,- why wouldn't a version of the same technology find it's way to the street gangs?

Nah. That's a huge stretch,
I suppose it is a bit.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also what I've wondered about the whole DNA/Gun match thing; How does it detect through his gloves?

Dandontdare

ah that old chestnut. I think the best we've ever come up with is "special gloves"  ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 12 February, 2013, 04:21:49 PM
Also what I've wondered about the whole DNA/Gun match thing; How does it detect through his gloves?

Future Tech  ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

Bloody no edit button now and again Future Tek  ;)

JOE SOAP

Pheremones.

von Boom

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 February, 2013, 05:02:49 PM

Pheremones.

Minute drops of spittle expectorated when he speaks. 'I said "Hotshot"'.