Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: A.Cow on 22 July, 2013, 12:13:00 AM
Based it on the ratio of US vs. International box office.  Hence the $27M figure would scale these as well, adding $12M worldwide and bringing the estimated total income to around $100M.  Still 10% short of break-even.

That's the rudimentary formula I used as well and came up with a similar projection but the film did earn $30 million in pre-sales before release which may well have helped put the film into the black and I'm really not sure whether anything like $40 million was spent on global marketing. There's no figure given other than Lionsgate's standard $25 million (domestic P & A amount they give nearly all their output). There's also the question of whether DREDD was a negative pick-up or service-deal distribution.

Kevin Smith gives a great and simple lowdown on this marketing nightmare and why he decided to market and distribute RED STATE himself.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: A.Cow on 20 July, 2013, 02:03:03 PM
Dunno if anybody's posted this already (after all, 700+ pages is a lot to trawl through), but here are some hard numbers:

Budget:= $45 million(source: Wikipedia)
US Domestic P&A:= $25 millionP&A = prints & advertising; paid by Lionsgate (source: LA Times)
Rest of World (RoW) P&A:= $42 millionEstimated, based on box office pro-rata
-----
US Box Office:= $13.4 million(source: Box Office Mojo)
US DVD sales:= $10.2 million640,000 @ $17/unit (320,000 in first week) (source: the-numbers.com)
US blu-ray sales:= $9.6 millionEst. 368,000 @ $28/unit (based on known 184,000 in first week, source: the-numbers.com)
RoW Box Office:= $22.2 million(source: Box Office Mojo)
RoW DVD sales:= $17 millionEstimated pro-rata
RoW blu-ray sales:= $16 millionEstimated pro-rata
-----
TOTAL EXPENDITURE:= $112 millionEstimated
TOTAL INCOME:= $88 millionEstimated

Forgetting the fact that retailers and price drops will be slicing into those DVD/blu-ray figures, it sadly looks like it's still a fair way off breaking even.

Yeah but that's only for the first week of sales right? It's been in the charts a few times since January so I think it's surely closer to breaking even then that by now.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 22 July, 2013, 01:28:40 AM
Yeah but that's only for the first week of sales right? It's been in the charts a few times since January so I think it's surely closer to breaking even then that by now.

A lot of them are a mix of acutal and estimated totals since January. I wouldn't say those figure are that wide of the mark.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 July, 2013, 12:39:50 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 22 July, 2013, 12:13:00 AM
Based it on the ratio of US vs. International box office.  Hence the $27M figure would scale these as well, adding $12M worldwide and bringing the estimated total income to around $100M.  Still 10% short of break-even.

That's the rudimentary formula I used as well and came up with a similar projection but the film did earn $30 million in pre-sales before release which may well have helped put the film into the black and I'm really not sure whether anything like $40 million was spent on global marketing. There's no figure given other than Lionsgate's standard $25 million (domestic P & A amount they give nearly all their output). There's also the question of whether DREDD was a negative pick-up or service-deal distribution.

Kevin Smith gives a great and simple lowdown on this marketing nightmare and why he decided to market and distribute RED STATE himself.
Are we sure that $25 Million is right?
I saw like 10 or fewer commercials for DREDD and they were all on SPIKE TV.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 22 July, 2013, 02:43:34 AM
Are we sure that $25 Million is right?
I saw like 10 or fewer commercials for DREDD and they were all on SPIKE TV.

Domestic P&A:   $25 million

Goaty

radiator

If that Make a Dredd sequel page want to actually retain their followers they need to tone it down a bit - their news feed is spamming up my wall to a ridiculous degree, to the point where I'm going to hide their posts.

Less is more.

CrazyFoxMachine

It's why I unliked it in the first place but Rebellion endorsement has made me brave a like again. Hand hovering over the 'hide' option though - !

Stan

I recently hid virtually all fan pages from my newsfeed anyway. You can always scan through your alternate page feed on the bottom left. It just got too annoying with the advent of sponsored garbage clogging up the page.

Stan

What I meant was, every time I see a like page I don't particularly want in my feed every day I just hide it. I didn't go through my entire list and do them all in one go!

Goaty

Urban still awesome!

MR. ELIMINATOR

it'd be cool to see how many people have signed the petition

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Goaty on 23 July, 2013, 03:20:28 PM

Urban still awesome!

Karl is such a top bloke.That's one cool dude with him (where did he get the outfit? Prop store only a few on ebay but seen a number turning up with them at conventions -home made?)

COMMANDO FORCES

Those will be home made. There are over 160 of us in a Facebook group that are waiting on our screen accurate complete leathers, body armour, pauldrons and neck brace at the moment. You will see these uniforms hit the convention scene in one massed turnout in November.

The Sherman Kid

Home made !! :o :o  **** me they have done a top class job!

Where will this be in November?