Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 January, 2014, 06:03:12 PM
It's staggering that such a good film on 3D Blu Ray is selling for under a tenner, when the likes of Pacific Rimjob are retailing at £20 a pop!  I can't make any sense of it.

Pacific Rim only came out on Blu-ray in October, when it's been out for a year, like Dredd, Skyfall and Looper, it too will be less than a tenner.

Hawkmumbler

I think age has more to do with it than quality to be frank, the Pacific Rim BD has only been in circulation for a few months while Dredd has been about for a year.

And for my two pence, I gave Dredd and Pacific Rim second place in my favourite movies of the year for 2012 and 13 respectively. Both great takes on their source material and genres.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 January, 2014, 06:11:11 PM
I think age has more to do with it than quality to be frank, the Pacific Rim BD has only been in circulation for a few months while Dredd has been about for a year.

And for my two pence, I gave Dredd and Pacific Rim second place in my favourite movies of the year for 2012 and 13 respectively. Both great takes on their source material and genres.

Bah! Beat me to it Joe!

shaolin_monkey

Sorry, but of a knee-jerk reaction there - I know there's a lotta love for Pacific Rim.

I was talking specifically about 3D Blu Ray. They seem to hold their value for a long time. Except for Dredd, which dropped like a stone, price-wise.  Then you have films like that new Oz one - still £20 in 3D!

Is there a 3D version of Skyfall?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 January, 2014, 06:10:01 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 January, 2014, 06:07:51 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 January, 2014, 06:03:12 PM
It's staggering that such a good film on 3D Blu Ray is selling for under a tenner, when the likes of Pacific Rimjob are retailing at £20 a pop!  I can't make any sense of it.

Because much as I love Dredd, Pacific Rim is a better film?

Seriously?!?

Absolutely. Pacific Rim was my favourite film from last year. Dredd is great, but IMO is not even as good as The Raid... (obviously, opinion on here may vary!)

Dredd has nothing for the casual viewer to hook onto - which is something I realised about it a while ago. Anderson has no real character - pretty much all personality she has is what you and I bring in as comic readers who know the character.
(now is the bit where everyone tells me how not comic reading friends of theirs love it! I loe the movie too - it's just that I recognise my opinion is coloured by my love of the comic)

shaolin_monkey

Ok, it was probably wrong of me to go in from the 'Dredd is a better film' angle.

Lets look at it just from the perspective of age then. If you browse the 3D Blu Rays on Amazon that came out around the same time as Dredd, you'll be hard pressed to find many under £15, even harder around the £10 mark, and almost impossible at £7!!!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 January, 2014, 06:14:18 PM
I was talking specifically about 3D Blu Ray. They seem to hold their value for a long time. Except for Dredd, which dropped like a stone, price-wise.

It didn't really, it's price only dropped in the last quarter and among the 3D/2D blu-rays Dredd is the only one that is a single disc release (no DVD included or seperate 2D bluray)  which means they can flog it cheaper.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 January, 2014, 06:21:16 PMLets look at it just from the perspective of age then. If you browse the 3D Blu Rays on Amazon that came out around the same time as Dredd, you'll be hard pressed to find many under £15, even harder around the £10 mark, and almost impossible at £7!!!

All blu-ray 3D films on amazon best-sellers are 2 disc (or more) releases and Dredd is only one of two others that are single disc releases:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/dvd/535556031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_d_h__1_2_last

The other single disc release is Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor but that's only out been for a month and it's at £11.25.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 January, 2014, 06:16:14 PM

Dredd has nothing for the casual viewer to hook onto - which is something I realised about it a while ago. Anderson has no real character - pretty much all personality she has is what you and I bring in as comic readers who know the character.

Woah, my brain can't have registered that when I first read it! WHAT?!? Nothing to latch on to? She's orphaned, having lost her patents to cancer. She's a failure, being given a second chance. She's naively entering a dangerous world she thinks she can somehow improve. She's being tested by a badass superior. She's the underdog!  What's not to latch on to?!? And where is any of that mentioned in the comic?

IndigoPrime

Mm. My wife would disagree with Mr Clements on that—she loved the Dredd film and Anderson resonated with her. I'm not sure she's read any Dredd comics, and she's certainly never read any Anderson ones.

Dark Jimbo

Shaolin Monkey's hit the nail on the head there. I could actually tell you more about film Anderson than I could comic Anderson, to be honest.
@jamesfeistdraws

IAMTHESYSTEM

Make Judge Anderson a sequel now.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

dweezil2

Not wanting to start a "my film's better than your film" war, but I thought the script for Pacific Rim was dire and the Robo-suits pummelling monsters got pretty old, pretty quickly as well as the gratingly unfunny two scientist characters, while Dredd has been my favourite Sci-Fi/Action movie for the last decade, still each to their own.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 January, 2014, 06:33:36 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 January, 2014, 06:16:14 PM

Woah, my brain can't have registered that when I first read it! WHAT?!? Nothing to latch on to? She's orphaned, having lost her patents to cancer. She's a failure, being given a second chance. She's naively entering a dangerous world she thinks she can somehow improve. She's being tested by a badass superior. She's the underdog!  What's not to latch on to?!? And where is any of that mentioned in the comic?

Yeah, really can't agree what Rich wrote about this either.

Many of the positive reviews of Dredd gave special mention to Anderson as a strong character with a well developed arc.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Goaty

I thought Anderson was brilliant in Dredd, from Rookie at start into badass Judge.