Main Menu

Bristol Expo 2006 debriefing!

Started by House of Usher, 15 May, 2006, 03:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longmanshort

I would have thought there would have been more comments on the outburst by Dez Skinn on the awards stage and how the awards just went downhil there after.

Standing at the back meant it was difficult to hear what was being said, but to be honest I just stopped listening ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Leigh S

So what was the jist of this rant, then?

paulvonscott

Logan, I assumed we were all just trying to avoid mentioning the whole sorry mess :p

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Yeah... I heard Dez had said something when the tooth panel had a start of murmuring on the subject and Matt looking and sounding none to happy and wanting to avoid commenting on it.

Did'nt realise Dez had gone as far to say what he did though.

Finn Sinn

Dunk!

Damn, wish I'd stayed for the awards now.

Dez Skinn not coming to the 30th anniversary celebrations then? :)
"Trust we"

Bico

"no comment" Never instills me with confidence in the best of circumstances.

Marbles

"Tooth and the Meg would be liquidated by next year"

Holy guacamole!

Can anyone add any more info on this ? Insider knowledge or just a drunken rant ?

Next months 'Comics International' should make interesting reading either way !  
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Dan Kelly

I know that there have been mutterings in previous years about tooth and the meg winning Eagles, due largely to their better ability to in mobilising their readers to vote.  

Wonder if "Lying in the Gutters" will have any more info?

paulvonscott

It should be said that very similar comments were made by the same person (2 or 3 years ago at another awards ceremony) about changes in Magazine distribution bringing about the sudden doom of 2000AD and the Meg, and they turned out  to be simply a bit of scaremongering.

Comments were made this time that making the price better value would bring about the sudden doom of 2000AD and the Meg, should be taken with a large dose of salt, possibly not even orally.  Again it might all sound very dramatic, but it was just scaremongering, and we'll still be here in another 2-3 years.

The main difference is that this time, both the organisers and the crowd made no bones about not liking it!  It all got a bit pantomime in the end, but the editor who accepted the award did it with more grace than I would have managed!

Bico

I'd want to know where Dez is getting his information - especially given that he's noted for being opinionated (even on his Wikipedia entry) - before I started worrying.  It could have been nothing more than a drunken jibe prompted by his preferred candidate not taking the vote, which would explain why he was trying to make up with Matt Smith , as even if the story is utterly groundless, it paints a poor picture of 2000ad and the Meg's viability as advertising space to trade figures.

radiator

I'm sorry if i'm not understanding this right, but what else is out there that could have won? Small press titles? U.S. Imports? Action Man? The Beano? 2000ad and the meg are among the only original comics on the shelves of newsies. They are the last bastion of the British comics scene, and should be supported by all comics fans, surely? What is everone's problem with it winning a few awards now and again?

Dudley

Standing at the back meant it was difficult to hear

Standing?  Were you not deafened by passing satellites?

W. R. Logan

never, someone makes a drunken, unfounded and even personal attack on 2000 AD and even when he was told to fuck off first by the Rebellion table and then even louder by the audience he tried to carry on with his jibes and it took Mitch Benn to end it and get the awards back under way. Personally I think Matt shoul dbe aplauded for manner in which after that he calmly accepted the award, make a reasoned mention of the comments and then carried on.
It was also good of Biff Averre to then make mention of the comments and after the awards others to approach the table and distance themselves from what was said.
Like others have said he may have had a few shandies too many but its not the firts time that he's stood on an awards stage and said things about 2000 that still havent come to pass. Maybe if he says it long enough it'll happen before he curls up his toes.

W. R. Logan

>"no comment" Never instills me with confidence in the best of circumstances

I think you'll find it was more dignified distancing  from the rants so that the things could carry on and not spoil everyones evening.

Funt Solo

Dez Skinn and Biff Averre?

Does the Bristol Convention exist in a comic-based alternate reality?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++