Main Menu

Meg 359 rookie move

Started by moly, 11 April, 2015, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: staticgirl on 18 April, 2015, 03:29:24 PM

Also. That Lee Carter. Years ago when I first saw his art I thought it was a bit stiff but now he is one of my bestist, most favouritist artists going. He does lovely sad eyes and amazing atmospheric landscapes (whether urban, rural or inter-dimensional). If he illustrated Dinosty II it would still be brilliant (but please don't).

Totally agree.  To some extent, his posing looks like it's still developing to some degree, as occasionally folk look a bit.....static when they should be in action....but they are still brilliantly realised.  The madness of the Indigo Prime stuff....the organic look of Seraphim....sheraphin?  Sarah Finn??  You know.... the one with the angels n'at!  All beautiful work.  Met him at Sci-Fi Scarborough, absolutely lovely bloke, got a sketch off him which he spent AGES on compared to what I expected, it was cracking, ad cost me a mere fiver!  A FIVER???  Couldn't believe it, such value!!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

WhizzBang

Some negative comments here and I want to make a positive one os that the Megazine staff can see the views are not universal. I am very much enjoying the megazine and do not regret subscribing one bit.

The reprint 'floppies' are all new to me ane I love them and only wish I could get hold of the previous Black Siddha, DeMarco, etc (eBay prices are very steep for megazine back issues to overseas buyers).

I am enjoying all the strips - even American Reaper which I think is actually a good script let down by the art style. I am guessing it has been a bit of an experiment that hasn't really worked out but they needed to stick with it until the end. I also enjoy the interviews with the writers and artists and think they make a nice change of pace to the whole package.

Keep up the good work.

Hawkmumbler

Whats this about Holocaust Squad getting collected? I thought it was naff from the preview.

Steve Green

It's part of the current volume in the Dredd Mega Collection.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 April, 2015, 12:53:45 AM
From Dead Zone to The Cop, Meg Dredd's been consistently head and shoulders above anything in the Prog for almost a year

I'd gladly pay a fiver per month for Flint's art, and The Cop is so rich and rewarding it feels like a couple of years' worth of comics in five issues.

It's unfortunate that the best Dredd stories, featuring the top talent, are running in a comic most 2000ad readers rarely buy, but then Dredd's own title is probably where the best Dredd stories belong.

If that's a tricky balance to get right, the Dredd to-non-Dredd content ratio has puzzled Megazine editors since 1990, but this issue features 5 strips and 4 of them feature major Dredd characters [1], so I'm not sure where calls to get back to core principles are coming from.

The only way the comic could be more Dredd focused is if it consisted entirely of actual Dredd strip. I'd only be in favour of that if the Meg shifted to serialising a single story per issue, giving top creators the opportunity to tell more complex stories and employ different pacing than the six page format of the weekly allows.

[1] rather than the tedious glut of anonymous judges from around the globe that clogged the arteries of the comic in the early nineties

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Butch on 18 April, 2015, 08:14:02 PMThe only way the comic could be more Dredd focused is if it consisted entirely of actual Dredd strip. I'd only be in favour of that if the Meg shifted to serialising a single story per issue, giving top creators the opportunity to tell more complex stories and employ different pacing than the six page format of the weekly allows.

I'd love that but it'll never happen.

Fungus

Most 2000ad readers rarely pick up the Meg? Suppose that's right, the forum does constitute an unrepresentative group. Curious what the circulation is for both.

James Stacey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 April, 2015, 08:27:18 PM
Quote from: Butch on 18 April, 2015, 08:14:02 PMThe only way the comic could be more Dredd focused is if it consisted entirely of actual Dredd strip. I'd only be in favour of that if the Meg shifted to serialising a single story per issue, giving top creators the opportunity to tell more complex stories and employ different pacing than the six page format of the weekly allows.

I'd love that but it'll never happen.
How awesome would a 'Commando' format Dredd monthly be. Pretty awesome.

Skullmo

I still don't understand why there were 8 pages of reprint from a Mega Collection in this issue. Anyone know?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Ghost MacRoth

Judging from what others have posted, it would appear someone failed a deadline/loss or damage to their pages, and there was a void of 8 pages, so they filled it with the first thing that came to hand.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Skullmo

That is just speculation though. I am trying to decide whether to renew my Meg subscription at the moment and although 8 pages of wasted pages may not be important to some I find it a bit cheap that it has just been dumped into the comic with no explanation.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Hawkmumbler

These things happen, it's when it becomes a regular occurence you need to worry.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Skullmo on 20 April, 2015, 03:50:12 PM
That is just speculation though.

True.  I certainly hope that's the reason though, cause if it was always intended as 'content' rather than 'emergency filler', well that'd be a bit shit to say the least.

Proudhuff

Quote from: James Stacey on 20 April, 2015, 12:03:04 PM

How awesome would a 'Commando' format Dredd monthly be. Pretty awesome.

Not Monthly, but I think of the Zarjaz fanzine as this
DDT did a job on me

W. R. Logan

Was it a paid for advert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk